Author Topic: Lane splitting and filtering  (Read 1768 times)

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Lane splitting and filtering
« on: August 08, 2017, 03:29:34 pm »
I've noticed that a lot of folks seem timid about laneplitting/filtering on this bike with the mirror width and the bags... I'm here to tell you on my recent trip to Cali I did both in rush hour traffic in San Francisco and San Diego--with bags on, topcase, towing a Trail Tail trailer and 2up--and had zero problems. This big girl is a lot more nimble than we give her credit for sometimes. #offsoapbox ;)

Offline Warwgn

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
Re: Lane splitting and filtering
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 03:43:31 pm »
With a trailer!!! That is impressive.

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:26:44 pm »
With a trailer!!! That is impressive.

Can't say enough good about the Trail Tail rig. It's like it's not even back there, even on the Coastal Highway. Twisties and traffic, loves it all.

Offline Bilbur

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 07:28:38 pm »
When the '08 concours came out I remember reading either on Cycle World or something that Kawasaki designed the mirrors to be the same width as the side bags. So, if the mirrors clear, the bags clear.

Offline Ronnie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:36:39 pm »
When the '08 concours came out I remember reading either on Cycle World or something that Kawasaki designed the mirrors to be the same width as the side bags. So, if the mirrors clear, the bags clear.

As long as you aren't making a sharp turn.  Don't ask me how I know :-[
Ronnie

"I swear, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of  stupidity."

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:41:04 pm »
If you Lane split in Ohio people go berserk. I've tried it several times with very poor results. Some idiot the other day was hauling a load of brush to the dump. I was behind him getting off the freeway. It came to 2 Lanes and I split to get ahead of him. He started yelling at me like a crazy person. I did it another time to an old lady. She held on the horn to the entire light. Don't Lane split in Ohio. And don't take a bike to a car fight.

I miss California and their respect for motorcycles.
2008 Concours ABS 1976 KZ 900 B1   CDA#387
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 07:59:08 pm »
If you Lane split in Ohio people go berserk.

Same here in Oklahoma.  It was so refreshing to spend a few days in California.. politics and high-priced everything aside, the way motorcycles and bikers are treated makes me want to move out there.  I had to remind myself I wasn't in heaven when people were smiling and waving as I lane filtered through traffic jams. Like parting the Red Sea. Awesome.

Damn you, Oklahoma and your non-moto-friendliness!  >:(

Offline Dragoon

• proud PGR Rider and wildly handsom
  • Road Bike
  • keep your knees in the breeze , not easy on a cony
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:45:33 pm »
I think it helps quite a bit to be in a state where folks are used to it and we have a year round riding se3ason...i don't use my bags but so split lanes all the time and those mirrors are like whiskers ;)
I firmly believe that when done as per the law it is quite safe providing you don't assume anything but the worst of other drivers...dont think i am man enough to do so with a trailer, good on yah.....

Oh, I have a modulator which is gods gift to lane splitters as they always see me coming and make a hole, i guess that makes it easy for me too :))
Pardon my spelling, auto correct is my worst enama

Offline 880jedi

• Tricycle
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 10:10:04 pm »
Lane splitting is the one thing that keeps me in California. Traffic, high rent, potholes and $6.25 for my Starbucks coffee is OK as long as I don't boil over in traffic.  :)

Offline Bilbur

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 10:15:00 pm »

As long as you aren't making a sharp turn.  Don't ask me how I know :-[

lol. I won't ask but, my imagination is painting a pretty funny picture.

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 12:37:03 pm »
Lane splitting is the one thing that keeps me in California. Traffic, high rent, potholes and $6.25 for my Starbucks coffee is OK as long as I don't boil over in traffic.  :)

I'm jelly. I loved it while I was there.  Currently enjoying my 1.98/gal premium fillups here in oil country, though. :P

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 01:55:25 pm »
If you Lane split in Ohio people go berserk. I've tried it several times with very poor results. Some idiot the other day was hauling a load of brush to the dump. I was behind him getting off the freeway. It came to 2 Lanes and I split to get ahead of him. He started yelling at me like a crazy person. I did it another time to an old lady. She held on the horn to the entire light. Don't Lane split in Ohio. And don't take a bike to a car fight.

When did it become legal here in Ohio?
I never heard this.... not that it matters, I just wouldn't do it, because I don't wear enough Kevlar, and reaching into my tank bag for a Glock is awkward...
I just take "the road less travelled" with bags on, and pulling my trailer...
I don't miss californy driving, or driving in Va for that matter....
Ride safe

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 02:28:51 pm »
Ohio, lane splitting is not specifically authorized by statute, but it is not expressly defined as illegal either. I would not recommend it in Ohio as drivers are not competent. I travel regularly from Western Michigan to New Jersey including New York and Pennsylvania 60k per year and Ohio drivers are by far the rudest.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:32:19 pm by ConcoursKZ »
“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”

Offline Jorge

• Officer
  • Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9297
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 09:22:00 pm »
In the tank bag?  Rich I never thought of that - thanks :great:

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 09:43:32 pm »
In the tank bag?  Rich I never thought of that - thanks :great:

OH YEAH...
actually under the map, in the map window vestibule, held inside by the velcro flap on the Roadgear Bag top.. nice place...
oh, and actually it aint a Glock, never liked them.. sold my last one... hate having a round chambered on a semi, unless its on my side.... we (my gun toting pals) just joke about "Glock in the tankbag"
the spot is reserved for the Dan Wesson .44 mag, w/ 4"bbl... and a speed loader sits nicely next to it...
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

now, not jokingly said, :-X
never brandish a firearm... to attempt to deter someone. :o
it's only for life or death that it appears, ever.... ;)

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 10:06:02 pm »
The left side chest pocket on most motorcycle riding jackets is perfect to fit a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard. Or a Smith & Wesson Model 36. My detonics is too heavy for that pocket.

Offline Deepsea

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 12:59:41 am »
:rotflmao:

now, not jokingly said, :-X
never brandish a firearm... to attempt to deter someone. :o
it's only for life or death that it appears, ever.... ;)

Another way to think of this is "If you're not ready to put a bullet into another human, don't pull it out."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:13:58 am by Deepsea »
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 01:04:43 am »
thus my post.

you cant undoo it.

be safe, ride safe,

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 10:30:40 am »
. I travel regularly from Western Michigan to New Jersey including New York and Pennsylvania 60k per year and Ohio drivers are by far the rudest.

Wonder if part of that is because the OSP are the biggest pricks of any state I have been in thus far.

Offline OKC14

• Mini Bike
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 11:45:11 am »
. I travel regularly from Western Michigan to New Jersey including New York and Pennsylvania 60k per year and Ohio drivers are by far the rudest.

Wonder if part of that is because the OSP are the biggest pricks of any state I have been in thus far.

When travelling east from Oklahoma I come up with excuses NOT to drive through Ohio. They're terrible.

Offline ConcoursKZ

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 12:27:11 pm »

The OSP might be a small part of the reason. I have service warehouse locations in 9 states. Which means I drive and deal with the public in all the areas. Ohio by far has the most unhappy people in the entire region. Also the worst drivers.

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 06:43:33 pm »

The OSP might be a small part of the reason. I have service warehouse locations in 9 states. Which means I drive and deal with the public in all the areas. Ohio by far has the most unhappy people in the entire region. Also the worst drivers.

Funny as I sit here and think of the drivers in Auglize, Preble, Darke and similar counties compared to their neighbors across the OH/IN line in Jay, Randolph, Adams and Wayne Counties. Plenty of stupid to go round but the Ohio drivers across the border are more maddening.

Offline Ingramite

• Tricycle
  • The Texas Hill Country
  • COG#: 12653
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 08:12:24 pm »
I have similar thoughts of anything north of Interstate 10, just not much use for it....any of it.

My EDC for the past year or so is a Ruger SP101 with 125gr. .357 hollow points.
Duluth Trading cargo pants right front pocket has a little muzzle sleeve sewn into the bottom, perfect for keeping lint out of the barrel. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:16:34 pm by Ingramite, Reason: spelling error »
Ride Like Your Life Depends On It
Certified Smith Systems Instructor

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 09:44:48 pm »
First of all , I don't know how you folks deal with lots of traffic everyday :truce:

I would hate to live in a area so busy as I would have to lane split , thou it would be a nice option.

Since  I have never lived in a area where it is legal  it's a bit foreign ,

some folks around here would likely cut you off out of jealousy.

She is nimble.
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 10:03:43 pm »

I have only lane split one time in my life in California, and I watched the people looking in their mirrors and moving to the center of the lane, gave me no respect!