Author Topic: keep my Versys or buy a Concours?  (Read 731 times)

Offline stallhorn

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
keep my Versys or buy a Concours?
« on: July 25, 2018, 12:47:55 pm »

Hi all,

This is driving me nuts.

I have a 2011 Versys that I am having a hard time selling, but at the same time, I am going back and forth between keeping it or go for the concours 14. I bought the Versys new and rode it 23k miles so far - half commute and half fun. Rides nicely and I am used to it. I like the bike in general, but I have a couple of items that I don't like about it:

- Lack of ABS and traction control and other newer technology.

- Gets buzzy at freeway speeds - 60+. Mirror shakes and can't see clearly behind me. Did a few things to improve that, but still buzzy.

- two up (which I do once in a while) kinda bogs the bike down.

Reasons that make me want to keep the bike:

- Can't sell it. Too many miles on it is what I keep hearing (23k+). Do people ride the bikes they buy?

- I am used to it - lighter than the connie and easier to maneuver.

Reasons that make me want to go for the Connie:

- Always wanted it

- More comfortable at freeway speeds

- Will probably take weekend trips

- I wanted a concours in 2011 but went with the Versys as a first bike after a long hiatus - upon advice from a lot of people.

Can't have two bikes (so the wife says) so I have to choose.

Talk me out of the connie.. or the Versys.

Shawn
2018 C14
2011 Versys 650 - sold

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
  • COG#: Forum
Re: keep my Versys or buy a Concours?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 01:11:45 pm »
Without any intention to offend you... and considering motorcycles are (usually) more for fun than purely function as a car is most (not always) of the time;

Keep my Corolla, or buy a Supra?

My response would be the Supra, any day.

Go with your heart, that's usually the right buy when it comes to bikes.
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 01:49:22 pm »
I have both. Your choices are a million miles from each other. They are nothing alike an any respect except that they both have 2 wheels. you will give up nimbleness with the concours, you will gain power / smoothness / long distance comfort / more modern brake and engine control. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline P07r0457

• Training Wheels
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 01:50:40 pm »
To me the Versys and C14 are quite different bikes...  Which fits your needs better?  The Versys is probably a better city commuter bike.  With the right tires you can do some adventure riding.  C14 is a better bike for long distances, overall power, and longevity.

I think 23k miles is probably "high" for a used Versys -- which jives with the reactions you say you're getting from potential buyers.  How long does a Versys usually run?  40-60k total?  They're buying a bike that on/near the last half of it's usable life.

With a C14, I'd say the general consensus is 100k+ is not unreasonable life expectancy.  So I think you'd find buyers are more willing to accept higher mileage bikes on the used market.  That said, the C14 does NOT hold its value particularly well, either...  So don't buy a C14 unless you plan on holding on to it, imo.

I've been temped with the new 2019 Honda Goldwing -- love them -- but the resale value on my C14 has brought me to the conclusion that it should stay in my stable, for the foreseeable future.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Offline okrider

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 01:57:05 pm »
I think what you need to do is clear. Help out with housework more, buy flowers, tell her you love her and earn the right to own both.
2011 Black: Russel Day Long, Helibars Horizon, Kawi top case, ECU flash, lowered passenger pegs

Offline Buzzard

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 02:20:50 pm »
Have both! Consider that a 2008-2010 Concours with 40-50K on it can be had for between $4000-$5000 from what I've seen lately,with all the goodies. Look for one that has had the valves adjusted, well cared for, with ABS,  and you will have a great bike.

Offline mms

• Training Wheels
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 02:39:16 pm »
+1 for keeping both. I sold my YZF when I got my Concours. They are different bikes. The YZF was lighter and was a better bike for anything less than 100 miles. For going on multi day rides the Concours is much much better. I regret not having both.

Offline stallhorn

• Tricycle
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 02:42:27 pm »
I think what you need to do is clear. Help out with housework more, buy flowers, tell her you love her and earn the right to own both.

LOL.. that is funny - but something I can compromise on..
2018 C14
2011 Versys 650 - sold

Offline gsun

• Crotch Rocket
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 03:15:25 pm »
Keep both. Tell your wife you are getting the Connie so you can ride two up with her. My wife was not comfortable on the Connie so I got a Spyder for two up. Kept both. She was all in on that one.

Offline Phil

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 05:48:53 pm »

I think 23k miles is probably "high" for a used Versys -- which jives with the reactions you say you're getting from potential buyers.  How long does a Versys usually run?  40-60k total?  They're buying a bike that on/near the last half of it's usable life.

Not even close. There is no reason a Versys will only run for 40-50K miles. Absolutely ridiculous. The engine is a modern, liquid cooled design. There is no reason with proper maintenance, that it could not easily run 100,000 miles and more. It should be no different in that regard than the Concours.

Offline Tinsailor

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 7402
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 10:50:30 pm »
That’s what I was going to suggested, have both and the great thing about that is you’ve got something to ride while your doing maintenance on one of them. See, wasn’t that easy?

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 10:55:56 pm »
 :iagree:

That's what I do. Both can't be broke at the same time except in the dead of winter.

I like the 900 in and around town. It seems it's about half the weight of a C14.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Herbie

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 10384
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 08:40:26 am »
I bought a 2014 Versys 650 brand new, rode a little over 2000 miles and sold it to buy a C10. The Versys is a great bike but in my area they sell cheap, I sold mine for $3900. A couple of things I didn't like was the seat ( I know it can be changed, been there done that. For whatever reason I've found on most bikes I like the factory original the best). Number 2 is almost no weather protection or storage. Now I know all that could be fixed but its a lot easier and cheaper just to buy the bike you want to spend the most time on.
 For me owning two has never been an option, lack of garage space, money, wife and on and on

So if owning two was doable that would be the ticket because every bike I sell I wish I had it back after a couple of days!  >:(

Man I miss my Versys, all 4 Magna's, Sabre, Spirit, 03 C10, my cb,cl, and xr and on and on  :))

Offline Rico

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12496
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 10:41:24 am »
Keep both.... Nothing wrong with owning more than one bike...actually a good idea. I am about to take a trip on my Yamaha R1 and just started doing a high idle problem. Don't know if I'll be able to fix her by time I'm leaving....NO problem, taking the Concours!
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Offline who me?

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11932
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 10:52:29 am »
Do this maybe the other half will approve funding
I have no idea about anything.
95 C10 The Mule
02 C10 parts are parts

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 10:58:57 am »
Lack of jewelry (factory options) makes Connie an honest gal with whom you can have great times together and have no compunction thereafter.
I don't. The more I ride, the more I am smitten with the big gal.
P.S Unlike some I am monogamous when it comes to affairs with motorbikes. Hence, I am unable to advice you on owning more than one motorbike.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:05:21 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline mirage

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 01:00:13 am »

My son bought a Verys with 45K on it.  Checked the valves and rebuilt the forks.  It's solid and doesn't use any oil after 3k. My ZRX has 45K on it and doesn't use oil and is solid. My KLR (bought new) has over 34K on the clock. 685 kit and two trips to CO.  Better than the day it was purchased.  Looking at a 2016 Connie to replace the ZRX if my riding starts going up. It's easy to turn your nose up on a used bike but for what you pay in sales tax I would not be afraid of a 30-40K bike at all.

Offline kawafornia

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 01:45:55 am »
I have both - '12 Versys, '11 C14. They are quite different bikes. V for daily commuting, errands, short trips, C for road trips, 2 up, and humbling Corvettes.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 10:28:14 am »
I have both - '12 Versys, '11 C14. They are quite different bikes. V for daily commuting, errands, short trips, C for road trips, 2 up, and humbling Corvettes.

This ^^^. I have both also, the 650 is a '15, the c14 is a '12. They are alike in that they have 2 wheels. After that... not so much. If you can afford to have both, do it. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline SpeedyCoop

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12609
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 05:07:23 pm »
I have both, 2008 C14 and 2011 Versys. Never can have too many motorcycles!

Offline stallhorn

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 10:30:26 pm »
Well, Versys is gone - somebody got a good deal on it.

Now on to a Connie. Wife discouraged me anything below 2015 and anything that doesn't have warranty. Thinking about just going ahead with a new one. Price seems to be pretty reasonable at around 12k.
2018 C14
2011 Versys 650 - sold