Author Topic: Kipass stove knob spins 360°  (Read 291 times)

Offline Racerchk

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Kipass stove knob spins 360°
« on: July 27, 2018, 01:28:03 pm »
Forgive me if this isn’t the right way to post this. I’ve tried searching for an answer to no avail. Recently the stove knob on my 2016 C14 has decided to just spin all the way around when heading to ON or FSS. Seems to only happen after sitting out in hot sun. I’m only owner, and “I” have never forced the knob, but who knows what happened for the year it sat on the dealer showroom. When I remove knob, I can’t spin the key in the knob, and it sure sounds/feels like the entire switch is spinning. Thanks for any help, I know one of you brainiacs has the answer, I just can’t find it.

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
Re: Kipass stove knob spins 360°
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 02:19:47 pm »
Does your bike start?

My key did the 360 degree spin when my battery died.

Offline Racerchk

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 02:57:06 pm »
Does your bike start?

My key did the 360 degree spin when my battery died.

Yup, once I get the key in the proper position. It does it when I’m going from lock to FSS, after sitting in hot sun. Both days it happened was in the 90°s out. But as my FOB is 2 years old, I’ve only owned bike about 16 months was on dealer floor for 1+ year before that, I plan on replacing FOB battery.

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 05:23:53 pm »
At least you're able to get it started. It's a known issue and if you couldn't get it started, there's a bypass method/switch people do.

Here's the threads i found that talk about what you're seeing. I had this issue till I bought a bypass switch if this ever happens again.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/help-key-will-not-turn/msg606028/#msg606028
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/kipass-activation-switch-bypass/msg286984/#msg286984

Hope this helps!
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline Staylo

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12548
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 07:45:13 pm »
Still under warranty?  Take it to the dealer.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 08:29:26 pm »
+10 on the 'take it in to dealer' to get covered under warranty thing.

I've seen maybe 3 or 4 of these occur, and pretty much you will need them to supply a new knob.

If you look closely at the perimeter of the widest part of the knob, you will see a single small hole, with an inserted roll pin. This pin holds the top and bottom sections together; inside the knob, there is a wratcheting gear wheel, and pawl, which provide the resistance from rotation, but in an event when 'forced', breaks free, to prevent permanent damage to the lock mechanism or key bending/breakage from any attempts of 'theft'. Somewhere along the line, someone (not accusing you) forced the key while in the lock, and dislocated the wratchet function. It is possible to dis assemble this for examination, but it's a bit tricky... you need to find a small thread tap, that you can thread into that rollpin CAREFULLY, and then carefully pull it straight out from the plastic, and the halves can be seperated to expose the guts.
Don't 'flex' the tap in the least, a small tap like that will snap right off, and become a bigger problem to remove.
Mind you, the hole the pin sits in is a blind hole, meaning it does not go all the way thru, and the pin is pressed in firmly to the base of the hole.

hope this helps, and explains the issue.

in the event you need a new knob, there are 2 different 'key' codes, an 'A' key, or a "B' key... make sure the dealer is correct when ordering...

27008-0050   KEY-LOCK,BLANK,#A,MAIN SWITCH
   27008-0051   KEY-LOCK,BLANK,#B,MAIN SWITCH
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:50:06 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Racerchk

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 01:10:40 am »
Man of blues thank you so much. Yes still under warranty and that’s what I was planning. But of course this issue reared it’s ugly head 6 days before I’m about to set off on a huge adventure.