Author Topic: Leaving cell phone plugged into bike?  (Read 641 times)

Offline Kaneman82

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Leaving cell phone plugged into bike?
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:06:07 pm »
I'm using a Galaxy Note 4 solely to link to my radar detector and provide visual and audio alerts. The phone has no service, but works for this task. I need it to stay charged and if it sits too long without power it will die. I'd like to have it plugged into a 12v that is on when the bike is off so it's always charged.
How long can I do this without draining the bike's battery?

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Leaving cell phone plugged into bike?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 12:30:16 am »
If the phone has no service, then why not turn it off when not using it?
Even if the Note 4 battery were to drain, as soon as you fire up the bike, radar, and Note 4, it would charge right back up, would it not?

I suppose if I was to put in on my C14 battery, I would use a slow 1.2 A charger to keep the Note 4 topped off.
The only way to know for sure what the drain would be would be to stick an ammeter on it to determine the current draw.
As the Note 4 tops off, the charge current would reduce down to a trickle, but not sure what the current drain is from the 12V to 5V adapter.

Without measurments, it would be a wild guess.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? My Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book might just be the thing to spread holiday cheer!

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 03:58:58 am »
The Neutrino Black Box will allow circuits to remain powered for up to 4 hours after the ignition is turned off or until the battery voltage reaches a programable set point. It's not cheep but so far has worked very well for me and does a whole lot more including modulate the headlights, flash on deceleration the brake light plus control hearted gear automatically depending on ambient temp.
https://www.neutrinoblackbox.com
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Victor Salisbury

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 3673
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 12:25:27 pm »
Not a direct reference and no hard voltage numbers, but with my C10, when camping, every night I could plug in the Samsung phone and my Sena unit to charge up. Did not appear to noticeably drain the battery, the bike would fire up like normal in the morning. 
Vic Salisbury
COG #3673 
'97 Connie "The Grinch" 
Sarasota, FL 
www.cog-online.org 
Stupid Hurts! Wearing protective gear is much more comfortable.

Offline S Smith

• Northeast Area Director
  • Officer
  • I Need a Life
    • COG Northeast Area Home Page
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 3184
  • Membership Level: Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:59:39 pm »
From a recent experience...  in my tank bag is a +5V 1.2A cigarette plug type charger that powers/charges a small portable (USB) battery pack that is used to filter power and charge cell phone. The phone was removed, but I forgot to unplug the charger and left the bike for about 5 hours. The bike battery was sufficiently discharged that it would not start.  :banghead:

| Steve Smith | COG #3184 | MSF/CONREP RC |

There is more to be gained by members raising hands saying "I'll do that" instead of pointing fingers saying "nobody's doing that."

Offline Kaneman82

• Big Wheels
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 01:38:53 pm »
If the phone has no service, then why not turn in it off when not using it?
Even if the Note 4 battery were to drain, as soon as you fire up the bike, radar, and Note 4, it would charge right back up, would it not?

I suppose if I was to put in on my C14 battery, I would use a slow 1.2 A charger to keep the Note 4 topped off.
The only way to know for sure what the drain would be would be to stick an ammeter on it to determine the current draw.
As the Note 4 tops off, the charge current would reduce down to a trickle, but not sure what the current drain is from the 12V to 5V adapter.

Without measurments, it would be a wild guess.

Well if I turn it off after every ride then I have to wait for it to boot up, start the app, connect to the radar detector, etc. Just a big pain in the butt for daily commuting. And if it does completely it'll take even longer to get enough juice to boot up.

Offline antibus

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 11339
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 02:11:34 pm »
+1 on the Neutrino Black Box. It has been a game changer for me. Items can be placed in my top box to charge without worry of my battery being drained.
CDA #0542

Offline Roger B

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 03:30:14 pm »
Could you substitute a rechargeable battery pack for bike recharging your phone?   Some of these battery packs have capacity to recharge a phone multiple times before needing a recharge themselves.   They aren't very expensive either.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 03:48:14 pm »
Could you substitute a rechargeable battery pack for bike recharging your phone?   Some of these battery packs have capacity to recharge a phone multiple times before needing a recharge themselves.   They aren't very expensive either.
That is what I use.. basically a battery hooked to the accessories outlet so when the bike is turned off there is no chance of draining the bikes battery yet the cell phone get charged up.
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 04:05:49 pm »

Well if I turn it off after every ride then I have to wait for it to boot up, start the app, connect to the radar detector, etc. Just a big pain in the butt for daily commuting. And if it does completely it'll take even longer to get enough juice to boot up.

Does this mean you are parking the bike at home? If so, simply put your bike on a Battery Tender, and leave the phone on and plugged in. Either that, or unplug the phone from the bike, and plug it in to another source. If you aren't at home, plug it in to a battery pack.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 04:41:15 pm »
Can a small outdoors solar panel provide sufficient Amps/Volts to sustain smartphone functionality?
I am doubtful C14, or any other motorcycle battery has enough reserve capacity to be use as power source without alternator re-charging it.

Cheers...

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 05:37:39 pm »
Here is a thought.   Buy a bigger usb power pack to plug the phone into.  Then plug the power pack into a usb charger connected to the bike.  It may power the phone fine for hours when stopped and when you start the bike it should recharge the pack. 
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »
Can a small outdoors solar panel provide sufficient Amps/Volts to sustain smartphone functionality?
I am doubtful C14, or any other motorcycle battery has enough reserve capacity to be use as power source without alternator re-charging it.

Cheers...

I have a 4 panel (when unfolded) solar charger that is about the size of a Kindle (when folded) that does just that! I also have a 15,000mah Anker battery pack that is the size of a small cell phone that can also be used to keep a phone charged.

I have used the solar charger on the road also to top off a SENA unit.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 06:07:15 pm »

Cheers...

I have a 4 panel (when unfolded) solar charger that is about the size of a Kindle (when folded) that does just that! I also have a 15,000mah Anker battery pack that is the size of a small cell phone that can also be used to keep a phone charged.

I have used the solar charger on the road also to top off a SENA unit.

I like the sound of that. What make and model solar panel and Anker is that?  :great:
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? My Road Rash Motorcycle Cartoon Book might just be the thing to spread holiday cheer!

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 06:31:36 pm »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Search Amazon Anker for the battery pack. Anker is my favorite brand. I also got a voltage/amp display unit that you can use to see which USB cables work the best, I found a lot of my cables would only flow .5 amp no matter what the power source. So now I have all Anker cables and they can do 2 amps easily so your devices charge fast!!!

Anker is my favorite brand BTW. I even use their 5 port IQ wall charger when stopped at motels.

search Amazon for the folding solar chargers, there are a ton of brands. Using that voltage and amp meter the solar charger puts out 5 volts and almost 2 amps in full sun.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Charger-Anker-PowerCore-20100mAh/dp/B00X5RV14Y/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1525807721&sr=8-7&keywords=anker+charger

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012YUJJM8/ref=sxbs_zg_dy_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1040883202413797793&pd_rd_wg=WIUAW&pf_rd_r=XYH7E0BJP4VRJM4Q1G47&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B012YUJJM8&pd_rd_w=cgoLI&pf_rd_i=solar+charger+for+cell+phone&pd_rd_r=2324507b-4c72-40a5-bebf-236d840d7e4e&ie=UTF8&qid=1525807773&sr=2
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.