Author Topic: Ivans performance flash review  (Read 1537 times)

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Ivans performance flash review
« on: October 02, 2017, 11:51:38 pm »
I got the ECU flash on my bone stock 2017 Kawasaki Concours 14.   I called beforehand and Ivan answered all my questions, and described a little bit about what I can expect with the bike after the flash. Turnaround time was about an hour after he received it from fedex.

It was everything he said it would be and more.  I have about 250 miles on it so far and about 2600 miles total on the bike. The flash performs beyond my expectations, more power everywhere, but especially in the low-mid range, pulls harder coming out of the same corners, in the same gear as it did before, but the biggest surprise to me was the smoothness, very slight throttle changes, produce instant results, no hesitation anywhere, not a hiccup one, and a lot less decel during gear changes.  It feels like I have infinite throttle control in the corners.  This is the first time I have ever had a bike flashed and I had my doubts a flash could accomplish so much,  but now I am a believer. :great:
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Ivans performance flash review
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 12:05:49 am »
You have my condolences  :welcome:
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 08:40:25 am »
  :popcorn:
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9616
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 10:53:55 am »
Ive had my Ivans flash for a few weeks, and have been riding quite  a bit.

Yesterday, I added the throttle tube from a Yamaha r6.  Its a 1/6 turn as opposed to the stock 1/4 turn.  I dont have a drivetrain lash issue, and this 1/6 turn is much more comfortable.

They are warning you because of some things I said , a few weeks ago..again, Im sorry that thread deteriorated to where it did.  I should have done several things different, and chose not to.

Hopefully this one does not go the same direction, as the flash is brilliant.

Offline Jerdurr

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 02:03:52 pm »
How much is Ivan's flash? where is he located? how does it compare to Steve's flash?
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 04:45:10 pm »
$350+ shipping.  He is in NY.  No idea how it compares to Steve's flash,  I have no way to compare it.  All I can say is it was well worth the money for me, and I am sure you can't go wrong with either flash.
2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10445
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 08:30:33 pm »
$350+ shipping.  He is in NY.  No idea how it compares to Steve's flash,  I have no way to compare it.  All I can say is it was well worth the money for me, and I am sure you can't go wrong with either flash.

if you dont mind me asking, but why/what made you decide to go with ivans flash over SSiF's?
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline khager01

• Training Wheels
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 09:58:45 pm »

if you dont mind me asking, but why/what made you decide to go with ivans flash over SSiF's?

Well it was definitely a tough decision but the two biggest reasons we're number one Ivan used his 2017 model year bike as his test mule, and he assured me that I did not have to unplug my O2 sensors. And he was right I left them plugged in in the bike runs great. I know that's not that big of a deal to unplug the sensors, but with Steve's Flash you have to unplug the sensors which tells me maybe he didn't have enough time on a newer model year bike to get that part of it down.  I think most people had to unplug them although one forum member here claims his runs just as good or better plugged in.

#2 if I decide to add a slip on exhaust in the future he will reflash it at no charge, I would have to pay shipping of course.  When I talk with Ivan on the phone, he told me that it would run just fine with the same Flash but for best results I should let him reflash it, he has an Akrapovic exhaust on his bike and he has a flash for that and he had a delkevic on it before, very minor differences I am sure in the Flash.

The negatives for Ivan are that this is a new Flash, so he doesn't have the track record that Steve does on his Flash, and he also doesn't have a full exhaust Flash at this time.

Let's just say if I had a 2014 model year or older I would have went the other way based on Steve's reputation and his track record.

I did a little research on Ivan too by the way, and he has a good reputation and track record in the ZX world, but this is his first Concours Flash.

2017 Concours 14
2012 V-Strom 650

Offline turbo-max

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 10445
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 11:37:07 pm »

Well it was definitely a tough decision but the two biggest reasons we're number one Ivan used his 2017 model year bike as his test mule, and he assured me that I did not have to unplug my O2 sensors. And he was right I left them plugged in in the bike runs great. I know that's not that big of a deal to unplug the sensors, but with Steve's Flash you have to unplug the sensors which tells me maybe he didn't have enough time on a newer model year bike to get that part of it down.  I think most people had to unplug them although one forum member here claims his runs just as good or better plugged in.

#2 if I decide to add a slip on exhaust in the future he will reflash it at no charge, I would have to pay shipping of course.  When I talk with Ivan on the phone, he told me that it would run just fine with the same Flash but for best results I should let him reflash it, he has an Akrapovic exhaust on his bike and he has a flash for that and he had a delkevic on it before, very minor differences I am sure in the Flash.

The negatives for Ivan are that this is a new Flash, so he doesn't have the track record that Steve does on his Flash, and he also doesn't have a full exhaust Flash at this time.

Let's just say if I had a 2014 model year or older I would have went the other way based on Steve's reputation and his track record.

I did a little research on Ivan too by the way, and he has a good reputation and track record in the ZX world, but this is his first Concours Flash.

thanks for the honest feedback! good to hear the reasons of choice, not a "because i felt like it" reply.
turbo lag is a courteous head start!    ~Jeff H
99 c-10 "the purple monster"
01 c-10 undergoing turbofacation     
03 c-10 some mods...alot of miles
several other c-10's in pieces!

Offline Heel2d

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 11863
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 12:02:45 am »
I've got over 4000 miles now on Steve's flash with my 2015, it runs great, and the O2 sensors are still connected. I saw the disconnect suggestion as one of those "abundance of caution" deals and I haven't noticed anything to make me think different.
Glad you're as happy with your choice as I am with mine.
Enjoy!
2015 Green C-14         Current Garage
1998 Green ZX-9R (2 wheel sport bike)
1980 Honda CB-750 Custom (was my Dad's bike)
2008 Honda S2000 (4 wheel sport bike)
2006 Suzuki DR650 Dual Sport

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 02:23:36 am »
I know that's not that big of a deal to unplug the sensors, but with Steve's Flash you have to unplug the sensors which tells me maybe he didn't have enough time on a newer model year bike to get that part of it down.

It's never a good idea to make assumptions about why any tuner went one way or another with his process. If you have objective evidence that's one thing, supposition is risky and quit frankly unfair to all involved. IMHO

BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 12:22:46 am »
Ivan added a testimonial page to his site:

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/testimonials.htm

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 04:06:21 am »
I know that's not that big of a deal to unplug the sensors, but with Steve's Flash you have to unplug the sensors which tells me maybe he didn't have enough time on a newer model year bike to get that part of it down.

It's never a good idea to make assumptions about why any tuner went one way or another with his process. If you have objective evidence that's one thing, supposition is risky and quit frankly unfair to all involved. IMHO

I was going to stay off this thread, but at some point I have to step up and say "this isn't right".

So far there have been 2 threads about Ivan's flash... and in both of them Ivan's flash was built up by trying to tear the Shoodaben flash down. Both threads had absolutely false statements in them about me and/or my flash.

Because of the disinformation campaign, I have removed the suggestion to disconnect the 02 sensors from my literature. it's not needed, and never was... but apparently it's enough to cause consternation amongst some folks, so relax, you don't need to disconnect the 02 sensors on your 2015 up concours with a Shoodaben flash.

As I've explained to the OP by PM, had he reached out to me and asked about d/c'ing the 02 sensors, I would have explained to him it's something I put in place only as a diagnostic for what has been determined to be poor battery grounds.

The fact is that I've flashed hundreds of concours ECU's. As such, I've had to diagnose some issues, NONE of which EVER were a problem with the ECU or flash. But the fact remains that if someone has a problem with their bike even months after getting the ECU flashed they preface the question of diagnostics with "I have the flash." as if somehow the flash has something to do with it. We've seen this here on the forum several times, and in each case the culprit was a battery or ground connection, and once it was a failing fuel pump, never the ECU.

Folks seem to forget there's a whole motorcycle wrapped around the ECU, they just get wrapped up thinking "the magic in the black box has gone crazy"  because they're suspicious of what they don't understand.  They don't even consider the idea something could be wrong with their bike... til they fix it and find out the ECU had nothing to do with it.

The LAST thing I need is the disinformation that's been levied against me / my flash. As Deepsea stated, it's unfair. This is the internet, where lore is fact. So someone posts something fully incorrect but negative, and folks only read part of it, and the regurgitate the negative. True or not, it doesn't matter.

I would ask that if someone wants to post something about me or my work, AT LEAST HAVE THE FACTS. Please do not engage in disinformation to try to build up your position. I'm not doing it, and I don't appreciate it being done to me.

Steve

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:55:19 am by Steve in Sunny Fla »
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Online RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 07:12:45 am »
In current world of FAKE news, it is rather difficult to discern truth from falsehood for ill educated contingent. 

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 11:29:16 am »
i have a shoodaben flash on my 2016 c14 with an area p full exhaust. the area p has no place to install the 2 o2 sensors, and area p states in the instructions that a reflash is necessary on 2015 and newer to keep the ucu from displaying a constant FI error. steve stated to me that his flash on the area p is programmed to eliminate this FI error problem  on 2015 and newer models with the areap full system. i have dealt with Ivan in the past on my fz1 and Hi kaw, he was always
 been honest and delivered on every promise. so has steve . i am not an expert on electronic systems on newer motorcycles, as i believe most if not all, of the so called experts casting aspersions on honest and well versed vendors. SOOO, if you can't say anything positive, and have no real expertise on a subject,    then say nothing at all....IMHO... :33:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Phil Parker - A real name

• Tricycle
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 05:29:12 am »
Well said Steve. 

I’ve put roughly 20,000 miles on my 2010 C14 over nearly two full years on two different Flashes from Shoodaben.  I’ve learned over that time and spending a fair amount of time learning the differences between Power Commnder style tuning and ECU Tuning.  I’ve lesrned how truly complex the task is and how so many ECU Tuners are what I call Dyno tuners.  It’s quick and cheap to do.  Those tuners primarily tune on the dyno with a WOT( Wide Ooen Throttle).  This isn’t what Steve does.  Seriously, how often do you ride your bike at WOT.  Steve on the other hand is what I call a Precision Tuner.  He is driven to focus on the entire driving experience.  Steve has 3 versions of his ECU Flash, and all three focus on the Concours 14.  That says a lot about where his focus is.  Others however, stamp out a dyno focused ECU Flash for dozens of bikes.  That says a lot to me too. 

I know Steve well enough to know that he’s not done refining his product for the C14. 

Phil

Offline Akumu

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 10:33:45 am »
Well said Steve. 

I’ve put roughly 20,000 miles on my 2010 C14 over nearly two full years on two different Flashes from Shoodaben.  I’ve learned over that time and spending a fair amount of time learning the differences between Power Commnder style tuning and ECU Tuning.  I’ve lesrned how truly complex the task is and how so many ECU Tuners are what I call Dyno tuners.  It’s quick and cheap to do.  Those tuners primarily tune on the dyno with a WOT( Wide Ooen Throttle).  This isn’t what Steve does.  Seriously, how often do you ride your bike at WOT.  Steve on the other hand is what I call a Precision Tuner.  He is driven to focus on the entire driving experience.  Steve has 3 versions of his ECU Flash, and all three focus on the Concours 14.  That says a lot about where his focus is.  Others however, stamp out a dyno focused ECU Flash for dozens of bikes.  That says a lot to me too. 

I know Steve well enough to know that he’s not done refining his product for the C14. 

Phil

I agree with everything you say, but just so you know, Ivan's isn't a WOT style tune, either. His is, if it's like it was for the FZ1, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, all about precision throttle and removal of jerkiness while getting the power he can out of it. (Ala., Steve)

For sure we're fortunate to have both of them tuning for the C14. I enjoy my Steve's flash immensely.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 06:45:53 pm »

Oops.

Which ever works for ya'lll..

Squirrel humor...

Real squirrel....

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:55:52 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Rob9876

• Training Wheels
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 07:19:34 pm »
That is a very nice shiny squirrel. :o 

On a different note, how hard is it for a novice to remove the ECU and then re-install it after a flash (by whomever they choose)?  As I've said before, I'm not much of a mechanic.

Offline rcannon409

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 10:19:45 pm »
"How difficult to remove?....."

Not very difficult.   I removed the four bolts holding down the plastic took kit holder, and that's about it.  From there, just wiggle it from its rubber holder, and unplug.

One important thing.  Do make sure you remove the ecu.  The ecu has two plugs, not three.

The three plug box is the relay box, and something tells me I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every relay box that's been sent in to be flashed.

Ivan posted instructions, right here:    http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/ZG1400_2.htm

« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:25:18 am by rcannon409 »

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 03:02:03 am »
Just be sure not to touch any of the exposed pins.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Rob9876

• Training Wheels
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 03:12:36 am »
Cool, thanks everyone!