Author Topic: If you want blood....  (Read 580 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline ZXtasy

  • Moped
  • **
  • Posts: 216
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
If you want blood....
« on: December 31, 2017, 07:17:32 pm »
You got it!  SO this is C14 air filter related. Since I am 99% finished with my winter project Suzuki Bandit 1250, and stalled on the remaining 1% until I go back to work and have access to the 3D printer and waterjet, I decided it was time to pull the filter on this girl since I got a brand new HiFlo or the like when I purchased it last April. I was not on this forum but just googled it and the first 2 vids were very helpful, likely by members here.

I was warned that bigger hands would be an issue, and my mitts are up there, so it was not fun and took way too many tools. I also found a very sharp plastic corner that showed its fangs, but it was easily dealt with. Notched the lower hole on the baffle/relay bracket per suggestion so it only will need to have the bolt loosened. Still managed to drop the upper 10mm bolt into the abyss when reinstalling, but that was probably because by then my meathook was cramped and bleeding.

With 8400 miles on the stock filter it was pretty dirty, at least 75% occlusion, so it should like the freer breathing to go along with the MR flash. Next time it will go mush easier, but I can't imagine how many owners who are not tool savvy must gasp at what the dealers want to charge for this, though I can't understand why they would necessitate any more removal of panels than the 3 pieces involved here.
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Online gpd323

  • Street Cruiser
  • ****
  • Posts: 947
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: If you want blood....
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:02:38 pm »
If I don't get cut, get a bruise or somehow hurt when working on the cars and bikes then I know they don't like me. I find that if they do like me I get a nice love bite like yours.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Dragunslayer

  • Big Wheels
  • Posts: 5
  • " An APEX is a Terrible thing to Waste!!"
    • No-Mar Tire Changers
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: If you want blood....
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:27:47 pm »
You got it!  SO this is C14 air filter related. Since I am 99% finished with my winter project Suzuki Bandit 1250, and stalled on the remaining 1% until I go back to work and have access to the 3D printer and waterjet, I decided it was time to pull the filter on this girl since I got a brand new HiFlo or the like when I purchased it last April. I was not on this forum but just googled it and the first 2 vids were very helpful, likely by members here.

I was warned that bigger hands would be an issue, and my mitts are up there, so it was not fun and took way too many tools. I also found a very sharp plastic corner that showed its fangs, but it was easily dealt with. Notched the lower hole on the baffle/relay bracket per suggestion so it only will need to have the bolt loosened. Still managed to drop the upper 10mm bolt into the abyss when reinstalling, but that was probably because by then my meathook was cramped and bleeding.

With 8400 miles on the stock filter it was pretty dirty, at least 75% occlusion, so it should like the freer breathing to go along with the MR flash. Next time it will go mush easier, but I can't imagine how many owners who are not tool savvy must gasp at what the dealers want to charge for this, though I can't understand why they would necessitate any more removal of panels than the 3 pieces involved here.

sorry about the wound, but only rooky mechanics would not know the short route. Years ago I had a Valkyrie and the manual said you had to drop the exhaust to remove the rear wheel for a tire change. When I questioned the dealer regarding this I got a weird look as he said whether they did it by the manual or the short cut way the price was the same. That's what there billable time was.
Kevin Reinhold
Robertsville, MO
Assembly Worker for No-Mar Tire Changer
15' Kawasaki Concour 14
15' Susuki GSX-S1000F

Offline Brooke_Benfield_OR

  • Moped
  • **
  • Posts: 206
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 2185
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: If you want blood....
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:35:13 pm »
Now now ZXtasy...tsk...tsk.

You should know that if you're gonna stick your hands where the sun don't shine on the ol' gal, you have to talk nice to her first.

 :))
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline ZXtasy

  • Moped
  • **
  • Posts: 216
  • It rides the bike or it gets the lotion!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12569
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: If you want blood....
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:52:14 pm »
Guess I should have had gloves and lotion on...and some Barry White playing.
I should not be surprised, my dad raised me with the belief that if you are not bleeding somewhere, you are not working hard enough.

Clear and 30 for the high tomorrow..WE RIDE!!
2013 ZG-1400, 2005 ZX-10R (Nekkid), 2012 TW-200, 1999 TW-200....and more to come.

Offline Boomer

  • Street Cruiser
  • ****
  • Posts: 976
  • Me dwarfing Vivian
    • Boomers GTR Site
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: If you want blood....
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:26:04 am »
Ah, the joys of Vampyre Motorcycles:D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK
CDA-007


Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

  • Road Bike
  • ***
  • Posts: 373
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10400
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: If you want blood....
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 02:43:24 pm »
Welcome to The Club!!-lol  and it does happen to lots of folks not just "rookie mechanics,"  It may be that it happens to fewer "rookie mechanics" as they usually work a little slower and are more careful not to do damage or get hurt.

Fred
Wa2gzw

Offline Dragunslayer

  • Big Wheels
  • Posts: 5
  • " An APEX is a Terrible thing to Waste!!"
    • No-Mar Tire Changers
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: If you want blood....
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 02:48:20 pm »
Welcome to The Club!!-lol  and it does happen to lots of folks not just "rookie mechanics,"  It may be that it happens to fewer "rookie mechanics" as they usually work a little slower and are more careful not to do damage or get hurt.

Fred
Wa2gzw

LOL I was not meaning we are rookie mechanics ( poor choice of words ). That statement was regarding dealer mechanics. If it were not for youtube and guys that take the time to video their work I would probably take the long route and be cussing along the way.
Kevin Reinhold
Robertsville, MO
Assembly Worker for No-Mar Tire Changer
15' Kawasaki Concour 14
15' Susuki GSX-S1000F

Offline ron203

  • Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • ****
  • Posts: 3907
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: If you want blood....
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 03:57:54 pm »
I almost always leave a little "blood offering" but got lucky when I did the air filter change a couple of weeks back and missed the "sacrifice" part. The OEM bike owner's manual has pretty decent instructions IF you remove the side panel.
2014 C-14