Author Topic: Importance of applying Torque Settings for Oil Drain Bolt and Oil Filter?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline gilbysan

• Tricycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Dudes,

IYO, how important is it to use the Kaw spec's for tightening these all important components. I have always just applied my version of "reasonable manually calibrated torque" but I love my Connie and want us to be together for a long time...ergo, this query.

Further, I think I have seen them but can't for the life of me remember where exactly that was...

Feedback is appreciated.

Gilbysan
gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Importance of applying Torque Settings for Oil Drain Bolt and Oil Filter?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:46:00 am »
I think it's important that the drain bolt and filter are tightened enough to do the job.  There are two schools of thought.  Use a torque wrench or gutentight.  I personally think I've done enough oil changes in my life that I can tell when it is tight enough.  Others will say that you should use a torque wrench on just about everything.  Either way you go, it still requires having an idea of what is tight enough.  A torque wrench in the hands of a rookie can be dangerous as heck.  I have read here and other places of people that can't feel tight enough and maybe have the wrong torque value, or don't know how to use the torque wrench, that strip threads and then have to solve that problem.  If one is concerned that they didn't tighten the drain bolt or filter enough, can always go back later and check to make sure it's still tight.  It's not that hard or time consuming to do.  This is just my opinion and worth what you paid for it. :)

Offline gilbysan

• Tricycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 02:12:45 am »
Bud,

Thanks Mucho for your PoV.  Like you I assume, having done this for about 50 years I cant disagree with anything you say and am comfortable with my technique.  To date it has worked for me just fine.  I have noted that there are many excellent Technicians on this board who have lost sleep over this very question, and will answer up when they see the thread.

Cheers!

BG
gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 02:14:24 am »
You have to get a wrench to tighten anyway. Make it a torque wrench. Not important for an experienced guy but for a newbie, could be important. Over tightening is the bad part. Never get it off. Most people will not under tighten.

Offline mnbikeguy

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 02:24:16 am »
The torque value you're look for is 22 ft/lb. While you won't burn in hell by choosing to tighten by hand, I think the regular use of a torque wrench gives a level of precision that is comforting. Even for something as mundane as an oil change.
On a related note, make sure that the crush washer and the mating surface are clean. A little grit on either often leads to an ever so annoying oil weep.

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 02:25:44 am »
You have to get a wrench to tighten anyway. Make it a torque wrench. Not important for an experienced guy but for a newbie, could be important. Over tightening is the bad part. Never get it off. Most people will not under tighten.
What happens if the newbie doesn't know how to properly set the torque wrench and they don't stop pulling on it until it clicks?  Did you read the thread about a guy that used a torque wrench on his axle pinch bolt?  That thread got kinda lively over exactly how to deal with him stripping the threads.  It's kinda like using a calculator.  If you have no idea whatsoever of the correct answer, you'll believe whatever shows up on the screen, even if you made a mistake inputting the variables.  Just sayin.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 02:41:46 am »
You really can't go wrong using a torque wrench and torquing the bolt to the manufacturer's specification in almost all cases.  While there are some exceptions, I am not aware of any on the C14.  My only advice is to keep in mind that the 22 ft-lb torque is assuming a NEW crush washer.  If you re-use the washer, you will want to under-torque by a few ft-lbs.  The "crush"-ability of the washer is not the same after it's been crushed once.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline gilbysan

• Tricycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 03:02:41 am »
So thanks gentlemen for the replies to date.  Can't help but notice that all 3 of you are North Central people.  Is there nothing else of value to do at night there but be here?  I say with no small amount of irony...

Cheers!

BG
gilbysan

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 04:12:17 am »
What happens if the newbie doesn't know how to properly set the torque wrench and they don't stop pulling on it until it clicks?  Did you read the thread about a guy that used a torque wrench on his axle pinch bolt?  That thread got kinda lively over exactly how to deal with him stripping the threads.  It's kinda like using a calculator.  If you have no idea whatsoever of the correct answer, you'll believe whatever shows up on the screen, even if you made a mistake inputting the variables.  Just sayin.

Absolutely correct. Matter of fact, my torque wrench has jammed a couple of times. Maybe not returning it to zero, maybe getting stuck between values, maybe because I'm cheap er, frugal, I didn't spend a lot on it. But because I use it a lot, I know when it's not right.
Did that guy strip the threads or the head? Cause after stripping the first head, I am sure to bury the allen wrench into the socket.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:16:29 am by gsun »

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 04:14:49 am »
I've been watching various music vids on youtube and go back and forth from COG to youtube.  If it were daytime, I might be working on the Silverwing 650 project or riding the new addition the the garage.....the C14!

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 04:50:27 am »

Absolutely correct. Matter of fact, my torque wrench has jammed a couple of times. Maybe not returning it to zero, maybe getting stuck between values, maybe because I'm cheap er, frugal, I didn't spend a lot on it. But because I use it a lot, I know when it's not right.
Did that guy strip the threads or the head? Cause after stripping the first head, I am sure to bury the allen wrench into the socket.
That guy stripped the threads.  The argument was over whether to put in a helicoil or something similar to that or drill out the threads and put a nut on the other side.  The elder in the argument said put a helicoil or better and call it done.  The time saver wanted to drill the threads and put a nut on the other side.  I still say you have to have a "feel" for this stuff.  You have to had an idea of what's correct without the machine telling you what is correct.  I love giving a penny to some youngin that can't make change without a machine. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Scooter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 07:52:25 am »
Using proper torque on an engine oil drain plug is crucial to the health of the engine.
Failure to use calibrated and certified torque wrench will result in severe internal damage of an engine.
Also, use of proper PPE is vital while performing delicate torqueing procedure.

Offline Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 10:57:23 am »
I have seen crush washers curled down over the nut and drain bolt that took a LOT of force to remove, bringing out stripped threads with it. 

While it does take some learning about how a torque wrench works and what the proper force is supposed to feel like, its something that should be learned.

Its been my observation that most people who are getting to know how to work on their own stuff seem to over tighten EVERYTHING.

The bikes with the problems I listed above usually had everything else tightened down with gorilla force as well.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 11:00:31 am »
Something to keep in mind is that torque values are usually for clean and dry threads.  Oily threads tend to over torque. I'm not willing to spend the time drying an oil drain hole. Wipe with a clean towel and snug it up.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 03:03:28 pm »
I just don't understand. You spend thousands of dollars on your pride and joy.
You spend hundreds of dollars on the newest farkels. Yet you are to cheap to
buy a descent torque wrench and new washer.
I received a C-10 recently, with a cupped STEEL crush washer, and know way
to stop the oil from running out of the cracked oil pan.
I won't criticize my friends, I just don't understand.

Online oldnslo_MO

• Moped
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 03:24:52 pm »
Using proper torque on an engine oil drain plug is crucial to the health of the engine.
Failure to use calibrated and certified torque wrench will result in severe internal damage of an engine.
exactly  what kind of damage??? :??:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline gilbysan

• Tricycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 04:27:36 pm »
Wow Everyone- I just knew that this would spark a rash of feedback, etc. about the issue and here we are.  Great stuff!  Thanks to all for your input.

Still, I ended up doing is old school and am comfortable with it.  Yes, I have a nice torque wrench and yes it is on the longish side and somewhat difficult to get it proper aligned with the Oil Drain Bolt and the oil filter nut (K&N) since the one thing I don't have is a lift that would allow me to get under the chassis.  Yes, I could remove some plastic parts to get better access but did not.  Why not?  No excuse just a bit of laziness...

For the record, I am anal about crush washers from the type used on a certain rifle type and replace mine with new each time.  I supposed you could reverse the washer and "crush" the obverse side but for the cost of them whats the point?  I do save them all however because you never know, maybe some Cogger will figure out a way to salvage them...Or we can have a contest to guess how many crush washers are in the jar for a prize.  Good point about lubricated threads experiencing torque values differently, had not thought of that but I will now. 

Cheers!

Gilbysan
gilbysan

Offline gpd323

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 04:36:03 pm »
I never use a TQ wrench on the drain bolts. I even reused the crush washers after flipping them over. Never stripped an oil pan, don't have oil drips. I kind of have a feel for how tight it should go and its never an issue. Same with my cars, same for decades.

Same with the oil filters. :beerchug:

OTH I have a friend who must use one, he is a Neanderthal when it comes to fasteners. he will break, strip and shear anything his hands with a wrench touch.

Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Bud

• Road Bike
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 05:14:17 pm »
This statement just is not true.  I've changed oil on every vehicle I've owned for the past 41 years.  I have never used a torque wrench to tighten an oil drain plug.  I have never had an oil drain plug come loose.  Not once.  I understand why it's recommended to use but as long as it is sufficiently tightened, it doesn't matter if Micky Mouse got under there and tightened it with his toes!  I would really doubt the mechanical abilities of anyone that can't properly tighten an oil drain plug without a torque wrench.  If one can't manage that without catastrophic engine failure, then they should stay far far away from mechanical work.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 05:57:58 pm »
Just to keep things interesting I'll add that with 234,xxx on my now sold c-10 I'm sure I didn't replace the crush washers more than two or three times. Oil change interval probably averaged 6k miles. Never used a torque wrench. Just made sure that the area and bolt were free of dirt. YMMV.

:beerchug:
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold
IBA 19221

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 06:22:19 pm »

Also don't forget to wear your hardhat and safety vest while using your delicate torque wrench   :)) :beerchug:

Just having fun mate :beerchug:

But I believe your post was made in jest ;D

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 07:38:22 pm »
Hi Bob -
I bought one of your first helmet holders, and it's awesome!  It provides a place to keep my helmet and jackets organized next to the bike.  Thanks again for coming up with this useful accessory!

I have a torque wrench but it's too large for working under the motorcycle.  Instead, I use an appropriate size small socket driver and don't push it too much.  Then take it for a test drive and look for leaks.  I've never had a leak from many times of tightening the bolt without a torque wrench, and never an issue removing it later.  For the oil filter, I always put a thin oil coating on the gasket, notice when the gasket contacts metal, and tighten another 3/4 turn.  Never had a filter leak using this method.
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski ST-15F & STX-900
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Scooter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 07:50:33 pm »
I have almost forgotten to add the most important detail of this very delicate procedure.
To avoid possibility of oil drain plug loosening due to vibrations or other only to God known forces, use aircraft grade safety wire.

Cheers... 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:54:06 pm by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline Gitbox

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:00 pm »

Love the sarcasm.  :)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline RWulf

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 7122
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 08:52:08 pm »
What we are calling a crush washer is not really a crush washer (like spark plug washer)
it just a soft washer that seals. You can re-use as long as there are no scratches from the
inside to the outside, would make a nice groove for oil to leak.
If you are willing to work on motors and accept money for your time then it's best to use
a torque wrench. I have a calibrator on the wall 5 ft from the lift so I have no excuse
for not using a wrench.
Do a search in the archives as how I make the calibrator if you want.