Author Topic: Leaking Final drive  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Wayne_Sikorski

• Road Bike
  • ZiG14
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9250
  • Membership Level: Active
Leaking Final drive
« on: October 21, 2014, 10:42:12 pm »
 Currently 35k miles on the bike. I suppose that all mechanical assemblies will eventually require some manner of repair.

Was out for a ride on Sunday and noticed some oil on the rear wheel. It was just a few drops, but definitely gear oil. At the end of the ride, the wheel was completely streaked with oil.

I drained and filled about 2K miles ago. I do it every oil change and am positive that it was not over filled. Did a ride to West Virginia a few weeks back, 1350 miles with no sign of a leak.

Appt. made with the local dealer to have it checked out.  The winter riding season is about to begin, need to get back on the road. Luckily my extended warranty still has a couple of years left. :)
Wayne aka "CigarSki"
'10 C14 ABS - South Jersey
COG 9250

Offline JS_racer

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Leaking Final drive
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 09:47:15 am »
had the same deal here before. it was the smaller inner seal, not the bigger ginormous outer seal.
was easy to see on wheel removal, mine was wet along the stub spacer deal, in the center.
also covered under warranty, inner and outer and o ring seal as well as the needle bearing

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:52:58 am »
had the same deal here before. it was the smaller inner seal, not the bigger ginormous outer seal.

Had the same seal fail on my 08 C14 as well. Had no warranty on the bike so I changed it out myself...and yes, the bearing, etc will need to be changed as well (if it is the same smaller "inner" seal).

Rem ;D
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Jim

• Scooter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 02:14:17 pm »
I had the same problem on my '08 when it had far fewer miles than you, and I was out of warranty. The dealer replaced the seal that they thought was leaking and guess what? It was the other one that was bad and they had to do it again. Thankfully they didn't charge me labor again since it was their fault that it wasn't fixed.

Offline Rembrant

• Low Brow Realist
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:52:01 pm »
I had the same problem on my '08 when it had far fewer miles than you, and I was out of warranty. The dealer replaced the seal that they thought was leaking and guess what? It was the other one that was bad and they had to do it again. Thankfully they didn't charge me labor again since it was their fault that it wasn't fixed.

I did the exact same thing myself. I cleaned all the oil up and got everything dried out, and then changed the big outer lip seal next to the spline drive. A few days later, it started to leak again...lol. That's when I realized that the seal I changed was not the culprit. I pulled it all apart and changed the inner seal and bearing, etc. and it never leaked again after that.

Rem ;D
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Wayne_Sikorski

• Road Bike
  • ZiG14
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:46:04 pm »
Rode to the dealer his afternoon, the leak got worse on the way there. Tire and wheel got messy. On a good note, the Kawasaki Rep. will be there to look at another bike and they are going to throw mine into the fray. Might get a quicker warranty service authorization.  :great:
Wayne aka "CigarSki"
COG 9250

Offline Fred_Harmon_TX

• COG Technical Editor
  • Industry Member
  • Iron Butt
    • Angel Ride Videos
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 2170
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:34:20 pm »
Fred H.

Thanksgiving Sale in Effect now!  Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos 
http://www.angelridevideos.com

Offline Wayne_Sikorski

• Road Bike
  • ZiG14
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:37:57 pm »
Thanks for the pics, Fred.

Dropped off Thursday, no word from the Kawi dealer as yet, I will be calling them later today, to find out what's going on with the repair.
Wayne aka "CigarSki"
COG 9250

Offline jwolffie

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10509
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 04:23:10 pm »
After the repair is done remove the large c clip and take the plate off of the inside of the rear rim where the rubber cushions are. The wheel will capture and store some of the lube and it will slowly leak out more gear lube onto the rim. The dealer didn't do that so when I went back with a leak after they resealed it Kawasaki had them give me a new differential to cure the leak because it is still under warranty. It still had a leak after the new differential was installed so I pulled the wheel myself and found about 2 ounces of oil in the rear wheel, I cleaned it out and problem solved. I hate going to the dealer! It also took them 3 trips to the dealer to program in new passive FOB's, they let me do it myself and show them how to do it on the third trip in so I got that done for free. They should have paid me to do it.

Offline Wayne_Sikorski

• Road Bike
  • ZiG14
UPDATE: Leaking Final drive
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 03:13:05 pm »
UPDATE.

Got the bike back today, and, I have an oil free wheel and tire. Glad that I got the extended warranty.

Part replaced:

92033-1074, Snap Ring
92046-1169, Needle Bearing
92049-1025, Oil Seal
92049-1280, Oil Seal
92055-3771, O-Ring

Smaller inner seal and larger outer seal replaced. Dealer stated that it was the larger of the two that was leaking, but replaced both.
Wayne aka "CigarSki"
COG 9250

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 03:12:59 pm »
I looked down at the rear wheel, and drats the dreaded final drive is spritzing the rear wheel with fluid. I obviously found this older thread and thanks for listing the part numbers Wayne!  :great: I purchased the third extension of the warranty for my 2011, so I’m covered until July of 2020. This is the very first mechanical issue on this motorcycle in 61,100 miles so no complaints. The mechanic doing the warranty work has done this same repair before, and he owns and loves the C-14, so I think it’s in good hands. I’ll post back with what they find. I encouraged them to do the same full repair that Wayne had done to his 2010.
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2018, 07:52:35 pm »
gotta love that extended KPP don't ya?
 :great: :great: :great: :great:

it just paid for itself right there.... :beerchug:

(do us a favor, ask them to provide a figure, when done, of how much this would have costed had you paid out of pocket... and next time someone says..."extended waaarranty.... we don' neeeeed no steeeenkeen'g extended warranty...." you can toss that one in for giggles) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: :beerchug:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Wayne_Sikorski

• Road Bike
  • ZiG14
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 09:56:02 pm »
My KPP has paid for the final drive seals, the infamous valve cover leak where kawi had them replace all of the gaskets and O-rings, and most recently, fork seals. Might need to get the clutch slave cylinder replaced next. Got some cutch issues.
Wayne aka "CigarSki"
COG 9250

Offline SWOJO95

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 190
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 12:08:49 am »
My final drive started leaking on the way back from the National, but didn't really let loose until I was close to home. The next day after getting home, there was a small puddle running down from the tire. I have the extended warranty, but it's over a hundred miles to the nearest dealer that I'll let touch the bike. I called them and asked if I could just bring the final drive, off the bike, in my car, but they told me they needed the bike. I then asked them if they could order the parts, so I could ride down and get it fixed the same day, but was told they couldn't order the parts until they see the bike and sending them pictures won't work.  Damn, that's 2 trips over 100 miles one way to get it fixed. I don't know if it is even safe to ride like that?

I will probably just tackle this myself. I looked up the parts list posted above and it looks like I can get the parts for about $67 from Partzilla. I don't have a collet the correct size for the bearing, so I guess I'll need to order that also. Sure wish I had a decent dealer close to home.  There is one about 40 miles from here, but they will never touch anything of mine again.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2018, 06:21:40 pm »
that's a real bummer in all aspects, for sure.. :'(

Offline RICH59

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12505
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2018, 05:15:36 pm »
Hey 4Bikes,

What's the name of your dealer?  I'd like to give my bike to a C14 owner if I ever needed service.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 06:57:14 pm »
Hey 4Bikes,

What's the name of your dealer?  I'd like to give my bike to a C14 owner if I ever needed service.
Good question.  I had purchased four new Kawasaki's from Trans Am in Littiz PA over a period of 39 years. All of their techs were there for a long time and they also sold and serviced BWW's so they would have been really good at servicing final drives.   :rotflmao: Joe and Charlie retired and sold the business to a local car dealer.  Their son apparently raced dirt bikes and wanted to run the business. I think he was gone in a few weeks, and now that place is closed down.  So my new Kawasaki dealership that I'm test riding is Pat and Son Service Center just north of Anneville, PA.  I hope they do a good job ::)

https://www.patandsonservicecenter.com/
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 10:53:00 pm »
I got the bike home today after 4 business days in the shop and it’s all good news. They replaced the same parts as Wayne posted and said it was primarily leaking from the inner seal. The warranty was perfect, and they said without it, it would have cost  about $250.00.   I didn’t sign anything before or after, no paperwork, and they said everything was recorded on-line.  Winner :beerchug:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 11:16:20 pm »
I got the bike home today after 4 business days in the shop and it’s all good news. They replaced the same parts as Wayne posted and said it was primarily leaking from the inner seal. The warranty was perfect, and they said without it, it would have cost  about $250.00.   I didn’t sign anything before or after, no paperwork, and they said everything was recorded on-line.  Winner :beerchug:
Man, I have a hard time believing that cost figure... but hey, it's fixed...

Offline Wayne_Sikorski

• Road Bike
  • ZiG14
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 12:00:17 am »
 :great:  :motonoises:

Couple of hours worth of labor adds up.
Wayne aka "CigarSki"