Author Topic: KIPASS Service  (Read 526 times)

Offline Eric

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
KIPASS Service
« on: June 05, 2019, 05:58:10 pm »
So, I lost my spare passive key fob over the winter. :-[  I have a new one in hand and just called the dealer to see what it would cost to have them program my bike to see the new key.  They said figure on an hour, so $129 plus tax.  Is it really an hour job?! And, does anyone know someone close to Lincoln, NE that could do the work?
2012 Concours - My new baby!
2012 CBR1000 - mostly my son's bike, but a fun ride!
1985 V65 Sabre - died in collision with a trailer
1983 CB650 - died in a head on with a 77 thunderbird
1981 KL250 - ridden to death

Offline Texas Concours14

• Moped
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9760
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: KIPASS Service
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 08:23:36 pm »
I had to get this done years ago. It was a one hour job because the tech did not know what he was doing (first I had to convince him that it was a programmable key). When someone else showed up it took 5 minutes.
2010 Concours 14

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 11:17:44 pm »
Yes, what TC14 said.  The tech must also reprogram the passive part of the active fob immediately after doing the new passive fob.  The KDS programs prompts the tech by asking are there any more fobs to program?  KDS 'deletes' all passive fobs prior to programming new ones.

To ensure it has all been done correctly, remove the battery from the active fob and ensure both it and the new passive fob function as described in the Owners Manual.

Are you the same Eric with the C10 brake upgrade?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:27:28 pm by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Eric

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 02:22:55 am »
Nope, I never owned a C10, but contemplated a few times!

Offline Eric

• Bicycle
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 11:09:16 am »
So, programming the bike to accept a new passive FOB is different than an active one?  I'm asking because another thread that popped up today about getting the "number" back out of the system.  I read on to see that without a number you can't program the bike to recognize the FOB.  Well, the passive FOB I just purchased didn't come with a number, and if you have to "delete" all passive FOBs to add any back, how will that work since nobody knows the "number" of the passive portion of my active FOB?  Am I making any sense? :-[

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:28:58 am »
So, programming the bike to accept a new passive FOB is different than an active one?  I'm asking because another thread that popped up today about getting the "number" back out of the system.  I read on to see that without a number you can't program the bike to recognize the FOB.  Well, the passive FOB I just purchased didn't come with a number, and if you have to "delete" all passive FOBs to add any back, how will that work since nobody knows the "number" of the passive portion of my active FOB?  Am I making any sense? :-[

Here's some useful info from Kawasaki. Scroll on down to page three and start reading.

K-Tech News

http://www.zggtr.org/MGalleryItem.php?id=455
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 12:01:28 pm »
That article was published before the passive fobs were introduced.  Passive fobs (including that part of the active fob) have no number.  Programming it (all of them) is a different procedure in KDS than for new active fobs (but the passive part of any/all active fobs must be reprogrammed at the same time a new passive fob is programmed as I stated above.  The KDS operator does not delete passive fobs - KDS does that function itself in the process of adding or re-adding all passive fobs.  This procedure/step/function is not to be confused with that for active fobs which, alone, require an ID number.

As long as the new passive fob allows the key to be turned AND any actives fobs you have allow the key to be turn when placed as described in the Owners Manual with its CR2025 battery REMOVED it's all been done correctly. 

Active fobs cannot be deleted at all, ever - nor is the ID number able to be read with KDS.

EDIT.........but they can be 'disassociated' (I think that's the term KDS uses from memory) if/when a fob is lost or stolen so that it cannot be used to start the bike.  If/when found, that fob can then be 'reassociated' using KDS to enable it to work as before.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:42:31 pm by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Eric

• Bicycle
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 01:28:51 pm »
Thanks Freddy!  I was afraid I just wasted the money on the new passive FOB I just purchased. :)

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 08:35:49 pm »
After 3 separate visits to my local dealer to get the programming right I finally gave up and did it myself.  Yes, I have a KDS.  I told the owner of the shop it was a 1/2 hour job and he agreed to only bill me the half hour rate.  The reason that I went to them in the first place was because I had never done it before myself and there were no returns on electronic items.

My first hint was when I drove the bike in for the programming they asked me how to start the bike.

My last and final visit the head mechanic told me that he would not have a bike like the concours and that if it was his he would remove all that crap.  I tried to explain to him about can busses and how the modules handshake with each other so that any attempt to try to defeat them would result in a non running bike.  It was like talking to the Wall!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 08:54:50 pm »

My first hint was when I drove the bike in for the programming they asked me how to start the bike.

My last and final visit the head mechanic told me that he would not have a bike like the concours and that if it was his he would remove all that crap. I tried to explain to him about can busses and how the modules handshake with each other so that any attempt to try to defeat them would result in a non running bike.  It was like talking to the Wall!!

:)) :)) :))

and THIS... is why good dealerships die.

I would have had to nicely ask the "tech' to "come with me..." as I led him to the office of the Owner, and then asked him to ask the "owner" how to start the bike....

I think that would suffice to say the tech would be "flippin' burgers" the next day, thank goodness I have had GREAT dealerships (2) that I have utilized, for my purchase, and any warranty issues, where without a quibble, they took care of everything..... for 9 years under my GTPP/KPP extended warranties.. just recently I visited a dealership (near..? me, actually 25 miles out into BFE...only because I couldn't "trust anyone closer"), to pick up some fuel filters for my C14.. they had 13 IN STOCK... and when i talked to the "owner", I recognized him as a fellow I met back in 1975... when I bought a KX450 from a person near that place, it was the "original owner's son"... I complimented him on keeping his business alive, and well, for so many years, he actually recognized me also... and thanked me for the kind words... not too many Kaw dealers can boast 40+ years of continuous service.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...