Author Topic: How long are your headlight bulbs lasting?  (Read 4576 times)

Offline JS_racer

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: How long are your headlight bulbs lasting?
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 10:03:25 am »
very nice Brad!!  :beerchug:

Offline Andrew

• Scooter
  • COG#: 10516
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 01:30:34 pm »
I still have the stockers in my 09.  28k miles.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 02:22:09 pm »
This bulb,
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/15-led-ba15s-bulb/169/

I use some metal tape and put the tape on the inside of the rear plate housing on the top curved area. This allows some reflective light to shine down towards the plate. Since the bulb area in the housing is so small I have gone through 2 LED bulbs on different bikes and most recently the C14. I think the LED bulb gets too hot and fails? KLR one is still going after a few years though.
This bulb has a standard base but a lower profile so it fits in the small housing. I may try and drill 2 small vent holes in the housing to allow some air to stir in there but not water.

You wouldn't have a link for the license plate bulb LED replacement? I haven't been able to find one. Running lights and directional are all led except for my license plate. Thanks
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gggGary

• Bicycle
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 02:55:52 pm »
What LED replacement front driving bulbs did you use GPD323?

How hard is it to get to/replace the front bulbs? 

Brad do you still have functioning height adjustment knobs?
new to me 08 C14 71K miles, Baraboo, WI

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9279
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »
This bulb,

I use some metal tape and put the tape on the inside of the rear plate housing on the top curved area. This allows some reflective light to shine down towards the plate. Since the bulb area in the housing is so small I have gone through 2 LED bulbs on different bikes and most recently the C14. I think the LED bulb gets too hot and fails? KLR one is still going after a few years though.
This bulb has a standard base but a lower profile so it fits in the small housing. I may try and drill 2 small vent holes in the housing to allow some air to stir in there but not water.

You wouldn't have a link for the license plate bulb LED replacement? I haven't been able to find one. Running lights and directional are all led except for my license plate. Thanks

True LEDs do not generate enough heat to burn out. I have LEDs in my desk lamps and after being on for 4 hours I can still touch the bulb and it is only warm, so I can hold onto it as long as I want.

If you have "LEDs" that are generating heat, they are either defective or something is wrong with the circuit.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2014, 04:08:02 pm »
The front running lights are either the 164 or 194 bulb type, not sure buy come from superbright also

looks like 194's, these are the ones I used. They have one that has a few less LED's also listed.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb--13-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/208/

Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2014, 04:15:56 pm »
I have a set of 2200 Lumen CREE LED's in H7 configuration for the KLR I have 2 units. Each unit has its own ballast (like HID's) has a large heatsink on the rear with an intergrated cooling fan. They generate a ton of heat and you would not be able to touch them like a desk lamp in the common LED format.

They are super bright and instant on of course. But the placement of the 2 CREE LED's does not work well in the light housing. This purchase was an experiment. They are in my almost full closet of shame  :'(. I know LED tech will come soon with good placement in standard housings or as replament housing with projectors. Just biding my time.

HID's for the bikes for now with LEDs in the dash, signals, plates and anywhere else I can use them. No bling or accent lighting for me of course. :beerchug:

This bulb,

True LEDs do not generate enough heat to burn out. I have LEDs in my desk lamps and after being on for 4 hours I can still touch the bulb and it is only warm, so I can hold onto it as long as I want.

If you have "LEDs" that are generating heat, they are either defective or something is wrong with the circuit.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Brad

• Mini Bike
  • 2011 C14 Black
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 07:10:02 pm »

I used this bulb for the forward running lights below the headlights. They do a great job at directing the light forward. I opted for these ones due to the high lumens, ease of replacing, (they fit the stock housing without modification), and they don't scatter light to the side. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/wedge-bulbs/194-led-bulb-1-x-1-watt-smd-led-wedge-base/205/ I got them in 5500K rating. While they are slightly bluer than the HID's they still look great.

Replacing the front bulbs, either headlights, or running lights are fairly simple. I access the HID bulbs standing beside the bike facing the front, and the front running lights by removing the small cover just above the front fender, under the headlight.

I do still have use of the height adjustment knob. When I mounted the projectors, I epoxied them right to the stock reflector housing, leaving full functionality of the stock adjustment.
When fire is cried and danger is neigh,
 "God and the firemen" is the people's cry;
 But when 'tis out and all things righted,
 God is forgotten and the firemen slighted.

Firemen: your worst day is our everyday. 

Volunteer firefighters do it for free!

Offline Jeff Kerkow

• Officer
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7524
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 12:04:43 am »
Standard bulbs 2nd set at 61,000 I wish they would not go out at exactly the same time.
It's not a competition, It's a demonstration. "Rowan"
COG 7524 IBA 46513 GLMC 214
16 KTM 690R, 11 Concours 14, 07 Ninja 650 R

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 12:45:44 am »
I found that when one bulb goes out the 2nd is close behind. I have always replaced both bulbs when one goes out. Cars and bikes.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 05:13:14 am »
Standard bulbs 2nd set at 61,000 I wish they would not go out at exactly the same time.

both lamps are on same circuit, when one goes, the other has no buffer, and will see higher available current.. and it will use it, to self destruct... it's all about electron flow... :-X

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 05:43:25 am »
three bulbs, cant tell which is which, as i took photos many years ago... OEM, Phillips, and NAPA 80/100

the pics are OEM bulbs, & OEM (Left) Vs Phillps on right side.  can't find the NAPA 80/100 shots, they stood out visibly..

in all these shots.\, iirc the left lamp was stock / oem,
not a discernable difference to me... just saying.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:56:43 am by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 06:53:26 am »
I don't know what to make of this ^^^

No captions on the photos makes sure that I can't interpret the photos ...
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline PeteTN_zgtr

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:06 am »

both lamps are on same circuit, when one goes, the other has no buffer, and will see higher available current.. and it will use it, to self destruct... it's all about electron flow... :-X

This doesn't sound quite right. From basic circuit analysis, I=V/R, voltage isn't changing and neither is the resistance of the other bulb. Maybe the first bulb blowing causes a short transient spike to the other bulb but steady state current to the other bulb won't be higher.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 10:59:59 am »
three bulbs, cant tell which is which, as i took photos many years ago... OEM, Phillips, and NAPA 80/100

the pics are OEM bulbs, & OEM (Left) Vs Phillps on right side.  can't find the NAPA 80/100 shots, they stood out visibly..

I just changed out the OEM And the Philips this week, so I can make this call.  The OEM is on the left.  The Philips Vision+100 X-treme H4 is in the middle. The Napa is on the right. 

Just for the record, my OEM is also a Philips H4, just not the X-treme +100 variety.
Silver 2011 C-14 and 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT+.  Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 05:23:14 pm »

I just changed out the OEM And the Philips this week, so I can make this call.  The OEM is on the left.  The Philips Vision+100 X-treme H4 is in the middle. The Napa is on the right. 

Just for the record, my OEM is also a Philips H4, just not the X-treme +100 variety.

Thanks, that is what I remember from when I shot those pics 7 years ago.
As for the comparo shots, they were low beam / high beam, and compared 2 oem bulbs to oem on left, phillips on right, there was soo little difference I couldn't tell which ones were which.
I couldn't find the pics that had oem on left, NAPA on right, all my shots were lost by Webshots when they dumped everyone, I had them there labeled, but the labels were lost when I switched them to photobucket..oops

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 06:21:09 pm »

This doesn't sound quite right. From basic circuit analysis, I=V/R, voltage isn't changing and neither is the resistance of the other bulb. Maybe the first bulb blowing causes a short transient spike to the other bulb but steady state current to the other bulb won't be higher.
That's exactly what I meant, just didn't word it correctly.. sorry, it was late.
Also when a filament breaks, it can bounce and short to the opposing lead momentarily energizing both hi and low on both lamps momentarily, with another spike.

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 11:35:27 pm »
Lamps are rated by number of hours and number of strikes. So the daily commuter will have more strikes and less hrs and the long rider will have less strikes and more hrs. They also degrade over time so always change in pairs. One of the bennies of having a 2 light system with high and low is at least one will get ya home. I had the Sylvania and they didn't last long (I mostly am a long rider) and I refuse to participate in this stupid lawsuit so the lawyers can make millions and each consumer will get 2 postage stamps. I'm told that the attorneys can only recover X% of the participants which is why they advertise so heavily under the guise of required by the courts. Anyway, switched to the Phillips and 10k miles later still running strong. Will sacrifice a bit of longevity for sight. And always carry a spare.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline Sandman

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11885
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2014, 02:55:00 am »
Stock bulbs. 17K miles on an 08. So far...
Rob Schlick "sandman"
Lima Company, 3/9 1st MARDIV