Author Topic: How much for a valve check?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Sppd796

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
How much for a valve check?
« on: March 23, 2018, 03:13:38 pm »
So let me start by saying I am lucky.

I have a friend who is a FANTASTIC mechanic and has offered to do my valves for me. He owes me some $$$ (ordered some rifle parts for him though my connections) so I figured I would simply take what I would pay him out of what he owes me.

When I asked him what he would charge me he simply blows me off. I dont expect him to do it for free. What I am looking to find out is what you guys have been paying for a dealership to check the valves. That way I can come up with a fair amount to take off his bill.

Hope that makes sense!

Rhoades

Offline Rev Ryder

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
  • We came. We saw. We Concours-ed.
    • Presbychuck
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7235
  • Membership Level: Executive Director
Re: How much for a valve check?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 03:18:05 pm »
In my area the cost is typically a rather healthy $800-1000 or more if they can up-sell you other maintenance/repair items to go along with it.
Fortis non Ferox
 Shafties Can't Wheelie

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 08:49:41 pm »
The shop I use is approximately $400.00 plus parts. There is a mandatory valve cover gasket replacement. Reason? Better chances of a gasket seal with no leaks.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:33 pm »
Local dealer quoted me $500-600 labor + parts...  Ended up doing it myself.

Offline Sppd796

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 12:54:34 am »
Thanks for the input.

I had planned on ordering a valve cover gasket. Isn't there an o-ring that should also be done at the same time?

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director
  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 01:32:03 am »
Thanks for the input.

I had planned on ordering a valve cover gasket. Isn't there an o-ring that should also be done at the same time?
Murphs sells the Valve adjust kit. Everything you need in one kit. Not Shims though.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 09:58:57 pm »
Thanks for the input.

As noted, Murph's has the gasket set but that does not include the exhaust cam position sensor o-ring which is prone to leak.  But Murph's also has the MOB O-RING, which is highly recommended:

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=528
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 06:37:09 pm »
Thanks for the input.

As noted, Murph's has the gasket set but that does not include the exhaust cam position sensor o-ring which is prone to leak.  But Murph's also has the MOB O-RING, which is highly recommended:

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=528

Check the contents of the kit Murph is selling....again....

It does in fact containthe OEM cam sensor Oring, and also the better sealing MOB style one... he gives you both, just in case..some people have reported difficulty inserting the sensor with the oring I spec'd out, I can't say why, but a couple people have complained... I've sold a bazillion of them, and only had 2 people complain about being too tight... I can't figure that one out.... :??:

I have to assume you actually meant the cam chain adjuster gasket, which is not included in the kit, but as I'm contacting him about that, I'm sure he will add it in shortly...  just to mention it, make sure you look at that tensioner, and also the face it mates to on the head, it will be stuck to one or the other, and can in fact be re-sealed, so no big deal so far, unless you destroy it trying to remove it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:40:34 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 07:12:22 pm »
Well that makes Murph's kit even more useful!  The last time I bought one it wasn't included but I'm glad to see it is now.  No reason to be all the way in there and not change the o-ring.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 07:31:08 pm »
Well that makes Murph's kit even more useful!  The last time I bought one it wasn't included but I'm glad to see it is now.  No reason to be all the way in there and not change the o-ring.

Tru dat... :great:
I'm surprised, as I thought it was surely in the first run of the kits from the getgo, as we all took soo much time compiling that "list-o-parts", might have got missed when parts went into box. He would prolly send ya one if asked..

Also, I did send off a couple messeges and emails to him about that cam adjuster gasket, so it should appear in the next version of kits released, anykne ordering a kit in the meantime may want to ask him to toss that in there, as it might take him a couple days to procure a hundred or so to stockpile... :rotflmao:  its kaw p/n 11061-0299 one required, but truthfully having removed and reinstalled that adjuster a couple times on my bike, and the others I've worked on, never needed to buy one as it was always stuck to the adjuster, and damage free.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 11:58:42 pm »
I haven’t needed the parts for a while now, and just visited Murph’s site. I see he hasn’t gotten around to offering the Super Deluxe 4Bikes kit that included the replacement bolts and some other things I can’t recall at the moment. I could look up our exchange of emails if anybody is interested in what was to be included in the deluxe kit.

From this page. 
https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?products_id=525

This is a basic kit,we will be addressing hardware and fasteners later. Those mentioned in the official shop manual from my understanding are there because the OEM fasteners come with thread locking compound, so if you reuse them…throw some locktite back on em! We plan to have the Super Deluxe 4Bikes, all you ever want package out shortly!
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 11:00:49 am »
Here is the link to the discussion of the parts that would be included in the 4Bikes Deluxe Kit.  It also has part numbers for some of the tools you might need and the hoses if you want to take care of them.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/part-numbers-for-the-c-14-valve-adjustment/
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......