Author Topic: Increased Gas Mileage after a Tune ?  (Read 434 times)

Offline IBAJIM

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Increased Gas Mileage after a Tune ?
« on: September 25, 2018, 07:59:16 pm »
Hello !   I'm a new Forum member and recently acquired a 2008 Concours.  I also have a Honda ST1100 with a 7.3 gallon gas tank that gets about 41 mpg on the slab @ 78 mph. 

I would like to have a better gas range with the Concours since it has only a 5.8 gallon gas tank.   I'm into doing IBA rides and I would like to get at least 225 miles with about a 0.8 gallon reserve left.   Would a tune accomplish what I'm hoping for ?

So, if I get a tune,  how much will that increase my gas mileage on the slab ?

Anyone with either Steve's or Ivan's tune that can give me an honest testimonial ?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:07:42 pm by IBAJIM »

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Increased Gas Mileage after a Tune ?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 08:19:35 pm »
Fuel Mileage is very subjective . Will a tune help ? Yes I saw better mileage with Steve's mountain runner tune but as I said its subjective.
 Example :  I filled up last week and rode a very slow ride following some friends (one of which was a lady on a Harley)  I had my wife on the back and some weight in my bags. All we did was putt around . Ended up with 56 mpg. This was calculated not an estimate.  The next day I was with a buddy no passenger,no bags and running very spirited in the mountains (dragon) and when on the Hwy I was running ,lets say, a bit over the speed limit.  Ended up with just under 45mpg .  So you see its a spread.  Cooler weather seams to bring my mileage down some too. as do head winds, tall windshields ect..
 I can run well over 200 miles on a tank but to say I can get to 225 with some reserve? There again its all in the conditions.
 I think Steve's tunes are very thought out and as I said will improve youre MPGs . Dont know about Ivan's.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:23:24 pm by strum »
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 08:56:24 pm »
without going into the 'flash' zone, as I own an '08, bought new in '07.... and still have not flashed it yet...
I can say the best 'tune' you can do, is to complete a valve inspection/adjust, set them all to the high end within the spec, replace your air filter, and keep doing so at 20k or less intervals, and do a throttle body synch/balance at the time you do the other items...

Unless you are driving uphill into a head wind, the whole ride, you should easily get 44 mpg or better, slabbing it, and go 230 miles easily between fillups...(the low fuel warning light comes on when you have another 3/4 + gallon left...)

as for the flash, well, you can expect improvements over what I note positively.... but start with the things that need to be done first, to get the maximum from the flash... he will tell you that for certain.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:31:37 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:25:25 pm »
I am on my 3rd C14 My fist two never got better than 40 on the highway, often only 36 with mixed riding. 180,000 miles on those two. I bought a third C14 after my o8 wat totaled in a wreck and I blew the motor on my 09. The 2nd 08 initally was getting the same 34-40 mpg. I got Steves Flash and now it gets a steady 42 mpg in mixed riding and 45 with steady interstate droning. Before the flash the low fuel would come on at 190 miles and I would run out at 225. Now I can easily get 240 on a tank. These mpg I mention here are based on actual gas stop calculations, the dash readout is 2-3 mpg higher. Steves's flash will quickly pay for itself if you ride a lot.  :great:

Offline Wingedspirit

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12707
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:00:08 pm »
No question on increased mileage. I'm getting 4-7 better MPG depending on conditions  >:D
mainly the throttle hand, but that's just part of the equation. Steve's Classic gave me smoother throttle and improved performance WAY beyond just better MPG.  It's a much more fun bike to ride.
Enjoy your new flash!  ;)

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:26:22 pm »
No question on increased mileage. I'm getting 4-7 better MPG depending on conditions  >:D
mainly the throttle hand, but that's just part of the equation. Steve's Classic gave me smoother throttle and improved performance WAY beyond just better MPG.  It's a much more fun bike to ride.
Enjoy your new flash!  ;)
Yep. When I bought my Ducati Multistarad 950 it became my favorite bike to ride. Then I got the flash and the tables have turned.

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 05:23:12 pm »
Just to add here. Today my low fuel warning came on at 205 miles. I rode around a little more and pulled into the station with 213.4 miles .
 I packed all i could in and that was 4.6 gallons thats 46 mpg . If my tank is truly 5.8 gallon then I had 1.2 gallon to spare. So thats 55 miles or 268 total miles on a tank.  These were not all putt around miles and i know i have gotten up to 56 mpgs if i do putt around . Thats pretty darn good . I remember before the flash getting 42 ish MPGs that would be my worst  42X5.8=243.6  my best has been 56mpg.. 56x5.8=324.8 miles 
 All these numbers can and will vary but the bottom line is YES Steve's Mt Runner flash has considerably helped my MPGs.
2008 C-14
Measurement is the first step that leads to control and eventually to improvement.
If you can't measure something, you can't understand it.
If you can't understand it, you can't control it.
If you can't control it, you can't improve it."

Offline IBAJIM

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 10:26:50 pm »
Thanks for that post-flash info.  Looks like I will probably get a flash this winter.

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 10:52:32 pm »
I get some extra MPG, but it is not real significant.  I have Ivans Flash and am very satisfied with it.

Fred
Wa2gzw

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 03:03:45 pm »
I get some extra MPG, but it is not real significant.  I have Ivans Flash and am very satisfied with it.

Fred
Wa2gzw
Fred, I also have Ivan's flash. What is your usual avg mpg?
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline JDSCO

• Scooter
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 03:07:37 pm »
Summer 2018 March through Sept
Highest calculated mpg is 62.7/ECU 58.5 87oct ethanol
Lowest calculated mpg is 45.2/ECU 50.3 91oct ethanol
Average 2018 calculated mpg is 54.3/average ECU 55.3 87-91oct, both ethanol and non

3 LOW FUEL WARNINGS displayed at 240.2, 248.0 & 261.9

My latest fill-up was at 284.7, 91oct (FUEL WARNING at 261.9)
Calculated mpg 53.44/ECU 53.6 91oct non-ethanol
I intentionally ran this low and was nervous. Fill-up was 5.327gal

I attribute fuel economy to
aerodynamics thanks to body fairings and MRA windscreen, always retracted
SISF MR flash
Colorado altitude
Bike does not consistently achieve higher mpg with 87oct versus 91oct, at my altitude
"Remember? You're never too old to fall down."
Jay Leno

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 06:58:52 pm »

Fred
Wa2gzw
Fred, I also have Ivan's flash. What is your usual avg mpg?

I do not ride aggressively and I am getting approx. 48.5MPG riding thru the mountains when the ambient air temp is above 80 degrees.  On the Highways I usually stay below 80 mph.  Hopefully you realize that the MPG goes down with the Temperature.

Fred