Author Topic: Just installed HIKARI LED Headlights! (and City Lights)  (Read 564 times)

Offline whrami

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Just installed HIKARI LED Headlights! (and City Lights)
« on: April 02, 2017, 02:31:04 am »
Just a quick review of these on sale now for 80 bucks!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LCE19PW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed them because I was terrified of not seeing deer on the side of the road. Short summary, it shifted low/high beam to 70/125 if the stock was 50/50. Make sure you unscrew the cap tips off the bulbs. Hardest part was finding a spot to zip tie the ballasts, which were nothing like putting xenon bulbs in back in the day. They have the same quality output. My only gripe is that these are cool white, and hi-vis signs can blind the rider. If i could have gotten these in standard kelvin range that would have been the jackpot.

I also bought 2 of these for city lights. My 2008 C14 now looks and drives like a 2017! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A77UIKW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Matt

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: Just installed HIKARI LED Headlights! (and City Lights)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:56 pm »
How do these compare to the Eviteks?

Offline Goldenhornplayer

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 09:20:56 pm »

Not trying to be smart but I think the only way one could answer your question is to have installed both. That way, an accurate comparison could be possible. I have installed several different makes of LED bulbs in different bikes with varying results. Over time, there is no question that LED bulb choices are improving. I did install the Hikari bulbs in my C14 and couldn't be happier. How they compare to the Eviteks, I have no idea.
2014 C14 RED, EVO Flash

Offline Fais

• It's amazing what one can accomplish if it doesn't matter who gets the credit.
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11594
  • Membership Level: Marketing Officer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 01:05:59 am »

Good question  ;D

Not trying to be smart but I think the only way one could answer your question is to have installed both. That way, an accurate comparison could be possible. I have installed several different makes of LED bulbs in different bikes with varying results. Over time, there is no question that LED bulb choices are improving. I did install the Hikari bulbs in my C14 and couldn't be happier. How they compare to the Eviteks, I have no idea.

Good answer  ;D

Maybe at a rally or bike night you can line up next to someone with stock lights or HIDs or Eviteks and snap a pic? I love my HIDs but am not too dumb to see the future of LED H4s. I am getting past the fact that they should need different reflectors bc in the past year I have seen LEDs working well in our housings. Really well. Thanks for posting up  :great:

:beerchug:
1976 BMW R90S (Luna) - 2000 KLR650 (Dirt McGirt) - 2005 SV1000 (Sue) - 2006 Vespa PX150 (Vino Negro) - 2014 C14 (Betty) - 2017 Z125Pro (MiniZ)
Whether you think you can or can't - you're right!
Instagram @ fais_the_photographer

Offline Vader

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 02:14:00 pm »
I've been looking pretty hard at the OPT7 Fluxbeam H4 LEDs. Plug and Play in the socket with no other outside parts. $100 for the pair. Has anyone tried these?

Offline Goldenhornplayer

• Training Wheels
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 03:05:12 pm »
I've been looking pretty hard at the OPT7 Fluxbeam H4 LEDs. Plug and Play in the socket with no other outside parts. $100 for the pair. Has anyone tried these?

Vader--These might be really great bulbs in that they are using the latest CREE MK-R chips. Those chips have a very high efficacy rating (lumens/watt) and are capable of producing around 1700+ lumens/chip. So, their claim of 3500 lumens/bulb might be reasonable. In addition, color temp is advertised at 6000K so, if that's accurate, the color should be pure white with no or very little blue tint. I would correct you on your comment about no other outside parts. If I'm not mistaken, these bulbs do have an external driver but it should be fairly small and easy to mount. Also, it sounds like the fan housing does separate from the bulb base which is something I believe is very advantageous in retrofitting bulbs like this. Basically, you can install the bulb base and get your retaining spring back in place before twist-locking the fan housing back on. Not having installed these particular bulbs in a C14, my concerns would be how easily the rubber sealing boot can fit around the fan section and also, how well the bulb works in the reflector housing. I can about guarantee you this...if they fit in there properly and you're able to reinstall the boot, you'll have plenty of light output, far greater than stock and equal to or better than most HID bulbs. The issue with LED bulbs has not been how bright they appear but rather, how much light they project down-the-road. Much progress has been made in the last couple of years in this regard. So, in summary, to respond to your question, there are no guarantees when it comes to retrofitting LED bulbs but this does appear to have the potential to be a good solution.
2014 C14 RED, EVO Flash