Author Topic: Horn Problem.  (Read 526 times)

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
  • Membership Level: Active
Horn Problem.
« on: October 03, 2018, 05:44:56 pm »
So I bought a new Denali Sound Bomb horn to replace the stock horn on my C14. I didn't want to go thru the process of putting in a relay so this seemed like a simple remove and replace and plug and play. I removed the stock horn, installed the Sound Bomb, connected the 2 wires,  hit the button, clunk sound but no horn sound. The paperwork said no polarity but I thought maybe it would make a difference... switched the wires around, no horn...just clunk. Maybe the horn is bad? Removed it and put wires on it and tested it on my car battery...great sound. I took the stock horn and hung it from the wires on the bike and it had full horn sound. Hung the Sound Bomb from the wires....no horn sound, just the clunk. Am I losing my mind on this simple swap? I thought maybe the new horn needed a little more ground or something so mounted the bracket in place hoping for a nice ground and horn sound? Clunk sound. Am I missing something?
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Horn Problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 06:21:59 pm »
I think you need the relay......or the electrical system of a car......the relay is probably easier. :)

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 06:51:38 pm »
The clunk indicates low voltage at the horn.  Might just be a poor ground connection at the horns but more likely the horn switch and the wiring are not rated for the High Current draw of the aftermarket horns.  You may eventually burn the contacts of the horn switch so that it becomes unusable.  Install the relay and wire it up properly and the problem will be solved.

Fred
Wa2gzw
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:00:45 pm by Fred_Wa2gzw »

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 07:13:53 pm »
I just looked at the Sound Bomb Horns.  If you have the Sound Bombs with the compressor that are rated to draw 20 Amps You Definitely Need a RELAY!!   

If you have the SoundBomb Mini which is just an electro mechanical horn that only draws 5 amps it should work fine w/o the relay.

If you don't blow the fuse you may burn up the wiring harness and or the switch if you are trying to power a compressor type horn without the buffer relay.

Fred
Wa2gzw

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 07:26:27 pm »
Was doing a bit of research and found this review on twisted throttle. 

Review 1 Votes 3
Gender Male
Age 55 to 64
Riding Style Sport Touring
★★★★★
★★★★★ 5 out of 5 stars.   · a year ago 
Impressive sound, once I did this:
With an electronics background, I know a horn of this type should not have a polarity preference (and the instructions confirm this, even though the literature marks the terminals positive and negative.)  The new horn I attempted to mount definitely had a preference, as one connection produced a feeble wail while the other produced its full sound.  So I suggest you try the horn wires both ways.  I also made my own custom bracket, which was necessary to mount the new horn in the exact same location as the stock horn.

✔ Yes, I recommend this product.

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Bicycle
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 07:57:14 pm »
Something I found when wiring in horns on my '15:

Thanks, Ted.  Yes, they are running thru a relay. I mounted them on the left side right behind the radiator, where some mount the Rostra CC. I'll post a picture tomorrow. I've seen your photos of your installation but I I just didn't  see how I could get my hands up there and do the work.   ::) :truce:
I didn't know the wires to the stock horn are always hot. I tied the relay to one with other side of the relay to ground. So, when I turned on the ignition the d*mned things go on and stay on.   :-\ :-\ :rotflmao:  I'm  doing a "What the....!!"   :-[ :truce:   I spent a half hour looking thru horn threads here before figuring out to run both sides of the relay thru both stock horn wires in series.    :great: :beerchug:  Anyone know why the horn is wired this way instead of one side grounded and the other on a normally off circuit?

Link: http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/what-have-your-done-to-your-c14-today/msg646461/#msg646461
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 10:06:05 pm »
I just looked at the Sound Bomb Horns.  If you have the Sound Bombs with the compressor that are rated to draw 20 Amps You Definitely Need a RELAY!!   

If you have the SoundBomb Mini which is just an electro mechanical horn that only draws 5 amps it should work fine w/o the relay.

If you don't blow the fuse you may burn up the wiring harness and or the switch if you are trying to power a compressor type horn without the buffer relay.

Fred
Wa2gzw
It is the mini I have and 5 amps is / should be ok from what they say. My Vulcan had a similar setup on it without a problem...I may just send it back. I don't want to screw with a relay even though I have one under the seat for my heated seat already but don't want to run wire or maybe have to remove plastics to do it right. Not sure yet what I will do. If I was going the relay route I would have bought the double horns and made a bracket for them but I was hoping for quick and easy. Thanks for your help you guys....I will think this over and decide when I'm in a better mood. :-[
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 10:09:11 pm »

Review 1 Votes 3
Gender Male
Age 55 to 64
★★★★★
With an electronics background, I know a horn of this type should not have a polarity preference (and the instructions confirm this, even though the literature marks the terminals positive and negative.)  The new horn I attempted to mount definitely had a preference, as one connection produced a feeble wail while the other produced its full sound.  So I suggest you try the horn wires both ways.  I also made my own custom bracket, which was necessary to mount the new horn in the exact same location as the stock horn.

I tried it both ways and neither made any difference....clunk sound. I even started the bike to be sure it was getting max voltage but no go. Good thought though. Thanks.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 04:38:53 pm »

Review 1 Votes 3
Gender Male
Age 55 to 64
★★★★★

I tried it both ways and neither made any difference....clunk sound. I even started the bike to be sure it was getting max voltage but no go. Good thought though. Thanks.

Before you send it back, try the horn directly to the battery or another 12V source.

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 05:02:45 pm »
I tried it to my car battery and it sounds fine....this bike just doesn't have the voltage thru the stock wiring to fire it off. I'm going to send it back....I hope...the ebay seller doesn't speak (type) very good English and thinks I have the larger version Sound Bomb that comes with relay and wiring (which I didn't get) and says I need to install the provided relay....sheesh, what have I gotten myself into. I'm mad enough now I can just shout at cars when they try to run over me.....whatever. Thanks for the support you guys.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 03:11:25 am »
I tried it to my car battery and it sounds fine....this bike just doesn't have the voltage thru the stock wiring to fire it off. I'm going to send it back....I hope...the ebay seller doesn't speak (type) very good English and thinks I have the larger version Sound Bomb that comes with relay and wiring (which I didn't get) and says I need to install the provided relay....sheesh, what have I gotten myself into. I'm mad enough now I can just shout at cars when they try to run over me.....whatever. Thanks for the support you guys.

Then you have to wire it up up using a relay, so you have a direct connection from the battery through the relay. If you want to use it, you could get the wiring harness from Murph's that includes the relay. He offers it for the Stebel HF80 horns. https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=373  You could email him and ask if it would work for your horns. It should work fine.  Good luck. I understand frustration.

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 01:56:42 pm »
A relay is a necessity!

Here is an older horn upgrade discussion. Lots of good info there.
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/horn-upgrade-73194/

Didn't remember that Murph offered a harness when I did mine.
So, I'm using a wiring harness that Nicole {Sailor Chic} built.
   {We keep begging her to build/sell them again..}

If your interested in wiring in a relay yourself, Wolverine found this.
Seems like an EZ way to add a relay.
Only need to cut/trim wire length and install proper ends.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM107FC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MtnRider it's EZ to get your hands in there to do the installation.
Ya just need to stand on your head while doing it... (And have a lift table from HF)  >:D

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Bicycle
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 03:56:59 pm »
Gee, thanks Ted....    :o  ::)  ;D
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline angelo

• Mini Bike
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 10:28:32 am »
Another option is a single FIAMM highway blaster.  Better than stock.  No relay. 

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 02:04:10 pm »
Dual slimline PIAA's with my custom bracket and wire harness, Easy peasy!
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline Road Runner

• Scooter
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 12:11:19 am »
Dual slimline PIAA's with my custom bracket and wire harness, Easy peasy!

+1, or so I've heard on this Forum, but not witnessed in person (i.e., with my hearing). Sailor_chik, let me/us know if/when you get to the point of being able to build-out your custom braket and wire harness again.

Thanks!
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 12:34:48 am »
Another option is a single FIAMM highway blaster.  Better than stock.  No relay.
I put one of these on my Vulcan and it worked great....no relay or rewire...just plug and play and it was much louder than stock. It shows on the specs that the Fiamm is 6 amps but my C14 couldn't fire the 5 amp Sound Blaster without a relay. I would definitely rather have the slim PIAA's if Sailor Chic starts making her setup again. I was just hoping to find a simple install but looks like that may not happen.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:40:27 am by Dirtwiz »

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 05:27:49 pm »
I put one of these on my Vulcan and it worked great....no relay or rewire...just plug and play and it was much louder than stock. It shows on the specs that the Fiamm is 6 amps but my C14 couldn't fire the 5 amp Sound Blaster without a relay. I would definitely rather have the slim PIAA's if Sailor Chic starts making her setup again. I was just hoping to find a simple install but looks like that may not happen.

Installing with a relay is not a complicated process, especially if you use a prewired relay wiring harness like the one Murph's sells. In fact, in the time this thread has been going, you could have probably installed 100 of them.  :))