Author Topic: Impressions and gotta haves after first longish ride  (Read 832 times)

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Impressions and gotta haves after first longish ride
« on: January 28, 2019, 07:57:08 pm »
Took my first longish (240 miles) ride yesterday, and am really loving my new Connie.  Wind protection is so much better than my Bandit, which contributes tremendously to feeling less fatigued.  Seat is also way better - wide and supportive, but not hard - and for now I don't feel a need to replace it.  Even leg position is better than I expected, leaving my 61 y/o knees not hurting afterwards.  I also had a good opportunity to switch back and forth between regular and ECO mode, and ECO did appear to improve my mpg at least a bit.  I went 215 miles before refueling - warning came on at 203 miles - and according to the pump I only took 4.6-something gallons.  Would really need a long trip comparing the two modes to get a real idea of the difference in mpgs they yield, but am definitely impressed with the Connie's range, even with its smallish tank compared to other S-Ts.

But it wasn't all roses.  I'd already noticed my right hand cramping on shorter rides, and this of course was the case yesterday.  What's weird though is it would come and go rather than just steadily getting worse.  I found different hand positions helped, and just 30 seconds at a light would eliminate it.  But by the end of the day it was mostly constant.  So after researching here and the other forum, I ordered what I hope is a cheap fix with some Grab On grip covers and a Throttle Rocker.  I'm sure for touring I'm going to want a pair of Ronnie's highway pegs too.

Still not sure about the stock windscreen though.  Overall, it works pretty well for me, but I did experience some back pressure and helmet buffeting from time to time.  But rather than replace the whole windscreen, I'm considering adding a Laminar Lip or MRA Vario just to push the air up and over a bit more.

But overall, the bike is really comfortable in it's current form and I'm hoping the Grab On and Throttle Rocker will give me the all-day rideability that I'm after.

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Impressions and gotta haves after first longish ride
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 12:25:49 am »
But it wasn't all roses.  I'd already noticed my right hand cramping on shorter rides, and this of course was the case yesterday.  What's weird though is it would come and go rather than just steadily getting worse.  I found different hand positions helped, and just 30 seconds at a light would eliminate it.  But by the end of the day it was mostly constant.  So after researching here and the other forum, I ordered what I hope is a cheap fix with some Grab On grip covers and a Throttle Rocker.

Real, functioning cruise control is a wonderful thing. Murphs' has 'em.

Oh, and welcome.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline mirage

• Tricycle
  • Walking stick
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 02:16:31 am »
Rode mine home from the stealership 300 miles and thought this is one sweet machine. Everybody has a way of making the bike their own (which is part of the fun factor). I have added the 2" risers (haven't been able to ride to check them out), rad guard and fender extender.  Holding off on a ECU flash at this point with only 600 miles on her.
Dan
2004 ZRX
2006 KLR
2014 Concours

Offline wayne-o

• Tricycle
  • More Testarossa than Transformers
  • COG#: 12890
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 02:18:01 am »
Coming off a 1st gen FZ 1 I concour with you, comfy. Come spring I can really get to know her. Anticipation.
The Urban Ballet with millimeters to spare

Offline Jacquelyn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 01:32:57 pm »
Experiences vary, but happy to hear you are off to a positive start.

I added MC Cruise and that makes a world of difference. No aftermarket cruise control will work as well as a factory unit, but the MC Cruise unit is the best unit out there. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being a factory unit, I'd give mine a 7.

I have Puig and madstadt combo that is much better than stock.   

Offline David

• Dave
  • Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 02:20:11 pm »
Hey Jacquelyn, Im looking at the MC Cruise also. Wondering if you mounted the control above or below the handlebar control pod. I like to lower position but am  concerned about clearance to the tank or tank bag when the handle bars are tuned.

Offline Jacquelyn

• Mini Bike
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 08:39:40 pm »
Mounted below. I have AST pullback risers. No issues, though I do not use a tank bag. Should be no problem with lower profile bag worst case scenario.

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 01:16:33 pm »
Over the last few days I've taken the excess slop out of the throttle cables and dropped some lube on them.  Also received my Grab-Ons and Throttle Rocker and installed both.  Have yet to get another long ride in, but have ridden about 20 miles with these changes and feel a world of improvement in my throttle hand comfort.  The Throttle Rocker is perfect for me since I vary my speed a lot and seldom if ever would use a true cruise control. But it works like one when I do want to maintain a certain speed, while also allowing me to go through the gears much easier and smoother.  Also makes for smoother starts from that tall 1st gear!  Gotta love it when a measly $9 and change can bring such joy!  :great:

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 12:25:26 am »
I vary my speed a lot and seldom if ever would use a true cruise control. But it works like one when I do want to maintain a certain speed, while also allowing me to go through the gears much easier and smoother.  Also makes for smoother starts from that tall 1st gear!  Gotta love it when a measly $9 and change can bring such joy!  :great:

It might depend if you did all low speed city riding then maybe a TRUE cruise control would be of little or no value.
The throttle rocker I had did not impress me when I bumped it and the rev's skyrocketed and I almost dropped the bike.
I removed it and never used it again, not only because of that but it's impossible to maintain a steady speed for a long distance
because there are very few truly flat roads in America.
Now a TRUE cruise like the McCruise can and does hold speed even better then my cars.  I use it almost everytime I ride
as it greatly reduces the tingle in my hand particularly the right hand which basically has to stay on the throttle all the time
unlike the left hand which can be removed from time to time during a highway run.  But everyone is difference and I'm not here to
convince you to invest in a McCruise even though I would buy one again in a heartbeat if I ever bought another bike without a cruise.

I also have the Cal-sci windscreen and the Grip-on's and enjoy both.  When the screen is down I look over it and when up I look
through it.  I also used 2 sets of the grip-on's which made the diameter larger which reduces the fingers rolled over the grip so much.
Think of it this way - if the grip was the size of a pencil your fingers would touch your palm, but not so much on a 2" pipe.
A bigger grip size is better to a point, IMO.

Good luck on all your farkles and farkles to come.  :great: ;D

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 12:31:10 am »
Hey Jacquelyn, Im looking at the MC Cruise also. Wondering if you mounted the control above or below the handlebar control pod. I like to lower position but am  concerned about clearance to the tank or tank bag when the handle bars are tuned.

I also mounted my control below the grip and have a small tank bag with no issues at all.
I have 1.5" risers and wedges which I assume helps but might also work without those too.

Offline David

• Dave
  • Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 02:21:42 am »
When I'm leading with my friends who do have cruise there is no way for me to keep the same speed as tightly as those with cruise. The net result is everyone behind me has to keep resetting. I also find it quite fatiguing trying to maintain a set highway speed within 3 or 4 MPH for hours at a go. Cruise will probably be my most expensive upgrade.

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 11:36:24 pm »
When I'm leading with my friends who do have cruise there is no way for me to keep the same speed as tightly as those with cruise. The net result is everyone behind me has to keep resetting. I also find it quite fatiguing trying to maintain a set highway speed within 3 or 4 MPH for hours at a go. Cruise will probably be my most expensive upgrade.

That is exactly why I want to lead when on a road that I can use the cruise on and then the other rider(s) can try to keep up and
maintain a steady speed vs. me having to readjust all the time because they can't. 
Even most Rostra units can't hold the speed as steady as my McCruise so I would still rather lead.

Offline Red Fox

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11691
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 01:52:02 am »
  The Throttle Rocker is perfect for me since I vary my speed a lot and seldom if ever would use a true cruise control.

I have the 2" risers and Throttle Rocker and they work for me decently.  Still have minor buzz fatigue especially in right hand where I cover the brake with 2 fingers most of the time and brake lever has a buzz.  Have bought set of aftermarket levers and will install sometime to see if the different vibration (due to different weight and length) takes away the buzz. 

... don't intend to get cruise either because I like the speed fluctuation / acceleration of a bike.

The 2" risers gave me the clearance to raise the forks by 0.6 inches thereby dropping the front by 0.6 inches.  Nice improvement in handling and turn in; no side-stand or bottoming issues.  Recommend.
TryCities, WA.    2011  C-14, silver; 53,000 miles.

Offline Kreton'sLC

• Bicycle
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 10:31:33 pm »
Did a 130 mile ride yesterday, and the Grab-ons and Throttle Rocker made a huge difference.  No cramping or discomfort whatsoever.  Once I get some highway pegs, that'll probably do it on the comfort mods at least for now, since the stock seat works well for me and I like the ergos.