Author Topic: key fob question  (Read 4125 times)

Offline alaskarider

• Alaskarider
  • Tricycle
  • 2012 Concours, 2006 Victory Vegas
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10380
  • Membership Level: Active
key fob question
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:01:04 am »
I am new to this forum. After I blew the engine in my 06 ax14  i got a new 2012 Concours abs. I love the bike and rode it from Naples Florida to Seattle. The dealership couldn't find the manual so they said I could pick it up when I got back.
I rode the whole way without taking the key out of my fob ( except to open the gas cap or the bags) or using the key in my credit card fob; I just turned the wheel that kinda looks like a stove's knob and I used my key in the key fob for the gas cap and bags. Is there some reason I shouldn't be doing this? It seems that most of the problems with the key fob are about taking the key in and out of the bike. It seems that these problems are all avoided by just using the knob?
also who sells the highway pegs and the protective bars for the saddlebags?
I am riding back the middle of September and hope to get the pegs and bars by then as well as find out about the fob question. Lots of great information here I was lucky to find it. :great:
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer
the future's uncertain and the end is always near

near Naples fla that is

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: key fob question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:18:56 am »
The myth about never removing the ignition key from the ignition is just like 'kill the virgin, grow the wheat'- it sounds great but really doesn't work. The stove knob key was always meant to be removed and used in the Fuel cap, Saddlebags or Seat locks (FSS position on the ignition). Some people think removing that key is 'bad juju' but that is nothing more than any other urban legend.

I have had my C-14 since 25 July 2007, am closing on 90 K miles on the bike and have always used the stove knob key for all locks on the bike. Doing that is part of what makes KiPass convenient in the first place.

Brian

I am new to this forum. After I blew the engine in my 06 ax14  i got a new 2012 Concours abs. I love the bike and rode it from Naples Florida to Seattle. The dealership couldn't find the manual so they said I could pick it up when I got back.
I rode the whole way without taking the key out of my fob ( except to open the gas cap or the bags) or using the key in my credit card fob; I just turned the wheel that kinda looks like a stove's knob and I used my key in the key fob for the gas cap and bags. Is there some reason I shouldn't be doing this? It seems that most of the problems with the key fob are about taking the key in and out of the bike. It seems that these problems are all avoided by just using the knob?
also who sells the highway pegs and the protective bars for the saddlebags?
I am riding back the middle of September and hope to get the pegs and bars by then as well as find out about the fob question. Lots of great information here I was lucky to find it. :great:
KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline EnsoniqDude

• Road Bike
  • Running Down a Dream
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:36:00 am »
Bars, pegs, etc. can be found in the Acessories section on the main Forum menu.  Plenty of stuff to dig through.
2010 C14 - "Neptune Blue" - All praise be unto the blessed color!
2007 Ural Tourist
1997 ZX-11
1984 Nighthawk S
1976 CB750
1965 Dream

"Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and when I do, its usually something strange and unusual."

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
  • COG#: 9279
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:21:21 am »
The myth about never removing the ignition key from the ignition is just like 'kill the virgin, grow the wheat'- it sounds great but really doesn't work. The stove knob key was always meant to be removed and used in the Fuel cap, Saddlebags or Seat locks (FSS position on the ignition). Some people think removing that key is 'bad juju' but that is nothing more than any other urban legend.

Gosh, I never heard that myth. Now I feel left out.  :motonoises:

When I got mine in January of this year, I had already had the manual a week. The dealer gave it to me the day I came in to sign the papers and drop off my PR3s and Genmar 406 risers to be installed (for free, of course.... traded the stock tires basically). So when I rode it home, and parked it in the garage, I started fooling with stuff to see it first hand. Turned the key all the way right, took it out, compared it to the fob key, opened the side bags with it, put it back in the ignition lock, and thats where its been ever since.

I wear my big fob on a neck lanyard you can buy at Radio Shack or Amazon which is designed to hold an iPod or small digital camera. So its always with me where I can easily get the key out when I'm riding.

So it just never occurs to me to take the key out of the ignition, because it is less convenient to do so.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2017 Forest River Flagstaff Super-V 27VRL travel trailer
Where are you? [insert random forest name]

Offline Pistole

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:39:16 am »

- cut a spare key for the fuel cap + panniers.

- leave the knob-key in the bike.

- that will ensure you long and reliable service from the bike.

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 11:42:37 am »
Owner manuals are available for free online at Kawasaki.com
| Steve Smith | COG #3184 |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:39:01 pm »
Owner manuals are available for free online at Kawasaki.com

+1 on that. When the guy flew down from Canada to get my ZX14, I gave him a new manual, since I had lost the original. Easy to order at Kawasaki.com.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 8442
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 03:56:49 pm »
I had a spare key cut that I use for the seat/Bag access.  For fuel cap I use the stove knob.  22k miles and zero issues with that ;)
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
  • COG#: 7134
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 05:13:42 pm »
  Of course I totally disagree with Brian on this. (yeah, big surprise there) :-\   Although there have been plenty of folks who have used the stove knob key without issues. (I will give Brian that) But as always, Brian plays down anything negative about the Concours 14. (Sorry buddy, but you know it's true).  :rotflmao:
   Anyway, quite a few folks (probably more than say they haven't had any issues), have come on the forums with bent key stories. The fact is that the stove knob key is woefully inadequate in it's design. Thus many folks bend them at the slightest exertion of force on said key. Now Brian being an engineer understands this and treats his very gingerly. Thus he claims to have not experienced a bending issue. Well at least not one that he would ever admit.  ::)    But then again, if you listen to Brian, this bike is the best designed and most dependable bike ever made, that has never given anyone any issues either. Of course this is not true either. And Brian's bike is the perfect example. He has probably gotten his bike for free by now, with all the warranty trips it has made to his dealer.  And most of them was when the bike didn't have many miles on it. I guess it does get better with age. :rotflmao:
  As far as KIPASS being convenient. Like anything, it is a matter of opinion. Some folks do not find it convenient at all. But if they don't agree with the pro-KIPASS contingent,  they're bad people. And of course, according to said contingent, folks who have had KIPASS trouble or just do not care for the system, doesn't exists anyway. As we know, nobody has ever had a problem with the system. Like the bent key issue, it's only folk lore (according to certain people).   :rotflmao:

Now in all fairness. If you're careful with that stove knob key. You could theoretically use it without issues (as Brian claims to have done). Like a lot of others folks, I myself also made spare keys and used them instead of either of the KIPASS designed keys. I found both the Stove Knob and the small fob keys to be more trouble than any normal designed key for such (FSS) uses. I found separate keys on it's own fob to be much more convenient and better designed than either of the KIPASS supplied keys. (Like I said, a matter of opinion) And in my opinion, only Kawasaki would design such a system that uses all the disadvantages of a key, without any of the advantages.   :))

Well that was fun.   :nananana:

I have had my C-14 since 25 July 2007, am closing on 90 K miles on the bike and have always used the stove knob key for all locks on the bike. Doing that is part of what makes KiPass convenient in the first place.

Brian

Offline S Smith

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 05:33:14 pm »
I use the FSS position and the stove knob key pretty much exclusively when fueling and accessing the bags.  I've yet to experience any trouble.

Last year I remember witnessing a new C14 owner try to turn the key without waiting for KiPass to indicate ready (display of stove key symbol).

I suspect many stove knob keys are bent by less patient riders who may have used "gorilla" hands on the stove knob.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:38:20 pm by S Smith »

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Road Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 05:40:07 pm »
+1..I think maybe bob is a clutz, or an infiltrator from HOG!!!! :iagree:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 05:44:37 pm »
And this is exactly why I rarely discuss the <k-word> on this forum in any way.

To others reading along, Bob does not, can not and never has spoken for me. So when Bob expresses my views and opinions it does not in fact reflect my views and opinions. If someone would care to know what I think about a given subject, please feel free to read anything I have written in the public domain or contact me so that I can clarify any issues that may have been.... ‘incorrectly adjusted’.

Brian

Of course I totally disagree with Brian on this. (yeah, big surprise there) :-\   Although there have been plenty of folks who have used the stove knob key without issues. (I will give Brian that) But as always, Brian plays down anything negative about the Concours 14. (Sorry buddy, but you know it's true).  :rotflmao:
   Anyway, quite a few folks (probably more than say they haven't had any issues), have come on the forums with bent key stories. The fact is that the stove knob key is woefully inadequate in it's design. Thus many folks bend them at the slightest exertion of force on said key. Now Brian being an engineer understands this and treats his very gingerly. Thus he claims to have not experienced a bending issue. Well at least not one that he would ever admit.  ::)    But then again, if you listen to Brian, this bike is the best designed and most dependable bike ever made, that has never given anyone any issues either. Of course this is not true either. And Brian's bike is the perfect example. He has probably gotten his bike for free by now, with all the warranty trips it has made to his dealer.  And most of them was when the bike didn't have many miles on it. I guess it does get better with age. :rotflmao:
  As far as KIPASS being convenient. Like anything, it is a matter of opinion. Some folks do not find it convenient at all. But if they don't agree with the pro-KIPASS contingent,  they're bad people. And of course, according to said contingent, folks who have had KIPASS trouble or just do not care for the system, doesn't exists anyway. As we know, nobody has ever had a problem with the system. Like the bent key issue, it's only folk lore (according to certain people).   :rotflmao:

Now in all fairness. If you're careful with that stove knob key. You could theoretically use it without issues (as Brian claims to have done). Like a lot of others folks, I myself also made spare keys and used them instead of either of the KIPASS designed keys. I found both the Stove Knob and the small fob keys to be more trouble than any normal designed key for such (FSS) uses. I found separate keys on it's own fob to be much more convenient and better designed than either of the KIPASS supplied keys. (Like I said, a matter of opinion) And in my opinion, only Kawasaki would design such a system that uses all the disadvantages of a key, without any of the advantages.   :))

Well that was fun.   :nananana:

KiPass keeping you up at night? Has the low fuel warning burned your retinas? Find peace, harmony and the answer to these problems. www.incontrolne.com

Offline Gypsy JR

• American Gypsy
  • I Need a Life
  • Living the Gypsy Life
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 06:27:27 pm »
All I know is there is like 3 or 4 competing fob topics at the top of the section right now, which is at least 2 too many.

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:48 pm »
I have found that the metal used in the stove knob key (as well as the fob keys) is made of the same fine grade chocolate that every other Ign key I have for my vehicles has ever used.  you have to be careful with it or it can bend, this has nothing to do with the FOB or the Kipass system, it's going to be the same on any vehicle.  (I bent 2 keys on my C-10, and one on my FJR)

Just don't manhandle it and you will be fine
You only need two tools in life – WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the duct tape.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 07:46:39 pm »
+1..I think maybe bob is a clutz, or an infiltrator from HOG!!!! :iagree:

Just to point out, I never bent stove knob my key either. But I did see how soft and weak the key was, thus how easy it would bend. So I did take precautions by using other keys instead. And yes I found them much more convenient than either the stove knob key or fob key. Of course this was just my opinion and preference.

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 08:21:22 pm »
  Sorry Brian, didn't mean to get your panties in a wad. Just to clarify to others. The views I expressed were my views and not Brian's. But what I said is exactly how you have come across for five years now.

<deleted>

So give it a rest being the KIPASS Crusader.  If you like the system, fine. But let the folks who do not like it, for what ever reason, be entitled to their opinion as well. For right, wrong or indifferent reasons. It is their right.

And this is exactly why I rarely discuss the <k-word> on this forum in any way.

To others reading along, Bob does not, can not and never has spoken for me. So when Bob expresses my views and opinions it does not in fact reflect my views and opinions. If someone would care to know what I think about a given subject, please feel free to read anything I have written in the public domain or contact me so that I can clarify any issues that may have been.... ‘incorrectly adjusted’.

Brian

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:42:09 pm by Cap'n Bob »

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 08:45:36 pm »
There are exactly four words to describe that Bob and they are HI- LAR-I- OUS.

Methinks there just might be a crusader around this thread someplace.... let's all look really hard and see if we can spot him.

Not to worry Bob, my panties are just fine but thanks for thinking about them.  :-\

So Bob, are you keeping up with all those Fudger recalls OK? Does grouping them together save time at the dealer- you know, doing three or four at one time?

:rotflmao:

Brian

<snip>

Crusader. 

<snip>

Offline Cap'n Bob

• GOLD STAR
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 08:57:59 pm »
Sorry, So far, no recalls. No hiccups. No problems of any kind. (well I did tighten the steering stem nut a little bit). But just fluids and tires so far. Well I did have my Zumo base go bad, and my radar detector popped a fuse one time. (Oh no, electrical stuff!  :-\  ) Although I probably just put the whammy on myself.  :-[   And I'm getting close to the C14's mileage and time of ownership.  :)

<snip>

So Bob, are you keeping up with all those Fudger recalls OK? Does grouping them together save time at the dealer- you know, doing three or four at one time?

Brian

Offline S Smith

• Officer
  • I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 10:54:36 pm »
Hmmmm...  protagonist is to crusader,  as antagonist is to..... 
 :nananana:  :rotflmao:

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 10:57:31 pm »

Lollypop?  LOL

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 11:02:18 pm »
Mashugana? Wait, is that a verb or a noun?

Let's use it in a few sentances both ways and see which one works....

"I think Bob is mashugana!"

"I think Bob is acting mashugana!"

"I do not understand Bob's interest in my underware, he must be mashugana!"

Hmmm, I guess it works either way.   ;)

Here kitty, kitty.

Brian

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 12:57:20 am »
Whoa, don't be hatin' folks!?  The FOB is my favorite part of my C14 experience.  Well, KiPass in general is because its pushed my '10 bike over 60,000 miles and I haven't even had to adjust the idle nor throttle cable. Although I know its due to the mad pow-ah of KiPass, I can only theorize this power is emitted from the FOB itself.  My mad-awesome FOB:

And the pow-ah of my one FOB combined with B.D.F's TWO Fobs, was just incredible.  I saw Sushi at the next table cook itself and everyone was amazed, except me. I knew where the pow-ah had come from as these were on our table and B.D.F.s wife was kind enough to take a snapshot for us:

And here is how my FOB rests at night (although it deserves better):

Be VERY careful if you doubt the FOB.  Its pow-ah almost made me sell my bike this night to a more grateful person.  I was doubting and when I took a pic the $#%^ing FOB pow-ah made me appear.....not healthy!!!

PLEASE don't bash the KiPass.  It bothers me because honestly I'm not a Kawi fan but KiPass made it right.  And for the record I've never kept a bike this long and have had many.  Again, all due to KiPass!

KiPass!

Offline Mad River Marc

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 01:30:00 am »
60k on a 2010?  Wow..   :motonoises:

How far are you planning to take this bike?

Offline stevewfl

• Iron Butt
  • COG# 9334
  • COG#: 9334
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 01:49:00 am »
60k on a 2010?  Wow..   :motonoises:

How far are you planning to take this bike?

Yes sir - Hopefully the FOB will keep it going > 100,000
KiPass!

Offline BDF

• Iron Butt
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 02:17:44 am »
Wow, that was close Steve- we needed your fair, logical and honest opinion to balance against the forces of darkness and hatred. It is great that you happened along (chuckle, chuckle).

I do remember some kind of a force, perhaps a ripple in the space - time fabric when we put those three fobs together. It was a transcendental moment for all of us (in RI).

But you are right, there is no denying the wonderfulness that is KiPass. Why on a cold, lonely night one can rub his for and remember more pleasant times. One could almost say that it was like sex.... only good.

:D

Brian

Whoa, don't be hatin' folks!?  The FOB is my favorite part of my C14 experience.  Well, KiPass in general is because its pushed my '10 bike over 60,000 miles and I haven't even had to adjust the idle nor throttle cable. Although I know its due to the mad pow-ah of KiPass, I can only theorize this power is emitted from the FOB itself.  My mad-awesome FOB:

And the pow-ah of my one FOB combined with B.D.F's TWO Fobs, was just incredible.  I saw Sushi at the next table cook itself and everyone was amazed, except me. I knew where the pow-ah had come from as these were on our table and B.D.F.s wife was kind enough to take a snapshot for us:

And here is how my FOB rests at night (although it deserves better):

Be VERY careful if you doubt the FOB.  Its pow-ah almost made me sell my bike this night to a more grateful person.  I was doubting and when I took a pic the $#%^ing FOB pow-ah made me appear.....not healthy!!!

PLEASE don't bash the KiPass.  It bothers me because honestly I'm not a Kawi fan but KiPass made it right.  And for the record I've never kept a bike this long and have had many.  Again, all due to KiPass!