Author Topic: I Joined The rEvolution  (Read 854 times)

Online Speedie

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
I Joined The rEvolution
« on: June 19, 2017, 11:44:28 am »
And honestly I'm not sure what can be said about Steve's Evolution flash that hasn't already been said.

Sure I could talk about how the 1st gear snatchiness has disappeared. How launching the bike from a standstill is easier and smoother than ever as the initial power delivery is more linear and responsive to throttle input rather than binary. I could wax poetical about how mid-corner roll-ons are an absolute pleasure now, or how there's seemingly endless gobs of torque anywhere in the rev range. I could even pay it the huge compliment (IMHO) of comparing the power delivery to the 2nd Gen Triumph 955cc triples that had a torque line rather than a torque curve. Think sideways hockey stick.

But really, you've heard it all before.

The best thing that I can say is that I get off the bike with a stupid grin now. Every. Time. That's worth more to me than dyno charts could ever show, and certainly a lot more than the price of admission.

Thanks Steve for all the hard work, the fast turnaround, and for making riding more fun than it's been since I was a teenager on my first real bike (Yamaha TZR250).  :beerchug:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:15:15 pm by Speedie »

Offline strum

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: I Joined The rEvolution
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:49:59 pm »
 One thing I found was at first Ii would hit the rev limiter more than I ever did so you may wanna watch that if you do a WOT  :motonoises:
  Dang thing is pulling so hard it doesnt feel like its time to shift . I didnt do this before the flash . I attribute this to moving faster quicker than pre flash.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Online Speedie

• Big Wheels
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:26:41 pm »
One thing I found was at first Ii would hit the rev limiter more than I ever did so you may wanna watch that if you do a WOT  :motonoises:
  Dang thing is pulling so hard it doesnt feel like its time to shift . I didnt do this before the flash . I attribute this to moving faster quicker than pre flash.

I haven't had much chance to go WOT yet, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

For the first few rides I wanted to concentrate on some "technical", for want of a better word, back roads around here. Maybe it's just me but I found that the stock bike could sometimes be a little frustrating in its power delivery when getting back on the power exiting a corner. There was a very fine line between nothing happening and the rear tire getting squirrely. I have to learn to trust it, but the Evolution tune thus far feels much more responsive.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 04:35:22 pm »
I found that the stock bike could sometimes be a little frustrating in its power delivery when getting back on the power exiting a corner. There was a very fine line between nothing happening and the rear tire getting squirrely.

This ^ is why the evolution came about. I was up in the mountains at the RWTW rally with one of my other flashes and this ^ was the only thing that was still bothering me. After trying to figure out how the heck to fix it without any power loss, the Evolution came to be; it only took me flashing my bike literally 100 times with different tunes to get it.  I appreciate that you noticed that  :great: Steve

C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 06:49:01 pm »
Triumph triple engine puts a ruler to shame with its linear power/torque delivery!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:52:14 pm by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:52:07 pm »
Triumph triple engine puts a ruler to shame with its linear power/torque delivery!

is this flat enough ? (blue line)

I'm also attaching the dyno run from the newer 955 triumph from sportrider's dyno . Never looked at one of those runs before.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:59:30 pm by Steve in Sunny Fla »
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:46:00 pm »
Nope, 
 according to those dyno charts the C14 engine puts a ruler and the Triumph triple engine to shame with its linear power/torque delivery!
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:59:09 am »
We have to remain objective and compare apples to apples...OE to OE set up.  ;)
955 is as blunt and unrefined as butcher's knife.
Trophy, Explorer  on the other hand ... ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:03:09 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline LakeTrax

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 12:13:05 am »
.....:..

No we don't, join the rEvolution.

I agree that the 955 triple is a good/torquey/fun whatever engine, but who cares when a SISF flashed C14 has 30 more ft/lbs.? Out of the 4 bikes in chart you posted, I still think the C14's torque curve looks the best.

Forget upside down hockey stick, Steves chart is water at surface tension-

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 01:39:33 am »
No we don't, join the rEvolution

Changing the world one flash at the time - Awesome!

Offline Lurch71

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 01:53:50 pm »
.....:..

No we don't, join the rEvolution.

I agree that the 955 triple is a good/torquey/fun whatever engine, but who cares when a SISF flashed C14 has 30 more ft/lbs.? Out of the 4 bikes in chart you posted, I still think the C14's torque curve looks the best.

I'm new to the Concours, but I know my 2017 has enough torque and HP to get in some serious trouble and get myself seriously hurt.  The thing is very fast for how big and heavy it is.  >:( :))

Forget upside down hockey stick, Steves chart is water at surface tension-

Offline patatty

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 03:09:03 pm »
I found that the stock bike could sometimes be a little frustrating in its power delivery when getting back on the power exiting a corner. There was a very fine line between nothing happening and the rear tire getting squirrely.

This ^ is why the evolution came about. I was up in the mountains at the RWTW rally with one of my other flashes and this ^ was the only thing that was still bothering me. After trying to figure out how the heck to fix it without any power loss, the Evolution came to be; it only took me flashing my bike literally 100 times with different tunes to get it.  I appreciate that you noticed that  :great: Steve

I can recall more than once stalling while trying to be smooth starting off from a stop (with a passenger).  The same anxiety would be present when taking low-speed corners.  For those and a couple of other reasons (including the weight of the bike), I was considering trading it in for something different.   

The difference with the Decel and now EVO flashes is definitely noticeable and has transformed the bike into a much more enjoyable ride for me.  The smoothness has also made the weight less of a factor at low speeds.