Author Topic: Possible move from C10 to C14  (Read 766 times)

Offline crag antler

• Moped
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8277
  • Membership Level: Active
Possible move from C10 to C14
« on: December 05, 2018, 12:53:03 am »
So I have my DR650 for sale and have an offer on a trade for a 2008 C14. Non-ABS.
Bike has 32000 miles with valves adjusted @ 24000. 2" bar risers which could work out well for me, being I'm 6'4".
2 windsceens and an Area P slip-on.
Coming from riding my 2000 Connie for 10 years and almost 30,000 miles.
This was while I was in Northern New England, so the season is shorter.
Now I'm in the mountains of North Carolina.

Here are the obvious questions:
Weight wise, much different in feel?
What do look for as in recall/ issues with this year?
Comfort and feel?
I'm sure there's more but I have alot of posts to read now.
Hardest thing would be selling the 1000 >:(
Can't justify having 2 street bikes at this time in my life. :'(
Thanks for the input.
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bafflectomy,Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, free power mod, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes, 2 minute mod, carb spa and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF,fairing extenders, CAT O-ring cruise control

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Possible move from C10 to C14
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 01:40:29 am »
having owned both, unless you are specifically considering it as specifically a two up riding experience bike option, and if you own the 2000.. I wouldn't make the trade with additional $$ for a non ABS c14, with the same miles you have on your C10...
The old girl has nice charms, and very LOW $$$ for upkeep, the C14 will end up costing more, and will require more $$ to keep going, they do eat tires, and everything involved has increased expenses...

again, the C10 is a great solo rider, the C14 does require $ parts, and services...
If you love your 2000, enjoy it, and save money, gas is the only deciding factor, and with 30k on it... well, I would eeek out another 100k while enjoying it.
 :great: :great: :great: :motonoises:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline crag antler

• Moped
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 10:07:44 am »
Thanks MOB. The '00 is getting ready to turn 60k real soon, but your words were just what I needed.
Had the old red girl for the longest of all the many bikes I've owned and just couldn't really part with her that easily.
Doug aka crag antler
00 Kawasaki Concours 60,000+ miles. Bafflectomy,Bar risers, Murphs kneesavers, blockoff plates, allen head screw set,headlight upgrade. LED headlight, driving lights, free power mod, JC Whitney trunk, Go Pro mount,’06 header w/Jet-Hot ceramic coating, over flow tubes, 2 minute mod, carb spa and Performance Exhaust Sprocket by SISF,fairing extenders, CAT O-ring cruise control

Offline The Pope

• Crotch Rocket
  • North Carolina AAD
  • COG#: 9994
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 10:31:16 am »
You also need to take your S.O. on a Test Ride with the C14 to get their input as far as passenger accommodations. I know that SportRider had both (C10 & C14) at one time. He sold the C14 due to a passenger accommodations issue. So if he doesn't respond to this thread, you might want to send him a pm.
The Pope
2011 Atomic Silver C-14 (aka TheImprovedSilverDammit)

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." (Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 11:52:22 am »
 I honestly don't think I'd want a c-14 without ABS. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Online CRocker

• Sport Tourer
  • '02 C10 CDA # 416
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 03:26:38 pm »

+1

Offline d04011

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 07:38:20 pm »
+2
2016 Kawasaki ZX-14R SE; 2015 C-14 Concours; 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster; 2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring; 2012 H-D Fat Bob; 2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster; 2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Standard; 1984 Honda V65 Sabre

Offline Bumblebee

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12745
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 08:26:52 pm »
Building on the good advice already given:  I'm your height.  I rode my 1998 C10 for approx 16 years before trading it in for a 2015 C14.  The new machine is 20 or so pounds heavier, but feels lighter, especially with a full tank of gas.  It is also more solidly built, as in, fewer rattles.   Out of the box, it is not as comfortable as the C10, but buying a new seat will dramatically change that.  I picked up the Kawasaki touring seat which worked for me.   Otherwise, the ergos are about the same.  The 2008 is fine, but Kawasaki made significant improvements to the machine in 2010 and again in 2015.  I would look for a gently used C14 from that era.  ABS and ECO are useful features to have.  Beyond that, I loved the C10 but I like the new C14 better.   Good luck!     
2015 Black C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• GOLD STAR
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 09:14:46 pm »

yeah, kinda my feelings also...

as for comfort, my wife was never comfortable on my C10('s) for any appreciable time / distance, like a multi day road trip; afternoon or maybe a long "day ride" with multiple 'breaks" were all she could handle... when I got the C14, that all changed, and we have covered many thousands of miles, and I often have to nudge her, to wake her up because she tends to fall asleep, somtimes I can cover almost 100 miles before she wakes up.....
 :-\ :)) :)) :)) :)) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :motonoises: :motonoises:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline crag antler

• Moped
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 11:45:58 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Messaged the guy and thanked him for the temptation but declined.
If things work out, I may be able to keep the DR.
Definately keeping the C10 as even the lil woman said she would miss the rides on it. :great:
Spring is somewhere around the corner. Especially here in the Southeast as opposed to April like Northern New England :))
Doug aka crag antler