Author Topic: Is there a way to secure side cases?  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Wayne

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Is there a way to secure side cases?
« on: February 25, 2019, 02:46:40 pm »
I’ve seen people pinning their cases, and I know that keeps them from flying away but short of drilling into the cases and pinning them with a bolt and nut, is there a way to secure them for when you walk away from your bike and not worry about somebody trying to steal the cases off the bike? I’ve seen older posts about Zteve’s retaining bracket which may be simple and provide security while riding and when parked but I don’t see him on eBay now. I’ve thought about using a trailer hitch pin lock and drilling the support brackets. That’d be like pinning but with added security. Any suggestions or ideas that may not lead to drilling into the cases?

Offline BadgerApaches

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Is there a way to secure side cases?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 03:27:07 pm »
IIRC, the factory bags are a 3-point attachment, and can already be locked into place?

The common error which allows them to release and fly away is that a lot of people simply go by a visual of the upper hangers (inside the plastic seat cowl) being in place at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, as you are looking down at top of the bags. The lower and third connecting point (lower/ front frame point) is the one often overlooked-when not properly connected the bags can bounce up/off the bike. 

Does that make sense? It was/is a common error on many bikes. I had gotten home from a LONG trip on my BMW 1100GS, pulled into driveway, and a bag was gone?! That bag had stayed on for a 600 mile day, then bounced off and into the front yard of someone just 4 blocks from our house! The weight of the load held it in place for almost 600 miles, crappy city streets bounced it up/off. Lesson learned, never happened again in another 60K miles on that bike. Simply be mindful when attaching the bags, get the 3 points solid.   
Legal Services for Manufacturers world wide.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12907
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 04:30:17 pm »
They are locked on already.  If someone really wants something, they'll tear up whatever they have to tear up to get it.  I'd concern myself with something else.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 04:37:06 pm by Bud »
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK
1983 Honda GL650I SilverWing

Online robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 04:55:14 pm »
First off welcome!! I bought my bike used from a friend who at the time just installed Zteve's pins which works elegantly great short of drilling. If you wanted to go frugal and not worry about looks and don't take the bags off, I've seen guys use ziplock ties around the handles.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 07:54:03 pm »
I started thi whole "pinning thing", so I'll offer this.... neither the pins, (minimal expense, and installation time, coupled with "almost invisible presence") nor ZSteve's wire latch retainers, will make the bags more "theft proof".. period.
Both are only used as secondary insurance that if a lock/latch fails, or is improperly latched onto the bike, they don't "bounce off"...
Zsteve's latch mounted thing is very visible up top, but is installed on the most fragile part of the bag assembly, and if someone really wants the bag, or it's contents.. a tire iron, big screwdriver, etc., easily "pries and breaks that latch or the cover/door for that matter"...  the "pins" are a bit more "hidden" and my provide that extra few seconds of difficulty, for a thief trying to remove the bag "without being noticed"...
either way, a hammer, or a tire iron makes short work of getting the bag opened, and contents gone....
Park your bike where it is "visible to passers by, and in sight of people", and you shouldn't have to worry so much.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 09:28:29 pm »
 :iagree:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 10:29:55 pm »
Duct tape. Copious amounts of it. Not only will the bags not come off (ever) but most likely every one will avoid your bike like the plague.

Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 10:42:16 am »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :D :D :D ;D
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline Wayne

• Big Wheels
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 12:16:27 am »
Thanks for the input. I was hoping I could better secure the cases and be able to walk away from the bike worry free. Can only do so much I guess.

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 11:20:56 am »
Thanks for the input. I was hoping I could better secure the cases and be able to walk away from the bike worry free. Can only do so much I guess.
You can walk away worry free.  Just quit worrying about things that happen, that you can't do anything about.  Stuff happens.
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 12:04:25 pm »
Pin them {like MOB suggested} and your done.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 08:09:27 pm »
 :)) :rotflmao:

I have to share this... pinning isn't just for bags...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
One of my best freinds lived directly across the road from my current home, in the 70's; and when I moved back here in '11, we got together to reminisce. He now owns the house he grew up in, and rents it out, so we see each other frequently...
He told me that once, way back, the house I live in was "broken into", and completely stripped of everything over a weekend when the occupants were on vacation...
Seem the thieves "entered" thru a "jimmied" window, and had free reign to load a moving van...
A while after he told me this we were going on an extended vacation/ride, and after developing the "pinning" thing years prior, for the C14 bags, I figured I'd take it to a different level... so I grabbed a handfull of long nails, my drill, and a 1/8" bit, and decided to drill thru the upper/lower sash window junction, and install "pins" ... almost invisible, and easily "pulled" from the inside when "open windows" were desired...
So even if someone broke the glass, and unlatched the window, it would never "open" unless they found the pins, which would have been unlikely and would have taken more "time" to be seen by a neighbor...
(this was actually something my dad showed me/did, to all our first floor windows, when we lived in a bad section of town...when I was a weeee lad.)

To my amazement, as I walked from window to window... they were all "drilled" for that same exact purpose... after the original home owner was robbed... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Hindsight truly is 20/20.. :great: :great:

can't always stop a thief, but you CAN slow them down a bit...
Semper Fi....

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 08:40:03 pm »
:)) :rotflmao:

I have to share this... pinning isn't just for bags...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
One of my best freinds lived directly across the road from my current home, in the 70's; and when I moved back here in '11, we got together to reminisce. He now owns the house he grew up in, and rents it out, so we see each other frequently...
He told me that once, way back, the house I live in was "broken into", and completely stripped of everything over a weekend when the occupants were on vacation...
Seem the thieves "entered" thru a "jimmied" window, and had free reign to load a moving van...
A while after he told me this we were going on an extended vacation/ride, and after developing the "pinning" thing years prior, for the C14 bags, I figured I'd take it to a different level... so I grabbed a handfull of long nails, my drill, and a 1/8" bit, and decided to drill thru the upper/lower sash window junction, and install "pins" ... almost invisible, and easily "pulled" from the inside when "open windows" were desired...
So even if someone broke the glass, and unlatched the window, it would never "open" unless they found the pins, which would have been unlikely and would have taken more "time" to be seen by a neighbor...
(this was actually something my dad showed me/did, to all our first floor windows, when we lived in a bad section of town...when I was a weeee lad.)

To my amazement, as I walked from window to window... they were all "drilled" for that same exact purpose... after the original home owner was robbed... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Hindsight truly is 20/20.. :great: :great:

can't always stop a thief, but you CAN slow them down a bit...
Semper Fi....
The first time that someone broke into our Western Auto store back in the 70's, my dad (former tool & die maker) went into overdrive trying to secure the store.  He did the pin over the overhead door bit on the loading dock.  For the inner steel doors to the loading dock and 3 bay shop, he used an angle iron setup that had 3/8 pins that went down in the concrete around the door.
The second time they broke in, they didn't waste any time with those doors.  They threw a big piece of concrete through the plate glass door.
On both occasions, they got large quantities of guns as we were a fair sized gun dealer.  After that he got a pair of dobermans that we put in the store after hours.  No more break-in's but then someone poisoned the dogs.
Trust me when I say, if a thief wants something bad enough, they will get it.  My apologies for being slightly off topic......But Rich started it! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 09:37:15 pm »
i must be the luckiest sob alive.. have logged over 110k on two different c14' (2009 and current 2016) have never had any problem with the factory locks on the bags.. both bikes have seen over 150 mph with the bags on and no worries.  if it ain't broke don't fix it//IMHO :character0029:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 10:04:44 pm »
i must be the luckiest sob alive.. have logged over 110k on two different c14' (2009 and current 2016) have never had any problem with the factory locks on the bags.. both bikes have seen over 150 mph with the bags on and no worries.  if it ain't broke don't fix it//IMHO :character0029:

I wouldn't say you were lucky, I would say you always made sure the bags were on and latched, and you didn't have any mechanical issues with any of that.. and that is a good thing...  :great: :great:
The fact that "some" early issued bikes did in fact have "issues", which were what provoked the bag latch recall, is not forgotten tho..
Your diligence shows it's good to be always attentive, and it pays off.. sometimes others do not follow the same "check twice" routine.. and it didn't end well for them...
even Muzzy, when selling products like there rear fender thingy, had a picture that they refused to remove, that showed the bags installed "backwards"... go figure... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
and yes, that wa the picture I copied from the website bacck at the time.. and sent them e-mails 3 times telling them "dude, fix the pix"...
Maybe that's why they went out of business

Offline stallhorn

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 11:32:34 am »
I have a 2018 C14 that I got in September of 2018 and looked at the bag mechanism and didn’t see a good reason to “pin” it. The latching works fine and I don’t see how the bag could unlatch itself and jump off its mounting point.
I understand the latch mechanism on the older bikes was different, and the pin is “a cheap insurance”, but it looks pretty good on my bike, so I am not sure I understand the reason.

I am clearly missing something.
2018 C14
2011 Versys 650 - sold

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2019, 02:08:28 pm »
It's kinda like wearing protective riding gear.  99.9% of the time you don't need it.  There is also more to think about than just the cost of replacement.  What about your buddy riding behind you?  Maybe someone is trying to avoid a bag coming at them and causes a wreck that kills someone.  Lots of bad things can happen.  Sometimes the repercussions are minor and don't cost much and other times crazy expensive and life changing.  Just something to think about. ;)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline stallhorn

• Tricycle
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »
It's kinda like wearing protective riding gear.  99.9% of the time you don't need it. 

If that is the chances of the bags coming off is as good as a chance me going down, that is a pretty significant risk, way more than .01%.

But I don't see how it can be that big of a risk.

I don't see anyone drilling their engine mount bolts and safety wiring them - but I would imagine the bag might have a slightly more risk of working itself out (which I still don't see).

Is this OWT?

Shawn

2018 C14
2011 Versys 650 - sold

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2019, 03:38:37 pm »
Shawn
Mods made to one's bike is highly personal.  Many here think it's a good idea to pin bags.  If you don't think it's a good idea, then don't pin your bags.  ;)
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline stallhorn

• Tricycle
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 07:51:30 pm »
Shawn
Mods made to one's bike is highly personal.  Many here think it's a good idea to pin bags.  If you don't think it's a good idea, then don't pin your bags.  ;)

Bud,

I understand it to be such. But I am on this forum to hopefully learn something I didn't know before. Looking to be schooled on the why. "Just because" is as good an answer as any, but doesn't educate me much and considered OWT in my book.
2018 C14
2011 Versys 650 - sold

Offline Bud

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 08:07:10 pm »
There have been those in the past that have not attached their bags properly and ended up losing one.  Even if you don't install the bag properly, if it's pinned, it's not coming off.  Some of us aren't perfect 100% of the time.  Just takes once.  HTH  As shown by MOB, even Muzzy installed them backwards! ;D
2005 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Kawasaki Concours
1982 Suzuki GS1100GK

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 09:03:06 pm »
Shawn

Bud,

I understand it to be such. But I am on this forum to hopefully learn something I didn't know before. Looking to be schooled on the why. "Just because" is as good an answer as any, but doesn't educate me much and considered OWT in my book.

It is all a matter of choice on the current production units...
not saying its even "needed" anymore...
so, for the "Education part"; the initial production bikes, into '09,
NOTE;
supposedly this was only on '08 models... but I have personally seen '09's with RED latches....
....had a latch that contained "plastic" links within the workings, These are noted a "RED latches" (because they were RED) and combined with people not carefully attaching them, many of these were "fractured", by either forcing the handle without fully seating the bags, or forcing them in some other manner, causing in invisible internal breakage/failure. Then, some bag simply were not "tightly" located well by the 2 tabs that held them onto the rails.. this combination and other issues ( excessive/loose/sloppy clearances in the mate up) made it possible for a "substantial" quantity of bags that simply "popped off".. so a recall was instituted (at that time I was Tech Editor, and spoke frequently with internal Tech people/staff at Kaw) which came about because of the documentation and feedback we were giving them. Even then, the first released "improved/recall subs/Orange latches" were still somewhat "loose fitting", and would allow the bags, when strongly "lifted" to come out of the holding bars.
Soooooo, when I developed the strategy of pinning, using a small (3/16" diameter") pin, it made it all totally worry free. The bag would not lift, nor become loose, and separate from the mounts..   Time passed, and if you look at the timeline of events, you will see that currently the original issues have been seemingly rectified.
But, stuff happens...

also note that even tho there was a recall, many '08-'09's were on showroom floors for a year or more.., or re sold, and people were not updated on the recalls by lack of communications... or people taking them in for the replacement.

also, add in that the '08's were being old here in 2007... I bought mine 7/7/07....
well before this all "popped up" (pun)... and I know "dozens" of dropped bags occurred before the recall was issued... in '08.

http://forum.cog-online.org/general-information-57/bags-74970/

so now you know why, and when, and for what reason it happened to become a "cheap insurance" policy.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:26:10 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline BadgerApaches

• Bicycle
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 10:54:00 pm »
I’ve seen people pinning their cases, and I know that keeps them from flying away but short of drilling into the cases and pinning them with a bolt and nut, is there a way to secure them for when you walk away from your bike and not worry about somebody trying to steal the cases off the bike? I’ve seen older posts about Zteve’s retaining bracket which may be simple and provide security while riding and when parked but I don’t see him on eBay now. I’ve thought about using a trailer hitch pin lock and drilling the support brackets. That’d be like pinning but with added security. Any suggestions or ideas that may not lead to drilling into the cases?

The Kawasaki factory side cases have ALWAYS had a 3 -point securement, with a locking system.

Yes, anybody with a pry bar can get a case off same as they can smash a window on your car.

This thread, and many others forwarded on to Kawasaki NA HQ; misleading information presented/mis-represented by "authorities" of an Owner's Group. Misrepresentation and slanderous presentation of information.

There is a small group forwarding the presentation of such falsification of information(s) here, on a regular basis, as to present problems that do NOT exist. Copy/paste/snip it tools utilized, forwarded to the Kawasaki legal teams.   

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 12:05:19 am »

The Kawasaki factory side cases have ALWAYS had a 3 -point securement, with a locking system.

Yes, anybody with a pry bar can get a case off same as they can smash a window on your car.

This thread, and many others forwarded on to Kawasaki NA HQ; misleading information presented/mis-represented by "authorities" of an Owner's Group. Misrepresentation and slanderous presentation of information.

There is a small group forwarding the presentation of such falsification of information(s) here, on a regular basis, as to present problems that do NOT exist. Copy/paste/snip it tools utilized, forwarded to the Kawasaki legal teams.   

sorry.
seems you are on a mission.

I shall not interrupt that.

just capturing your quote, for the benefit of those that make the rules here.
I look forward to the response from Kawasaki, corp.
Hope you did not step over the line of Libel/slander in your cut and paste documents.

Offline BadgerApaches

• Bicycle
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 12:49:23 am »

sorry.
seems you are on a mission.

I shall not interrupt that.

just capturing your quote, for the benefit of those that make the rules here.
I look forward to the response from Kawasaki, corp.
Hope you did not step over the line of Libel/slander in your cut and paste documents.

Yes, you owe COG and KHI an apology.

It's not a mission, just observations of many reasonable and sane people; that's what the Inbox of PM s says.

My PMs Inbox says ..." Thanks for intervention of the drunken troller,  MOB ....." etc., etc..

How would I be over-stepping the lines of libel and slander, when they are simply quotes from your self and other Members of the Admin. here, your own words? Are you drunk again? Can you read your own words BACK to your self out loud, and understand that what YOU have written is YOURS?  :))