Author Topic: Leak along shaft drive, probably not final drive, but...  (Read 437 times)

Offline Bugnut

• Moped
  • The Dude abides.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9946
  • Membership Level: Active
Leak along shaft drive, probably not final drive, but...
« on: April 30, 2018, 12:44:09 pm »
I just got home from rally in Tenn. and noticed oil not below the rim/final drive area, but the joint before the final drive. At the spot where the driveline articulates. Certainly final drive 90wt smell - pew! Anyone had any leaks of the shaft forward of the final drive? Any links to posts on removal/replacement/repair of the seals before the final drive? Been searching here for more info on this type of leak but not much more than the final drive leaks and issues with greasing the splines.

For knowledge base, '08 with 105k miles. No noticeable issues with ride-ability, but if I had ridden any further, the wet rear tire would have been an issue! Bike not ridden any harder on this trip than any other.

I'll try to get pics up soon of where it looks to be coming from. Again NOT seeming to be final drive, but somewhere along the shaft. I'll be pulling things apart this week. Timing not great as I have another trip over in to the mountains, fortunately not with the bike, but by Mini. So time is short this week to peek under her skirt.  :o

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Offline Syxxphive

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12672
Re: Leak along shaft drive, probably not final drive, but...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 01:40:33 pm »
There’s a little o-ring inside the sliding portion of the shaft. Probably just wore out. Check out this vid from Steve Sefsick.

https://youtu.be/r213hax4D9o

Offline Bugnut

• Moped
  • The Dude abides.
  • COG#: 9946
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 12:29:54 am »
Finally got some pics of the minor mess.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZUrbP95HhY5YR5Ys6

Nothing on the splines of the final drive. Nothing leaking anywhere near there. All oil coming out seems to be at the back, bottom of the shaft housing. Gonna be pulling off the final drive to look at the far end of the shaft this weekend.

Mike

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:10:22 pm »
3 seals in that same area, one or all may be bad, id do them all at the same time...

92055-0115 o ring on propeller shaft, ahead of small splines

92055-1025 ring behind castled retaining collar, sealing it to housing (size is 3.5 x 67.6 )

92049-0089 oil seal (I think with internal lips) seals coupling o.d. (which rotates) to inside of castled retaining collar (I think its pressed into that collar).  Some number does appear, not sure who's part it is, may be a common seal,   HTC 50 65 9
Likely that diminsionally I.d. 50mm (which would equate to the shaft diameter being sealed) x o.d. 65mm x 9mm thk, but don't have lip configuration
HTC is a seal manufacturer....might have to research this further, and post these in "common parts sticky" thread for sourcing...

My '08 is fine, but if or when, I need them, id like to source them... all we need now is the actual oring size for the prop shaft o ring...
Good luck

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline muguvian

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 12:49:09 pm »
I had 92055-0134 leak on my '08, going around the outside of the sliding joint and a drip out of the aft end of the bellows.  With the 398 ft-lb torque requirement on the bearing retainer and only a week before my trip, I elected to buy a fleabay final drive assy from a '12 since I didn't have a torque wrench capable of that nor the castellated retainer wrench.  I think it cost around $40 for a low mileage final drive versus the $4 o-ring, but I really didn't have time to work in the 100-mile round trip to the dealer for use of the special tool.

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 01:37:01 pm »
I had 92055-0134 leak on my '08, going around the outside of the sliding joint and a drip out of the aft end of the bellows.  With the 398 ft-lb torque requirement on the bearing retainer and only a week before my trip, I elected to buy a fleabay final drive assy from a '12 since I didn't have a torque wrench capable of that nor the castellated retainer wrench.  I think it cost around $40 for a low mileage final drive versus the $4 o-ring, but I really didn't have time to work in the 100-mile round trip to the dealer for use of the special tool.

398ft.lbs. torque required...wow.   Usually only see that high of torque requirement on heavy equipment.   $40 for a 12' low mileage unit was a deal and now you have your original for a spare.