Author Topic: Ivans performance flash review  (Read 2939 times)

Offline bobgroger

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Ivans performance flash review
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 03:13:05 am »
Here..... https://www.solomotoparts.com/Akrapovic-Racing-Line-Full-Exhaust-for-ZX14-08-11
$1250. Akro pipes are always very noisy. I don't know about the Area P system but I am willing to give up a few horsepower for a reasonable noise level. I'm sure both Steve and Ivan have quality products. Like in IT, there are many ways to achieve the same end result, and most of them are right. Ivan is not a member here AFAIK, Steve is. That counts for something.
09 C14 24k
'80 GS1100e Dragbike 8k
'83 GS1100e stock 42k
'80 GS850 my favorite bike 18k

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9616
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 11:51:25 am »
The Akrapovic exhausts are supplied with a drop in DB killer/insert.

Ive only installed two of them. One on a Ninja 1000, one on an fz09. Both systems fit perfectly, and sounded great (with db killer/insert).   

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 12:14:01 pm »
The Akrapovic exhausts are supplied with a drop in DB killer/insert.

Ive only installed two of them. One on a Ninja 1000, one on an fz09. Both systems fit perfectly, and sounded great (with db killer/insert).

DB killers are HP killers. Do not fool yourself. Anyone who is spending big money on an exhaust and then restricts it has no concept of how an engine works.

BTW, to Bobgroger's comment about being a member... I have been a COG member since 2005, and actually was in a focus group wherein Kawasaki asked a bunch of us c-10 owners what we would like to see on a new concours. Back then, we were all stuck with the stock 4 into 2  exhaust and longed for a 4 into 1 option, so that was the overwhelming response. Maybe that's why we have a single sided exhaust on the c-14 now...  ;)  Steve
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:33:07 pm by Steve in Sunny Fla »
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 12:44:54 pm »
Here..... https://www.solomotoparts.com/Akrapovic-Racing-Line-Full-Exhaust-for-ZX14-08-11
$1250.

If this is indeed the system, that is a pretty good deal.  I was looking at $900 for the slip-on, vs. about $1000 for the full area P, but IMO the Akra is the best looking exhaust out on the market for this bike.  2nd best is Vance & Hines but it still has the adel type clamp for the attachment to the rear frame.  I don't care for the round can style of the rest.  The tri-oval delkevic is not bad but still no integrated hanger bracket like the Akra.  But if there is a full Akra system out there that puts out this kind of torque and hp, for that price, well that is a game changer.  Can an Akra slip-on mount to an Area P header?
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 02:24:14 pm »
$1250.

If this is indeed the system, that is a pretty good deal.  I was looking at $900 for the slip-on, vs. about $1000 for the full area P, but IMO the Akra is the best looking exhaust out on the market for this bike.  2nd best is Vance & Hines but it still has the adel type clamp for the attachment to the rear frame.  I don't care for the round can style of the rest.  The tri-oval delkevic is not bad but still no integrated hanger bracket like the Akra.  But if there is a full Akra system out there that puts out this kind of torque and hp, for that price, well that is a game changer.  Can an Akra slip-on mount to an Area P header?

I would expect the akra slip on and the akra full system muffler are different diameters. Slipons are typically 2" and the full system muffler from area p is 2.25, with a 2.25 mid pipe. The akra pipe looks likeit has smaller head piles that the area p, but that the mid pipe expands from the collectors to the muffler, effectively making it one really good working collector. that's a nice pipe right there, and for 1250.00 is probably a heck of a good deal as far as a top shelf system goes. But since I couldn't find it n Akra's site, and that it's heavily dsicounted to get to the 1250 price, it makes me wonder if it's a discontinued or soon to be discontinued item.  Interesting. Steve
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:55:39 pm by Steve in Sunny Fla »

Offline Throttle 8

• Moped
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 04:14:45 pm »

BTW, to Bobgroger's comment about being a member... I have been a COG member since 2005, and actually was in a focus group wherein Kawasaki asked a bunch of us c-10 owners what we would like to see on a new concours. Back then, we were all stuck with the stock 4 into 2  exhaust and longed for a 4 into 1 option, so that was the overwhelming response. Maybe that's why we have a single sided exhaust on the c-14 now...  ;)  Steve

Would you happen to have any inside info on the new supercharged sport tourer? :). You can tell us--we won't leak it out---lol :)
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 05:02:10 pm »

Would you happen to have any inside info on the new supercharged sport tourer? :). You can tell us--we won't leak it out---lol :)

All I can share is that it cannot be sold or imported into Canada, and something about the Canadian government re-educating any Canadians who are interested in riding / owning such an irresponsible and reckless vehicle.  Sucks, eh? :nananana: ;) Steve

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 05:08:55 pm »
Come on Steve, give it up. We all KNOW you have insider knowledge. Just not sure inside of what! :-\
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Throttle 8

• Moped
  • COG#: 12220
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 07:55:22 pm »

All I can share is that it cannot be sold or imported into Canada, and something about the Canadian government re-educating any Canadians who are interested in riding / owning such an irresponsible and reckless vehicle.  Sucks, eh? :nananana: ;) Steve

:rotflmao:  LOL!
2014  C14 ABS (Metallic Spark Black)
2000 ZX12R Ninja

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 10:02:01 am »
Ivan posted his fuel cut videos.

First is "Fuel cut disabled"   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jrDHTcHwN4

second is "fuel cut enabled"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4SKOcHSUk

Offline joliver

• Mini Bike
    • My former biking days.
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 10420
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 03:37:50 pm »
""I have the flash." as if somehow the flash has something to do with it. We've seen this here on the forum several times, and in each case the culprit was a battery or ground connection, and once it was a failing fuel pump, never the ECU."
Ouch - that was me. I included the info about the flash as I get slammed for not including enough details. If there are future issues, I will not include that information unless asked by Steve. Love the Flash and certainly don't want anyone to think it has issues.
Jim
15 1400 ABS
02 Connie Purchased used after a 35 year break.
75 Suzuki GT 550
72 Suzuki T500
69 Suzuki 250

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 06:59:01 pm »
Ivan posted his fuel cut videos.

First is "Fuel cut disabled"   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jrDHTcHwN4

second is "fuel cut enabled"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4SKOcHSUk

Interesting timing.... ::)
Somehow I see a trend.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 08:55:53 pm »
In the interest of full disclosure, I have been asked by Steve to Beta test a new version of his Flash. It's a refined Full Area P version. I have not and I will not receive any compensation of any kind for this testing. Although I have not yet ridden this flash with the Area P installed I did take a short ride using it with the TBR Slip-on. It was noticeably different but I'll refrain from commenting on it until I finish the long overdue maintenance currently underway.
  Now, about the Ivan/RCannon information. I have some comments and several questions.
Steve is a full forum member and well known here. Ivan has received lots of exposure here but is not a member and has never (to my knowledge) even posted anything. RCannon, who has blatantly made false statements here in the past, seems to be acting as his agent providing free advertising and exposure of his product. Nothing in this life is really free. I wonder if there is compensation involved. This begs the question of Product Advertising on the forum. In MHO this is not a customers opinion but direct marketing of a product and violates the forum rules.
  I have watched the two newest videos very closely and have some observations. In the fuel cut(stock) version if you watch his throttle hand and the chassis reaction(important for mid corner stability) he is visibly more aggressive both on and off throttle than in the "Non fuel cut"(flashed) version. This accentuated the perceived stability of his flash. It's subtle but there if you watch closely. To me this smacks of "Misleading" the customer. If you're going to create a comparison then both examples must be equal. These are not.
  I attempted to contact Ivan but since he doesn't do email or web contact that wasn't possible. This creates the best of all worlds for him. Plausible deniability. Since all of the claims about his flash come from an agent (RCannon) he is not accountable for any claims, true, false or otherwise.
  Lastly the dyno chart showing the greatest increase of power was done with an Akropovic Full Race Exhaust. $$$$ and VERY loud. These pipes will certainly make more power but at a very high cost in both dollars and sound. Some tracks, Thunder Hill and Sears Point will not allow them except for Professionally Sanctioned Races. If your going for a track day they are banned because of the noise level.
  I still have some unanswered questions about both Ivan and his flash but the only source of information seems to be second hand coming from the very person who initially tried to denigrate a respected forum member to advance the business of a non forum member.
  If something appears to good to be true, it usually is. When something smells fishy.... you get the point.

BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 09:31:49 pm »
I've talked to ivan a few times, and I do watch his site.

I've paid full price for every flash I have.  That includes my ninja 1000, and the concours 14.

I've had the flashes updated several times, but with Ivan, those updates are always free.   I pay postage, to and from his shop.

As far as unanswered questions, his phone number is on his site, and usually HE answers the phone.....845-268-1212  his preferred form of contact, as stated on his site......
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:36:49 pm by rcannon409 »

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 10:45:25 pm »
I did not start this thread.  The title, "Ivans performance flash review" never mentioned products sold by anyone else.  Im not being paid to post, or compensated in any way/shape or form....

I think it would be wrong to lock or delete a thread that happened simply because our lives are full of progress..As time goes on, products get better, tools get better, etc...

This video just went up on Ivans youtube page. Its title is:  Fuel cut disabled datalog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i2vCGnyuGk

The second is "Fuel cut enabled datalog"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgBznc8yXJc

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 02:59:23 am »
RCannon,
Compensation, I asked and you answered. Thank you. You didn't start this thread but you did go beyond commenting by promoting a non members product. You do have a history. My advise to you in the future stay as far away from Flash threads as you can. Take it or leave it, your choice and I won't be offended either way. Let Ivan speak for himself.
 Of all the issues I asked about or observed that was the only one addressed.
The "New" videos that you shared do not address throttle manipulation. I would like to have seen an overlay showing throttle position adjacent to the other tracts including torque and Hp. That way we can see not only throttle position but rate of change as indicated by the TPS. I may not be a "Tuner" but I've been building race engines for 35 years and setting records for just about as long. I understand the data, I also understand how it can be manipulated or used to show what you want by leaving something out. I started using date loggers on a bike when they were new and had to be adapted from a car.
  Yes progress will happen and perfection no matter how reached is still perfection. My hat's off to whomever gets there and shares just so long as it's not plagiarized from someone else work.  I know this will never happen and I don't expect this to be taken seriously but it would be interesting to see a line by line comparison of Ivan's code with Steve's code. Not just the flash but their source code for accessing the ECU. Maybe a disinterested third party will volunteer.
  The one who mentioned someone else product was you in the Other thread and it left a very sour taste for many that will have long memories. You may not like that and it may not be "Right" but that's how it is.
  Oh, I did call Ivan at the start of the Other thread because I wanted Firsthand information. After explaining why I was calling the person who answered explained that he "would not be available to speak with me". Not was not available, but would not be and that he does not do email. I'll not call again. So you can either continue to promote a non forum member's product or not. It's up to you.
  If I have offended someone here or violated a forum rule I will desist if asked by the MOD. Otherwise I'll continue to express my honest non PC direct/blunt opinions.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:16:50 pm by Deepsea »

Offline Jim Snyder

• Crotch Rocket
  • The Connie Rocks !!!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 7055
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 06:41:46 am »
I don't even own a C-14 but I do know one thing. Steve (a COG industry member) has been here for years and has gone above and beyond to improve the Concours whether it be C-10 or a C-14. Ivan not a member not so much. There is an old saying in Texas, "you dance with the one who brung ya". Steve brought us to the dance with his products and expertise. Enough said.
"Some days you're the windshield, and some days you're the bug" Get used to it cause thats life !!!

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 10:10:22 pm »
Here is my receipt from Ivan....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 10:28:48 pm »
Here is my receipt from Ivan....

This thread is going absolutly nowhere.
I simply don't get it.

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/concours1400

You're happy, everyone else is happy, let's all be happy, and stop the insanity...
Reciepts? Really????
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Akumu

• Training Wheels
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 10:38:50 pm »
You shouldn't have to do that, RC. You showing receipts is as ridiculous as you being accused of being Ivan's salesman.

Having been through many bikes, though, there's always an untouchable forum member or 2 or 10.

For FZ1s and N1Ks it's Ivan, who is the only game in town and pioneered ECU flashes for those bikes.

For my Tuono its a guy called Gabro.

For the C14 its Steve. (I have his Evo flash and love it.)

I've seen 'challengers' to all of their thrones...and it's never pretty. Not by the flasher...but by the forum members with this PROFOUND sense of loyalty that borders on fanboyism. Ivan will get little to no business from here and maybe not even zggtr forum, due to that loyalty.

I understand why, but at the same time I think its a bit of a shame.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:54:20 pm by Akumu »

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 11:04:39 pm »
RCannon, your receipt was not needed. Your word was good enough for me.

My comments have absolutely nothing do with loyalty or "Fanboyism" and everything to do with fairness and honesty. Steve is only one of Many vendors I do business with. Some treat customers better than others and business ethics are paramount IMHO.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2017, 09:29:09 pm »
RCannon, your receipt was not needed. Your word was good enough for me.

My comments have absolutely nothing do with loyalty or "Fanboyism" and everything to do with fairness and honesty. Steve is only one of Many vendors I do business with. Some treat customers better than others and business ethics are paramount IMHO.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I guess you missed my joking attempt of clarity when I posted the page showing you 182 mph witnessed and verified speed run, on a basically stock C14, which was dated a full month prior to RC's purchase reciept.... I found it humorous... but most people probably missed it all... that piece of paper means more to me in reality than anything being posted by Ivan on youtube in the last 4 days, in an attempt to show in whatever skewed way, one persons flash is superior..
Those vids play out fully my description of the necessity to point out the cartoon of the long foat tail that is being ridden, and the propensity and need for being a viable "playah" to earn some kudos... maybe if he would become an industry member, and make a special offer to this group, to be present... and openly communicate would be a start...
I do want to thank you for being our own personal "crash test dummie" ( jokingly said, and with great respect to you) for showing the true and honest finality of your install in the real world ( meaning not strapped to a dyno... but running onn2 wheels, hell bent for leather) for all to see...
That alone trumps anything, including a $73 Fedex charge... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Y'all ride safe out there...

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2017, 11:41:39 pm »
Some do things and some talk about doing things. Sorry MOB but I completely missed your point. I didn't even look at the receipt. It had no meaning for me. Although the timing is interesting my speed run wasn't made public until Steve published it with my permission. When he asked I wasn't even sure I still had the time slip. It was stuffed in the pocked of my leathers. That's another unique requirement of SCTA/BNI. Leathers may not have any stretch fabric of perforations. What you can wear at a track day won't pass tech for LSR. SCTA/BNI/FIM is by far the most restrictive sanctioning body in existence.