Author Topic: K&N Air Filter  (Read 2358 times)

Offline David C-14

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 8180
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
K&N Air Filter
« on: March 15, 2009, 01:00:00 pm »
Have anyone change the original air filter for a K&N filter or any other filter by yourself? If so where I can find out how to do it.  
Jose David  Citrus Springs, Fl  2008 C-14  COG# 8180  ROK# 100025069

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
K&N Air Filter
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:35:00 am »
I would think the shop manual would have basic information like this.  I am sorry it is taking so long from someone with knowledge to answer.  Here are a couple links I scammed.    BMC  http://www.bmcairfilters.com/VisModel.asp  K&N  http://www.knfilters.com/search/appsearch.aspx  ----------------------------------  South Central Area Director  Email scad@cog-online.org    <p align="left">My Photos<br
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline David C-14

• Training Wheels
K&N Air Filter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:56:00 pm »
Smithr, thank you for your imput. I am ordering the filter and then worry about how to do it. I like to work on what I can, this way I can save a few $$$. I saw all your pictures and they are great.  Are you planning on going to the National in June? If you are maybe we meet there.  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:58:00 pm by Jose_Gonzalez_FL »

Offline Colin

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'd rather be riding!
    • Facebook
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
K&N Air Filter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 02:13:00 am »
Jose     Take a look at the Tech Section, there is a section there on how to clean the air filter.     Cheers  Colin Prior  Cogmos Administrator  Lake Forest Park WA  COG#7767  
Colin Prior

Offline bob14

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 8211
  • Membership Level: Active
K&N Air Filter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 09:50:00 am »
semi easy....left side faring, drop the relay bracket open the door and there it is.I do suggest buying the shop manual .well worth the money  
Bob Mason  Albuquerque New Mexico  08 Concours 14  05 Triumph Tiger  84 GPZ1100  74  750 Kawa MachIV  71  500 Kawa MachIII

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
K&N Air Filter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 06:08:00 pm »
Personally I am not all that fond of K&N filters. While they do flow more air, it comes at the expense of a decrease in filtration, which means they will let more dirt into your engine.    I am using the OEM paper filters, and I believe that paper filters offer superior filtration ability than any other type of filter media.    It is also important to remember that the fuel injection system on the US model C14's have no form of feedback loop on them. So if you change the air flow, the system may not be able to effectively compensate for it, and your bike could run a bit lean as a result.    Changing the air filter is simply a matter of removing the glove box lid, the left black panel cover and left side panel, and the relay bracket, and then removing the air filter cover and pulling out the filter. It is shown on page 172 of your owners manual, and also on page 2-47 of the service manual.      
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:11:00 am by Fred_Harmon_TX »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline David C-14

• Training Wheels
K&N Air Filter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 06:37:00 pm »
Thank you to everyone that reply. Fred I think I am going to follow your advise and keep using the paper filters.  

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • COG#: 2170
K&N Air Filter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 10:09:00 pm »
There is a pretty good independent test of different filter types, including K&N, here:    http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=76      
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com