Author Topic: Is my overheat dangerous  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Alex

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Is my overheat dangerous
« on: July 25, 2017, 02:49:54 pm »
Hello, here is details. I have 08 concours, and today take it after some maintenance. Outside temperature about 24 C. I ride from site to home about 20 minutes, at speed 40-60 km/h with some red light stop. And near home when stopped i notice  message "TEMPERATURE HIGH" on display, so i move additional 50 meters to find place and stop bike, then i notice that fan not working. I immediately switch off engine and waited.
As appear mechanic after maintenance not connected fan plug or connected it not fully.

When i riding i didn’t notice overheating message but maybe it was there, however usually during driving it is enough air to cool engine without fan.
After stopped and switch off i didn’t notice any vapor or boiling coolant under bike.
All cooling system worked fine except fans.

So my question - was it dangerous situation? Should i worry?  Is Overheating message showed before some degradation started happen?
I am quite nervous about this situation (

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Is my overheat dangerous
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 03:27:13 pm »
At this point it's likely OK.  Indeed, severe engine damage can occur with overheating but at the point you shut the engine off the cooling system was still intact and keeping its pressure.  That helps at lot.  If the pressure is released you get the coolant boiling off rather quickly and then there is no coolant left.

Most common problems after overheating are warped cylinder head, burned valves, or burned pistons. 

While you were moving there was probably not a problem as the movement of the bike keep air flowing through the radiator.  It's only when you're moving slowly or stopped that the fans are needed to keep cooling air flowing.  So my guess is that your engine didn't get hot enough to cause damage. 

But time will tell.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:52:13 pm »
^^^^ unless of course the water didn't boil out because it had already. Having been a professional emgine builder for decades, the single largest reason for rebuilds and major head work is from overheating. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline Dragoon

• proud PGR Rider and wildly handsom
  • Road Bike
  • keep your knees in the breeze , not easy on a cony
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 07:50:38 pm »
I just had the fluid changed in my rad and the mechanic who did it told me my rad cap was not keeping pressure...I hadn't heard of that before on the connie but it made sense that it was running a little hotter then it is now and i have no idea for how long i was in that position....lets hope its just a fuse, you should be able to test the fan switch and maybe even the thermostat switch to prove those out...
Pardon my spelling, auto correct is my worst enama

Offline Alex

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 03:01:14 am »
^^^^ unless of course the water didn't boil out because it had already. Having been a professional emgine builder for decades, the single largest reason for rebuilds and major head work is from overheating. Steve

No, its definetly was there. Because after i properly plug fan and they started to work temperature not rise above 4 bars on display.

Offline Dave Scott

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8603
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 11:55:37 am »
coolant still there is a good sign.  I'd guess you are fine.  I would continue to ride it and monitor closely to be sure.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 01:06:13 pm »
I would not worry about it too much. If it starts running hotter tan normal I would. Run the same route under the same conditions and see how often the fan comes on? My 08 only comes on at lights and very hot days.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 07:16:39 pm »

No, its definetly was there. Because after i properly plug fan and they started to work temperature not rise above 4 bars on display.

Well, if from what you say about coolant still there because " after plugging in fan, the fans worked, and temp did not ..." I'll ask the silly question...

Did you physically remove the radiator cap and look? Or did you look at the coolant overflow bottle to see wwhwhat level is in there?

Just asking... :??:
Doesn't cost anything to look.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Alex

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:49:23 am »
Hmm i just look at coolant overflow bottle on the left side of bike where two level labels "min" "max" then i push bike into straight vertical position to check that i see liquid lvl not some changed bottle color. And level was a bit above "min" on cold bike with engine off.

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 01:34:17 pm »
Hmm i just look at coolant overflow bottle on the left side of bike where two level labels "min" "max" then i push bike into straight vertical position to check that i see liquid lvl not some changed bottle color. And level was a bit above "min" on cold bike with engine off.

As noted, this is not how you check the coolant level.  You'll need to pull off the RH side plastics to get to the radiator cap and check there.  It should be full right to the top of the neck.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Alex

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 04:45:46 pm »

As noted, this is not how you check the coolant level.  You'll need to pull off the RH side plastics to get to the radiator cap and check there.  It should be full right to the top of the neck.

Could you explain why? Because i use manual and there are description only with reserve tank, even picture included:
Cooling System
Coolant Level Inspection
NOTE
○Check the level when the engine is cold (room or ambient
temperature).
•Check the coolant level in the reserve tank [A] with the
motorcycle held perpendicular (Do not use the sidestand).
If the coolant level is lower than the “L” level line , unscrew
the reserve tank cap and add coolant to the “F”
level line [C].
“L”: low
“F”: full

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 05:08:15 pm »
Because the coolant in the radiator could be low even if the bottle is not.