Author Topic: KIPASS  (Read 929 times)

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
KIPASS
« on: October 15, 2018, 09:16:23 pm »
I lost a fob. Anyone have a KIPASS ecu with matching fob I can buy? Trade? Give up an organ for?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: KIPASS
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 11:17:35 pm »
I realize this is your second posting here, so you need a bit more info when you ask for parts...

I assume this is for the wrecked 2014 you just purchased.. if so, i don't know of any out there right now, if it was an '08-'09, I may have been able to suggest someone, but for a '14, the parts are different...
you need the combo from '10 thru '18 models...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:41:14 pm »
I think you can still pair a fob if you have the passive fob or the credit card one.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 04:48:41 pm »
I have no fob at all.

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 07:36:38 pm »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:25:49 pm »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173572976609

So this 2008 won’t work with my 2014??

I recently researched this combination a couple weeks ago, and the answer is NO.

here are the historic part numbers, and the replacements that have been made when parts were superseded... all of the parts at this point have been superseded by another part, but '08-'09 differ from the rest, and '10 thru '18 use the superseded parts also noted for those model years.

breakdown of parts changes:

'08-'09

21175-0183  ECU
27006-0048 IGN SW. ('08 model)
27006-0060 IGN SW ('09 model)
21175-0181 FOB (2 pcs)

'10 thru '14
21175-0299  ECU
27006-0074 IGN SW.
21175-0296 FOB ACTIVE (1 pc)
21175-0256 FOB, Passive (1 pc)

'15 thru '17
21175-0730  ECU
27006-0601 IGN SW.
21175-0726 FOB ACTIVE (1 pc)
21175-0256 FOB, Passive (1 pc)

'18-
21175-0730  ECU
27006-0620 IGN SW
fobs, same as '15 thru '17

now, I did check Ron Ayers, as I was pricing, and see that in fact the original 2 ACTIVE FOBS  (-0181 and -0296) have indeed been shown to be superseded by the -0726 p/n,
and also all years IGN SW p/n's have been superseded by the -0620 part...
The '08-'09 ECU's were replaced with -0729, for these 2 years only..

The '10-'14  -0299 ECU's were replaced by -0730 supposedly... making them the same for '10 thru '18.. if you trust that...

as for your purchase, I'd suggest you stop buying replacement parts for the broken/damaged bike now.
Did you not know, the bike needs keys and FOB('s) to start the engine?
or did the seller mislead you and tell you different?
I would see an attorney, and get your money back... a.s.a.p.
You said you got a "good deal" on this bike,but it sounds like you entered a nightmare, as you don't even know if this bike runs... I would be very disappointed if I spent money like that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 08:44:47 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 10:26:42 pm »
Thank you for your research!  Greatly appreciated

I spent $700 on the bike. I figured the wheels were worth that. I didn’t know about a fob. I texted him afterwards and he didn’t know either. I noticed used 2014’s sell for typically $10k. I’ve certainly spent more on other bikes to get them going but it was worth it as I rode them for years. I still think this bike has potential.

Do I need the ecu and KIPASS ecu and fob?  Or just KIPASS ecu and fob?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 11:20:40 pm »
Thank you for your research!  Greatly appreciated

I spent $700 on the bike. I figured the wheels were worth that. I didn’t know about a fob. I texted him afterwards and he didn’t know either. I noticed used 2014’s sell for typically $10k. I’ve certainly spent more on other bikes to get them going but it was worth it as I rode them for years. I still think this bike has potential.

Do I need the ecu and KIPASS ecu and fob?  Or just KIPASS ecu and fob?

you will need an ECU like
21175B   21175-0299   CONTROL UNIT-ELECTRONIC   1

or

21175B   21175-0730   CONTROL UNIT-ELECTRONIC   1

which I noted above, or the one that supersedes it..
this ECU part number comes with an Active Transponder Fob, pre registered to the ECU.
the issue is that in order to install, and activate the system, a matched FOB is required, to start and initiate the programming sequence... for the replacement of any of those components... thats why a new ECU comes with an Active Fob.
so searching ebay, may not provide the correct combo, transponder and ecu... just be wary...
as for 'keys' hopefully there is a stove knob key, still in place in the ignition switch... if not, and no key whatsoever is present, you will be then needing to purchase an ignition lock and key, and the ECU/Fob combo, and all gets programmed at the install...

you will have to transport the bike to a dealership, to make the parts all get recognized, by programing using a KDS3 attached hardware/software system.

just so you don't get sticker shock, that ECU/FOB combo runs $912 from Kaw...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:29:47 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Rico

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12496
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 11:51:09 pm »
Hey Lee, how bad is the bike?
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 02:41:21 pm »
Just damage to plastics. Right handlebar broken off. Muffler bent inward. Engine had scrape on right cover. But no dents. I think I can just fire up the engine if I get the KIPASS figured out.  >:(

Offline Rico

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12496
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 04:35:29 pm »
Hard to do, but if you find one with a bad engine, you could make out like a bandit. Sell the rest of the parts and make most of your money back....Hard to do with such good engines.
"Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity. One lick and you'll suck forever!"Brian Willson

Online ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 10:55:18 am »
Just damage to plastics. Right handlebar broken off. Muffler bent inward. Engine had scrape on right cover. But no dents. I think I can just fire up the engine if I get the KIPASS figured out.  >:(

Did you get a real title with this heap - or is it still "in the mail"??

I smell a rat.  :o

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 03:30:51 pm »
I got the Real title. I guess I could compare the vin numbers.

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 08:48:08 pm »

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 11:10:44 pm »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123052245194

Does this look good?
Country of origin: Lithuania. Looks just as sketchy as a Nigerian Prince.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 12:27:04 am »
besides sending them your ignition switch... and hoping it comes back, it's only providing a "temporary" immobilizer chip, which is not the same as a FOB, and cannot be trusted for longevity, and security.. it also requires 'scanning' that chip manually, every time you want to start the bike...  and anyone that sends those people their ignition switch, gets the exact same 'immobilizer chip' code programmed into the chip, rendering it the same as 'handing out fobs' to the whole worls.. i find that unnacceptable...

LEE;
I sent you a link, for a KDS3 manual (it's an '08-'09 version) which should explain the temporary immobilizer thing to you. If you read it.

it's not a fix tho, it's a bandaid kluge, same as unplugging the grey harness connection and replugging it in and immediatly starting the bike.. just a waste of time. And for emergency use, not reliable everyday riding.

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 06:18:30 am »
Wait... if I disconnect and reconnect the wires then I can start the bike without a chip?..  which ones?

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 01:24:42 pm »
Wait... if I disconnect and reconnect the wires then I can start the bike without a chip?..  which ones?
Lee, you have been told several times by several people how to fix your bike. The answer isn’t going to change no matter how many times you ask.

That said, if I remember right, there’s a gray plug underneath the top fairing on the left side. That’s the plug MOB is talking about.

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 02:35:38 pm »
I have read the manual a few time. Thank you.

If there is anything I’ve learned in this life is that there is 100 ways to do anything. It’s best to learn them all. And if you fail 99 times it’s just because you’ve given up! So please don’t be upset for my endless questions. LOL

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 03:58:11 pm »
Oh we’re not upset man. This bike is ten years old now with ZERO change to the KIPASS system. Take it from the people who have already asked all the questions you are asking now.

You have 3 options here to get a running, reliable bike.

1. Cough up $1200 plus a tow to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

2.  Find a Kipass ECU with fobs on eBay for your year, tow to the dealer and tell them to make it work.

3.  Cough up $1000 to the dealer for a Kipass ECU and fobs, find someone in your area with a KDS, give them beer or some other form of compensation, ask them to make it work.

That’s it. No other reasonable options exist.

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 04:52:03 pm »
Ok. I’ll make it happen eventually.

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 05:23:54 pm »
I have read the manual a few time. Thank you.

If there is anything I’ve learned in this life is that there is 100 ways to do anything. It’s best to learn them all. And if you fail 99 times it’s just because you’ve given up! So please don’t be upset for my endless questions. LOL

Though that may be true to an extent, when it comes to security devices such as KIPASS, not really. It is designed to work one way, and there is no way to bypass it, otherwise, from a security standpoint, it would be worthless. As for its worth in general, I still prefer a key, but that's me. I like the overall bike enough though, to overlook the pointless, needlessly complex method of starting the bike.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 09:25:02 pm »
Oh we’re not upset man. This bike is ten years old now with ZERO change to the KIPASS system. Take it from the people who have already asked all the questions you are asking now.

You have 3 options here to get a running, reliable bike.

1. Cough up $1200 plus a tow to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

2.  Find a Kipass ECU with fobs on eBay for your year, tow to the dealer and tell them to make it work.

3.  Cough up $1000 to the dealer for a Kipass ECU and fobs, find someone in your area with a KDS, give them beer or some other form of compensation, ask them to make it work.

That’s it. No other reasonable options exist.

Thank you Jessie, I greatly apreciate that.

Personally, at this point, I already have given a 'bit' too much info on how to defeat the system, and I will no further assist in any way, to put into print, a way to make it easier for someone outside to have a means of unsecuring our bikes. They have security measures designed in for a reason.
I've already gotten some p/m's about this subject, and I want to assure those people that I will not divulge a means to circumvent the security...

the company that was asked about on EBay, that tells you to "pay us, and we will tell you how to contact us for sending your ignition switch" has totally broken the Intent of owners expecting the security of the bike, and is rendering something for cash, which I can pretty much say is the same as "send me an ignition switch, and $$$, and I'll send it back to you, with a chip, that you can use to start your bike"... in essence, they are saying "here, use this, unplug the switch on the bike, and plug this one in it's place.. then, steal a bike, pull the ignition switch, and install the one I programmed" and it will run...

do you wan't people like that in this world? I don't....

so, in response, again;
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F123052245194

Does this look good?

all I can say is contact them, send them your credit card money, and your ignition switch, and report back when the bike is running...

I find that whole scenario as "contributing to a criminal activity" as it violates all we surmise as honest business, here in the USA, and if it sits well with you, so be it.

best of luck.

MOD's:

I respectfully request this thread be locked down now.
ALL of the scenarios, and solutions for the o/p's issue have been discussed,AND DISCLOSED, and in the best of interest of every C14 owner, no further discussion on this subject, or the manner's to render it a non secure bike, should be continued, or acceptable for public knowledge.
PLEASE.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:22:42 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2018, 10:58:08 pm »
I have bought an emergency fob it should be here soon. I called a local Kawasaki dealer and they said they could program it for $58 with the bike there.
https://www.beavertonmotorcycles.com/

That seems like the best option. I will check back with them after it arrives and the bike is ready to ride home.
I mounted the headlight. I still need to mount the gauge cluster and some front flashers and right handlebar. It should be good to ride then

Thanks for all the help.
Rubber side down! 
Lee

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2018, 11:49:47 pm »
I sincerely hope it works, but I can tell you right now, without a current working fob to turn the ignition switch to “on”, it probably won’t work. But please, if it does, report back and prove me and MOB wrong. I sincerely pray we are. Lol