Author Topic: Is that a cap?  (Read 545 times)

Offline David

• Dave
  • Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Is that a cap?
« on: July 25, 2018, 02:19:01 am »
Hey all, looking for a spot to mount a usb port on my recently acquired 2017. There is what looks to be a circular black cap just to the left of the left headlight adjustment knob which I though would be an easy option. I tried pushing it out from the back but no dice. Anyone know if that thing comes out or is it just molded plastic? Thought I'd ask before prying. Thanks in advance.

Offline Gumby

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • Black 2011
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10640
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Is that a cap?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:59:14 am »
That cap has the mounting bracket behind it, but it does have a small USB size square in it. I guess if you could find the right size port you could mount something in there.

I mount a waterproof USB port to my handlebars and wire it to the accessory wires in the boot on the left side.

There are a bunch of different ones on Amazon, that is the one I used though. It has a holder that easily tie wraps to the bars.

Offline David

• Dave
  • Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 03:33:14 am »
That looks like a good option for a handle bar mount. Also considering a flush mount like this. Would need to drill a hole in that cap though or elsewhere. For sure will connect to the accessory leads up front.

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Charger-iPhone-Galaxy-Motorcycle/dp/B076D8CQYV/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1532492427&sr=8-5&keywords=flush+mount+usb+port

Offline Hosspower

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12782
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 10:53:42 am »
I did something very similar to what you are asking. When you cut the plastic to size to fit your USB port, you will then need to use a tool to cut out the metal bracket behind it. There is a small hole in the metal bracket as Gumby stated but it is not big enough for the circular USB port. I tried a Dremel first but it did not have enough torque, it kept shutting off. Ended up use a small cutting/grinding tool on the end of a drill and it made quick work of it.
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline David

• Dave
  • Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 04:31:46 pm »
Got it. Can I just pry that cap out from the front then or do I need to remove the inner fairing part it's attached to? I've ordered Fred's DVDs and the service manual so will be prepared. Are you happy with that location for the port?

Thanks

Offline Hosspower

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12782
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 06:12:43 pm »
From what I remember, it is not a cap. I tried to pry it out but it was one molded piece. I had to cut out the plastic first and then the metal bracket behind it. I started with a small drill hole in the middle of the plastic and went from there to enlarge the opening. I did pull off the inner fairing with the glove box to be safe and to help with access behind it.
The location is good although I have never used it. I also hardwired a usb cable into the wiring harness under the inner fairing.
If any of that doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try to explain better.
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »
I mounted this plug from 3BRpowersports
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline David

• Dave
  • Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:52:33 pm »
Thanks Hosspower, makes sense. I like the location as it looks to be well protected from the elements. The 3BRpowersports offering looks nice. Thanks for the pic.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 10:11:39 pm »
Sailor_chic has a good writeup on here somewhere about installing the power plug.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline Sailor_chic

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 11610
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 05:06:27 pm »
Ron, I cant find what I previously wrote about this power port. Though I will say that it was a fairly simple project to do. Also I had one of the 3br plugs go bad on me. I wrote them and explained my situation, and they promptly sent me a new one. Highly recommended!
Nicole     Port St Lucie, FL.
2013 C14 Black  
2006 Vmax
IBA # 60267

Offline David

• Dave
  • Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 05:57:22 pm »
Hey Sailor chic, I used search but could not find your write-up either. Using a small mirror I can see clearly the metal bracket behind the dash where I want to flush mount the port. The bracket also holds the headlight adjuster cable and I'm a bit nervous that the bracket may also serve as amounting point for the dash itself. Any recommendations for cutting that thing?

-Thanks

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...