Author Topic: Ivans New reflash for the Concours 14  (Read 7169 times)

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9616
  • Membership Level: Active
Ivans New reflash for the Concours 14
« on: August 21, 2017, 10:27:59 am »
Guys, I don’t know if you've seen this new page on Ivans site:
www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ZG1400.htm

His tuning philosophy and approach is listed on this page on his site.
www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ecu.htm

Lots of good info here. and the engine is smooth as silk.

His Concours 14 reflash is now available.  I know many of us who are using his Ninja 1000 flash have waited a long time for this.

Fueling and driveability is flawless and the engine is smooth as silk from idle up to its "new and improved" redline. Make no mistake, this bike now feels like a 1400.

Engine response is instant, silky smooth, light and revvy just as you would expect a first class tune to be.

My wife and I took the concours up to one of the local ski resorts.
It’s not much of a distance ride, but you gain elevation like crazy.

We start at my house which is 4500ft and finish at 10,500ft @ 30 miles
later.  I’ve had the bike up there before with original programming, and it was about halfway a
mess at the high altitude.  Especially the on/off throttle.  Her helmet was
constantly smacking mine.

With Ivan’s tuning, the bike was awesome up there. Of course, power dropped off, but the
character was still there and driveability remained flawless.

Another welcome change is how the bike is in traffic.

You cannot imagine how the traffic is on the highway leading to Idaho on 8-20-17  , and the
people who are going to watch the eclipse.  There’s only one road to get
to Idaho, and sadly, I had to be on it.

The fan kicks on sooner.  195 degrees on, 186, off.    On the 08, that is
huge.  Previously, I’ve stopped for fuel when I only had 2 gallons left,
just to cool the tank.   No need for that, now.   It gets warm, but I’ve
had it to the point where I was scared it would ignite when the bike was
stock.

I haven’t tested it for mileage yet because I’ve been having too much fun with it, but I will offer some mileage figures soon within the next week or so.

When discussing the Concours flash with Ivan, he informed me that it was developed with “on the road” as well as extensive time on his dyno. 

More than a year was invested in this bike reverse engineering the ecus for all the generations of C14’s, as well as the purchase of a brand new 2017 model for the tuning part of it, and also borrowing a 2008 model to transfer the work into and test before offering it for sale to us.

A sizeable investment of time and money to say the least.

I don’t work for Ivan, and I pay full price for any work that he does for me.
He has been tuning motorcycles for a living for more than 30 years, and has been in many of the magazines over the years for his abilities.

After riding my ninja 1000 that he re-flashed, as well as a friend’s fz09, this is the person I choose to tune my bikes.   

It is because of this, and his very thorough approach to all facets of his products is why I choose his work.

Ivan said he will be away until sept5, but after that, business as usual.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 11:47:51 am by Rev Ryder »

Offline OKC14

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Ivans New reflash for the Concours 14
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 12:00:16 pm »
Interesting. Competition for Shoodaben? I thought Steve was the only real game in town outside of Guhl.

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:24:57 am »
What does he charge for the flash and what is the turn around? I guess I should ask him...

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
  • Ted calls me Cap'n Crunch.
  • COG#: 12210
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:31:28 am »
Guys, I don’t know if you've seen this new page on Ivans site:
www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ZG1400.htm

His tuning philosophy and approach is listed on this page on his site.
www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ecu.htm

Lots of good info here. and the engine is smooth as silk.

His Concours 14 reflash is now available.  I know many of us who are using his Ninja 1000 flash have waited a long time for this.

Fueling and driveability is flawless and the engine is smooth as silk from idle up to its "new and improved" redline. Make no mistake, this bike now feels like a 1400.

Engine response is instant, silky smooth, light and revvy just as you would expect a first class tune to be.

My wife and I took the concours up to one of the local ski resorts.
It’s not much of a distance ride, but you gain elevation like crazy.

We start at my house which is 4500ft and finish at 10,500ft @ 30 miles
later.  I’ve had the bike up there before with original programming, and it was about halfway a
mess at the high altitude.  Especially the on/off throttle.  Her helmet was
constantly smacking mine.

With Ivan’s tuning, the bike was awesome up there. Of course, power dropped off, but the
character was still there and driveability remained flawless.

Another welcome change is how the bike is in traffic.

You cannot imagine how the traffic is on the highway leading to Idaho on 8-20-17  , and the
people who are going to watch the eclipse.  There’s only one road to get
to Idaho, and sadly, I had to be on it.

The fan kicks on sooner.  195 degrees on, 186, off.    On the 08, that is
huge.  Previously, I’ve stopped for fuel when I only had 2 gallons left,
just to cool the tank.   No need for that, now.   It gets warm, but I’ve
had it to the point where I was scared it would ignite when the bike was
stock.

I haven’t tested it for mileage yet because I’ve been having too much fun with it, but I will offer some mileage figures soon within the next week or so.

When discussing the Concours flash with Ivan, he informed me that it was developed with “on the road” as well as extensive time on his dyno. 

More than a year was invested in this bike reverse engineering the ecus for all the generations of C14’s, as well as the purchase of a brand new 2017 model for the tuning part of it, and also borrowing a 2008 model to transfer the work into and test before offering it for sale to us.

A sizeable investment of time and money to say the least.

I don’t work for Ivan, and I pay full price for any work that he does for me.
He has been tuning motorcycles for a living for more than 30 years, and has been in many of the magazines over the years for his abilities.

After riding my ninja 1000 that he re-flashed, as well as a friend’s fz09, this is the person I choose to tune my bikes.   

It is because of this, and his very thorough approach to all facets of his products is why I choose his work.

Ivan said he will be away until sept5, but after that, business as usual.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:47:51 am by Rev Ryder »

Hmmm. The initial post was by rcannon09...yet at the bottom of the original post it says that the post was edited by Rev Ryder.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:47:51 am by Rev Ryder » :-\

Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:34:33 am by AmphibSailor »
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:05 am »
I think he changed the links so you don't have to copy and paste.
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:13 am »
I don't know if he considers a C14 a sports bike but that fee is $800 - $1000   :-\

I am 100% satisfied with Steve's flash and like to support someone who not only supports COG, but is a COG member  :great:
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2013 C14 (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 C14)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline Egodriver71

• Street Cruiser
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 10:18:47 am »
I am 100% satisfied with Steve's flash and like to support someone who not only supports COG, but is a COG member  :great:

Agree 100%!!!
Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline Ranger Jim

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 6720
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 10:24:52 am »
Let me see if I've got this straight. A Forum Subscriber (who is not a COG member) is writing up a review/advertisement for someone who is also not a COG member who has (allegedly) created a product to potentially compete with a long-time COG member/supporter.  ::)
JIM CULP
OtP Jr. Slave Laborer (Safety)

No one is a TOTAL failure; they can always be used as a bad example.

Offline Bruce_Reafsnider_TN

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 10:55:14 am »
Competition is a good thing.  It's always good to have options.  I'd probably lean towards Shoodabeen Engineering but I have no reason to believe the results that the OP report are anything but legit.  Steve seems to be a good guy and appears to have made a great tune for our bikes but I'm not gonna bring out the tar & feathers for a guy who's brought another (seemingly) equally good product to our attention.

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 11:11:46 am »
Competition is a good thing.  It's always good to have options.  I'd probably lean towards Shoodabeen Engineering but I have no reason to believe the results that the OP report are anything but legit.  Steve seems to be a good guy and appears to have made a great tune for our bikes but I'm not gonna bring out the tar & feathers for a guy who's brought another (seemingly) equally good product to our attention.

I agree competition is a good thing, but Steve's product is proven.  Where are the reviews for the other guy's tune?  I wouldn't say they are considered to be equally good without having any basis for comparison.  One report does not make things equal.
09 Concours aka 'The Cruncher:' Corbin Canyon Dual Sport (Laam for longer trips, Laam modded Corbin Modular with Smuggler for mid-length trips), Top Blocks, Penske 8983, Traxxion AK20s, Helibars Horizon ST bars w/Galfer SS +6 cables, MRA Vario Touring Windscreen/Madstad brackets (Copper Dawg sport screen for summer), Area P full system, throttle tamer, Steve's Flash.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9812
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 11:12:00 am »
What does he charge for the flash and what is the turn around? I guess I should ask him...

He says same day turn around and $350. I doubt his support and service is as good. I think its about the same price with Steve. I wonder if Steve has done a comparison. Plus I see now reviews on the flash.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline AmphibSailor

• Hooligan
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 11:22:59 am »
The testimonials link says, "404 not found."

Guess there aren't any testimonials or he's updating the page.

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 11:31:16 am »
I don't know if he considers a C14 a sports bike but that fee is $800 - $1000   :-\

No, the cost is right under the bike picture, in red.....350.00, plus shipping.   I think you have to own a BMW before you pay 800.00, for  a reflash. I have a friend with a k 1300s, and thats what hes looking at to get his bike fixed.

I have had 4 reflashes through Ivans shop.  Turn around time has never been over 24 hrs.

Im kind of an impatient idiot, and usually use next day air shipping. Typically, I'll send it in , on monday....it arrives, tuesday, and Im riding again by wednesday....not typically, thats how its always been.

No idea what "edited by rev rider" means. Thats strange. I did post bad links, and went back in and changed that, but Im not "rev rider"

I think I am a cog member, or I have always been one, and Ive been a member , here, since @2010.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 11:42:47 am by rcannon409 »

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10583
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 11:54:54 am »

No, the cost is right under the bike picture, in red.....350.00, plus shipping.   I think you have to own a BMW before you pay 800.00, for  a reflash. I have a friend with a k 1300s, and thats what hes looking at to get his bike fixed.

I have had 4 reflashes through Ivans shop.  Turn around time has never been over 24 hrs.

Im kind of an impatient idiot, and usually use next day air shipping. Typically, I'll send it in , on monday....it arrives, tuesday, and Im riding again by wednesday....not typically, thats how its always been.

No idea what "edited by rev rider" means. Thats strange. I did post bad links, and went back in and changed that, but Im not "rev rider"

I think I am a cog member, or I have always been one, and Ive been a member , here, since @2010.

:truce:    Roland, There are TWO ways to be a member in COG, one is to be a FREE FORUM MEMBER ( don't pay dues)  and the other is to be a DUES PAYING MEMBER which supports the club FINANCIALLY.  Now, which one are you??   ;)      Alan in S. Fl   :motonoises:   :motonoises:

Offline OKC14

• Bicycle
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 12:25:38 pm »
Whoa, boys... there's room in this town for the both of us...  ;)

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2017, 12:27:39 pm »
I thought it was an automatic renewal, and I still have my member number..?

The member number was good enough to get  a discount on Nationwide insurance.

Honestly, thought it was still good , and this organization is worth supporting...I just renewed it, and Im glad you brought it to my attention. This is the only forum ive ever paid to be  a part of, and the only one that was worth paying for.

I think that nationwide discount was 10% and paid for most of the dues.  Come to think of it...the magazine stopped....thats embarrassing......and sorry.

I know its not a requirement to post here, but still...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:28:20 pm by rcannon409 »

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 01:14:13 pm »
I
Honestly, thought it was still good , and this organization is worth supporting...I just renewed it, and Im glad you brought it to my attention. This is the only forum ive ever paid to be  a part of, and the only one that was worth paying for.

:great:   :beerchug:
Jerry Holland  COG  4478

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 08:27:23 pm »
I sent an email to Ivan asking if he had different versions for different exhaust. The answer was I have to call since Ivan doesn't have email.

I'm very happy with what I have, thank you Steve.

Hi,
You'll need to phone and speak to Ivan (no email)

Cheers
Stephen Goodyear

SG Motorsport 02392 789823
https://www.sgmotorsport.biz   
Road - Race - Restoration
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10583
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 10:08:11 pm »
Thanks Roland for rejoining  :great:.  Now that you joined, if you chose to join ROK  (RIDERS OF KAWASAKI) that is at a discount and along w/that membership they give you motorcycle towing service and other discount benefits they offer.           Alan in S. Fl.

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 11:13:51 pm »
ROK has partnered with AMA so we can no longer get road service from both.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2017, 10:58:58 pm »
Alan, thank you..I will check into that.

It would be nice to have a go to place for  a tow,f needed.   

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 11:10:22 pm »
ROK has partnered with AMA so we can no longer get road service from both.

Hmmm
Interesting...  never saw any benefit from ROK to me, as I don't need another magazine, dont seem active enough in legislation, are "corporate based" and they don't much suit my "needs"... jmho.

I just renewed my AMA, just to keep my "emergency tow" feature active, which covers every vehicle in the household, and anything towed by them..

Had this plan.since it began as "MoTow", a longtime back.. never let me down, and had all my trucks towed at one time or another, within the hour ....
Never used it for the bike yet,.hope never to need it either.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline MichiGlenn

• Road Bike
  • "Wherever you are, be all there" Jim Elliot
  • COG#: 10892
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2017, 11:21:58 pm »
Hi Roland,
For what it's worth, you are still listed on your posts as a forum subscriber.  IIRC you need to log out then back in to update this.  Then you won't be accused of being a non dues-paying member.
Thanks for re-upping!
2001 C-10
1977 Honda CB750K Sold
1978 Honda CB750K Long Gone
1972 Honda CL175 Ancient History
Heald Super Tryke 8hp, Wards T555 Trike

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 04:01:36 am »
Before ROK partnered with AMA if you belonged to both it was possible to get a tow from ROK for 35 miles then get another tow from AMA if needed to get home. Now you only get the AMA service. But you also only pay one fee. Essentially ROK now exists in name only.

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 08:20:46 am »
[thread hijack/] 
Jerry Holland  COG  4478