Author Topic: I’m almost officially one of your own!  (Read 451 times)

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Pending Proc
  • Membership Level: Active
I’m almost officially one of your own!
« on: October 30, 2018, 05:40:49 pm »
Been drooling over a Connie even before I bought my 2000 ST11 a couple of years ago (rescued from a backyard at my buddies house). Saw a second gen concours at McDonald’s one time while eating lunch with my now ex wife, and decided “Hmm...I believe I need one of those in my life some day soon.”

Welp, that day will be happening in November! Put a down payment on a 2012 dressed in black. It has a aftermarket windshield, seat, risers, givi e55 trunk, highway pegs, two brothers carbon fiber slip on, ram ball phone mount, knee/tank pads, and a brand new set of michelin’s. All for $5,195 out the door!!

Waiting on some backpay from work to finish paying it off, and the girlfriend and I are tentatively planning on renting a car on a Thursday, picking it up (7ish hours) and I ride it back home on Friday. Hopefully the weather holds up. Don’t really care about the temp too much, just the precipitation.

I’m pretty excited!! May have to adjust the valves when I get it home (trying to get a hold of the previous owner for some history), but that doesn’t scare me at all...

Plans over the winter are suspension upgrades (ZX front end, Penske rear), a good thorough service, shoodaben flash if it doesn’t have one yet, and I may go ahead and paint it something besides black while I have the Tupperware off.

What do you guys think? Good buy? I’m thinking so even with 65k on the clock....

Frank

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: I’m almost officially one of your own!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 05:50:44 pm »
Sounds like a good buy Frank :great:, almost makes me cry to think what my '11 is worth with 50K+ miles on'r.  :'(

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:59:25 pm »
Yea, this one was the cheapest/newest I had the patience to find, but it also had twice to three times the mileage. Wanted to buy a leftover ‘17 for a minute, but just couldn’t pass this one up for the money and its farkled 90% already...

Frank

Offline sininja

• Moped
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 06:28:10 pm »
I sold my mint 11 with 15k miles for $5k last month.  Been for sale all year. 

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:51:30 pm »
Congrats on the new toy Bueller.
Now, come ride with us!

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 10:51:14 pm »
Got several bike trips planned for next year, plus whatever weekend excursions I can fit in...gonna be a little tough with thu/fri off but I’ll try to hook up with you guys when possible!

Frank

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 11:21:46 pm »
hi Frank,
Welcome to the forum. Might want to check into the club, and into club members in your area, North Central has some good people (I used to be one of them), and there are a number of neat events in the region that will make it easy to meet other crazies  :)
You did well. One thing Connies are known for is durability. There is at least one running around with over 200,000 miles, and he's not done anything to it other than maintenance.
Yeah, I think you better paint it, hate to confuse it with my black 2012 - LOL

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 02:41:37 am »
Planning on ‘paying up’ after I get it bought. Rick Davis was gracious enough to let me ride his bike (along with several other offers) a while back, so I met him already. He filled me in on some happenings. Haven’t seen any engine failures perusing the inter webs so far, so that’s why I’m not worried about the mileage. That being said, I will be busting out my fine tooth comb once I get it home and settled in. Hmmmm...what color should I go with 🤔

Frank

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 03:35:39 am »
. Hmmmm...what color should I go with 🤔   

How about Barney purple?

That would be Candy Amaranth Red Mica.  >:D :beerchug:

Welcome aboard.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline Shawn

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12217
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 12:20:22 pm »
Welcome Frank!  COG is a fine group of folks that I have learned a ton from.  Get out and meet some of them.
Run w/ the Bullfrogs - Jan. 4-6
Jennings Track Day - Feb. 8-10

'14 C14 Black

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 04:06:34 pm »
Lol, let’s not get ahead of ourselves with the purple, there.....
My truck is ford’s ‘real blue’ (dark metallic blue) color which I really like  so I thought about either that, or the ‘15 green.

Welcome Frank!  COG is a fine group of folks that I have learned a ton from.  Get out and meet some of them.

Will do! There’s a manager of a tires plus store with a second gen about 3 blocks from me. I see it in the parking lot and parked right by the building quite a bit. I don’t believe he’s a subscriber yet, but I’m gonna run by there and talk to him about it next month 🧐

Edited for proper etiquette 🙂
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:56:32 pm by Bueller »

Offline Bueller

• Tricycle
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 01:01:44 pm »
Update: Got home with it last night. Little bit of a chilli ride, but not terrible. They had snow Thursday morning, and we made it there within an hour of closing. I had to drive through a little bit of snow to get it to the road from the back dock. The building was a sears store back in the 1920’s...
I talked them down $500 since it has missed 4 called for valve adjustments, and they couldn’t show that it’s been done. Might of been able to go a little lower, but I felt like I was getting a fair deal at $4500. Especially with the farkles that were on it already. And it runs great! I did the 3k rpm and twist test, and it heasitated, so I don’t believe it’s been flashed YET. TPMS in the rear needs a battery. It would work fine once the tires heated up, and it was only the rear. They changed them in ‘14 according to the paperwork, so I’m guessing it’s the potted ones...can’t recall when they started using those.
So there’s 0 buyers remorse for this guy. Just gotta get all the maintenance up to snuff, fix whatever is going on with the glovebox (PO drilled a hole in the lid, zip tied, AND velcro’d it shut), and do a little bit of farkling. I think winter is here, so the time may be here to blow it apart, and right all the wrongs!

Oh, and I love the sound of the 2 brothers slip on!!

Frank

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 02:59:02 pm »
Congratulations again Frank.
Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.
I looked back thru your posts. Don't see the mileage on the bike?

As you get to know your new beast come ride with us !!
I don't see anyone has beat me to it, so I'll be the first to invite you to become a COGger..

Maybe we'll see you at next years National?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:48:24 pm »
65k on the odo,( you mention in the first post), followed with no apparent support of any valve inspection/adjustments, and the spotty rear TPS, would have been better addressed by you not knocking $500 off the price, but getting those 2 issues taken care of, right there, before handing the money over... and riding away...it would have been worth that for sure to "NOT" have those 2 issues hanging over the buying price...and that dealer's cost for both, would have actually been less as it would only be his "pay to the tech" that did the work valve inspect, as he could have recouped the cost of the TPS from Kaw without any issue.... but, good deal.

best of luck,

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline DangerousDan

• Deer Magnet Dan
  • Tricycle
  • Every day starts as a 10 when I wake up breathing
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: Today at 03:10:44 am »
congrads, I too am new here, got an old 91 zg 1000  black with red pen stripe, and aftermarket stuff , including pipes.  Love her already, only been a month, I'm already considering the wedding date.  Be safe out there, here the deer are suicidal and the roads slick and bumpy.
So this is a life?  Lets have some fun!