Author Topic: KIPASS died on road trip IMMOBLIZER ERROR  (Read 1683 times)

Offline 1gopokes1

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
KIPASS died on road trip IMMOBLIZER ERROR
« on: August 30, 2014, 11:03:08 pm »
I took a little road trip around CO, UT. TD WA and Wyo the past 2 weeks with some buddies

We were just headed out of Boise ID on a Sunday AM after staying at my cousins. I went over a residential speed bumps and the C-14 shut down???  At restart I get the "Immoblizer error" ????

Bike will not restart...I think AH !! the FOB is bad... I get out my spare FOB I am carrying in my tank bag sans battery, install a new battery ..and NO GO.....

IT is Sunday with a heavy bike loaded for touring 2 miles downhill from my cousins, who have already said their (good riddance) good byes and left for the day. No bike shops / dealers will be open until Tues.

OK what now????......... some swearing and cussing!!!! So we decide disconnecting the battery will do no harm.  We unload the bike, remove the battery panel and disconnect the ground. Wait a few minutes, reconnect ground  and all is well...yeah. but now for the rest of the trip I am wondering...will it happen again????. My buddies are giving me crap  because they are ridding an 81 Honda and a 2000 Moto Guzzi with no issues

SO what gives??????

Question # 2...battery ground seems like a bad design...screwing a steel bolt into the alloy frame is a recipe for stripped threads. Has anyone replaced the bolt with a stud and then one would taking a steel nut off a steel stud....or maybe a ground wire disconnect???

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:17:36 am by norm-9688, Reason: edit to remove foul language »

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10400
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: KIPASS F---ed up on road trip IMMOBLIZER ERROR
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:19:55 am »
Most likely a poor ground connection is your problem.  You should check the ground connection on the battery itself.  It seems that most people that have had problems have had the problem at the battery side, not the chassis side.

This is most likely not a kipass problem.

Fred
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:24:17 am by Fred_Wa2gzw »

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
Re: KIPASS died on road trip IMMOBLIZER ERROR
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 12:33:50 pm »
I'm also going to suggest that this problem has nothing to do with KiPass and everything to do with poor battery connections.  I suppose you could  replace the bolt with a stud and then use a nut on it, but if you're careful and observe the proper torque you shouldn't have an issue.  My grandfather taught me an important life lesson on threading bolts, he always said "you can't strip threads with your fingers."
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Jorge

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:09:09 pm »
If gou think about it, many cars are grounddd the same way: steel bolt into aluminum engine block or cylinder head.
If you are concerned maybe remove bolt and put in good anti-seize in the joint. Should help reduce  corrosion and make it easier to remove in the future.
Steel bolt into aluminum is even used in big trucks to connect ground cable to the alternator, and some of those big boys have alternators of 250A or more.
Jorge

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 04:27:57 pm »
I have Brian,s Kipass MOD and it is very easy to get to without dismounting the bike.  Now if you do have a loose ground then Brians Mod may not be the solution.

Offline 1gopokes1

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:06:17 am »
it has never done it again so??????

thanks for the suggestions

checked it today

Idaho was beautiful

Offline hotshoetom

• What me worry? :)
  • Bicycle
  • keep the gears turning...
  • COG#: 11760
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 12:20:34 am »
I have Brian,s Kipass MOD and it is very easy to get to without dismounting the bike.  Now if you do have a loose ground then Brians Mod may not be the solution.

Please tell me about the KIPASS mod. I am new here and know nothing much yet about this bike having just bought one less than a month ago. I know even less about how to deal with some of the issues that crop up.

thanks in advance...

Tom
Its better to be in the car wishing u were on the bike than the other way around...adapted words of wisdom from my flight instructor.

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: forum
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:54:51 am by TJ »