Author Topic: LED headlights - Yes or No?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: LED headlights - Yes or No?
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 05:50:42 pm »
A quick search yielded:

Lumens = a unit of brightness

Color Temperature = a way to describe the appearance of the light, expressed in degrees Kelvin on a 1000 to 10000 scale

As you move up the color temperature scale the color composition of the light moves from reddish to blueish. Right around 6000K is supposed to be the most pure white.

The bulbs in the link Ted posted are rated at 147000 lumens which is an insane amount of light. They also consume nearly 1000W of power......

For purposes of perspective, standard halogen bulbs draw ~ 45W/65W Low/High beam and put out 700/1200 lumens Low/High beam.

:D

so, please explain how these can be utilized, on a motorcycle, that produces 14v DC, power, and mediocre ampacity, when the lamp supposidly (by the laws of electric current) requires 714 amps of power....
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

hint; transformers.... low current draw, high current output...

also
when dealing with the efficacy (yes, that is a word), of LED lighting, the figures noted, unless fully noted as to 'actual' power consumption, are representative of "comparison" of light output vs. that of incandescent technology.

having worked for GE back in the early 80's, and developing Halide lamp technology for in home use, I do understand a bit of the "measurement" confusion people have... I was going to link some stuff that really breaks this down, but instead found a very simplified version that may be easier for most to understand...
here;
http://eco-revolution.com/lumens-and-light-output/
 :great:

now, as Ted's posted products are simply 'mass dumping of product' for cheap, you get what you pay for... and most times, it ain't what you would expect... as they don't have any 'data' on power consumption, and their rating are imho skewed, and hyped up...
take this product as an example of "correct" data, and as I know these people have been in this market, (read the ratings), they sell something described well, and back it up...

http://stores.advmonster.com/h4-r3-led-headlight/

it costs slightly more, but they ain't lying to ya to make you spend $13, which if you aren't happy, they hope you would write off...

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:35:05 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 11:02:27 pm »
I think Cree had a typo on their add. I think they intended to say the light was 14,700LM, not 147,000LM.
147,000LM is an unreal number....

"Regardless": I'm asking if 6000K would be better/whiter than 6500K,
   and suggesting {whatever the correct Lumen value is for their bulb} maybe it would be less glaring?

Ride safe, Ted

Lastly, I agree, ya get what you pay for, but maybe, "just maybe",,, this is a good one?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 11:34:11 pm by connie_rider »
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again!!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 11:32:13 pm »
6000k-6500k color is so tough for (your and my old) eyes to differentiate, that it's not a case of better or worse, in reality when the lights are being operated, what you see reflected from the road, and also the roadside (where massive amounts of the UV spectrum are "swallowed" by the vegetation) makes little difference... once you start upping to 7000 or above, you start seeing "blues" in the light reflection, and then after that it becomes more Violet...
pretty much the 6500-6000 range is the most "usable" visible light an eye responds to.

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 06:42:25 am »
Sadly, not many of us understand how reflectors work and how light spectrum deflected from any given surface.
OE manufactured reflectors are based on extensive R&D, designed to work in a specific light spectrum.
But we, the motorbikers-know-it-all, defy the established science of light and do what we do best. We disregard the common sense.
Also, as it has been noted in posts above, the older you get the more sensitive your retina becomes.
I can stare at those profoundly important, for nerds only, charts all year long. They will never help my eyes not to hurt when I look at maladjusted aftermarket, largely unlawful, LED or HID conversion kits know-it-all enthusiasts install in their vehicles.

Cheers...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:58:01 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline Gitbox

• Scooter
  • AREA: Northeast Area
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 12:48:05 pm »
(by the laws of electric current) requires 714 amps of power....

MOB, I think you're off by a factor of ten in your current calculation: 1000W/14V = 71.4A, not 714A.  ;)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 01:05:26 pm »
Have ever seen a motorcycle with maladjusted HID or LED headlight ? If you have, you should understand, maybe not, how painful the glare is.
Perhaps those who willfully use off-road only LED or HID cartridges in headlights will read you plea and change their minds.  But like someone stated, in a different post, thanking god for freedom of choice to do what he pleases, I doubt anyone would show empathy.

Roadkill, that's kind of a stretch, even for you.  Nowhere in the post you mention did I advocate for doing anything to negatively effect the safety of other drivers.  Whether I wear shorts, or not, only affects my safety, and my safety only.  And as for common sense, ya, really no need to go there.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 08:13:10 pm »
(by the laws of electric current) requires 714 amps of power....

MOB, I think you're off by a factor of ten in your current calculation: 1000W/14V = 71.4A, not 714A.  ;)

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

yep, my bad.... my mind was still reeling from trying to figure out where the lumen/watts figure in the other post quoted came from...
and i 'double tapped' the silly zero button...
("147000 lumens which is an insane amount of light. They also consume nearly 1000W of power......" )

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: silly me... phe' 71.4 amps.... nooooooo problem.... ::) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :D

Offline Mabupa

• mabupa
  • Tricycle
  • mabupa
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12757
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2018, 05:06:25 am »
Pretty much any chart out there will show that 4300k offers the highest lumens (light output) and the lumens start to drop as you increase kelvins. Obviously, most don’t like the yellow looking headlights, so they sacrifice some lumens (light output) to get the nicer loooking (higher kelvins) whiter/blue-ish lights. My explorer had halogen projectors that used shutters that moved up and down via the activation of solenoids when high beam was activated and produced really clean lines with a quality HID kit. I tried that on my hayabusa and it was, let’s just say, not good. I ended up opening the headlight and modifying all the internals to install 2 H1 bixenon projectors in it and that thing is like a stadium. I now have two low beams and two hi beams. All that being said, it’s still not a perfect setup on a motorcycle, because you have a perfectly horizontal sharp line when the shutter is down (low beam), so imagine what happens to that cutoff line when you lean your bike into a corner :-[. I’ve spent countless hours and thousands of dollars playing with that stuff and I’m pretty happy with the stock light output on my “new to me” Concours. It sure beats the .99c Flashlight Suzuki put on my DR650 as a headlight. :D now, LEDs I’m clueless about.

Offline Gerry

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 05:00:20 pm »
This has turned out to be a very interesting discussion. I really appreciate how generous everyone is being with your knowledge and opinions,  I've learned a ton of stuff about headlights that I didn't expect to. 
One thing I learned is that there are a lot more options than I had imagined, so I decided to make the leap to try LED's, but take the cheap way out.  I'll start with these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-HB2-9003-980W-147000LM-CREE-COB-LED-Headlight-Kit-High-Low-6000K-Bulbs-Power-/263588030843?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Thanks to connie_rider (Ted) for the link. 

Please don't stop posting suggestions, ideas, information and opinions to this thread, I'm sure others will find your input as useful as I do.

I'll report back when I have had a chance to test them.

Thanks again,

Gerry

Offline Hexrays

• Big Wheels
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 02:43:45 am »
I installed the GTR Lighting Ultra Series. They are not cheap but the quality and light pattern are outstanding. 6000K. Also put in two 6000k LED's for the positioner lights. Perfect color match.
https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr-lighting-gen-3-ultra-series-led-headlight-bulbs-h4-9003/
I urge anyone interested in after market lighting to check out Headlight Revolution. They have a YouTube channel and will offer all you want to know about aftermarket lighting options.
2014 C14, Risers, Cee Bailey Windshield, Givi Top case, GTR Ultra Series LED's, PIAA Sports Horns, Kuryakyn Passenger ISO Pegs.

Offline TRM-KS

• Bicycle
  • COG#: 10361
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 08:18:21 pm »
As usual, an excellent discussion.  Now, I'm not going to get into expensive vs. not expensive, or lumens/volts/color/amps, or blinding vs. not blinding, but...

I do have a set of Pathfinders sitting on my work bench, just arrived in the mail two days ago.  I ordered them because I recently installed a set of Gixxerhp's Switchbacks and was immediately taken with them, a huge improvement.  But I noted how weak (and yellow) the city lights and headlights appeared against the newly installed Switchbacks, so I searched on LED lamps here on the forum and read as many of the comments as I could before my eyes started to cross.  I looked at (much) cheaper options on Amazon and eBay but decided on the Pathfinders anyway.  I got the kit containing the headlamp bulbs and the city light bulbs.

For anyone out there considering going with the Pathfinder kit, be aware that they are available on eBay (Parts Giant out of Grand Rapids, Michigan) for less ($122.38) than the U.S. distributor's price ($145.00).  There may also be even cheaper kits out there that I'm unaware of.   

I haven't installed them yet but will do so this weekend.  I don't do much night riding but the increased daytime visibility should be worth the cost.  And having all the front lighting more or less match in color and intensity just makes for a cleaner appearance, IMO.       

Online Stasch

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6830
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 08:29:12 pm »
Price is considerably lower than others I have seen. {Have to wonder why?}

It appears these have cooling fans which are usually cheaper now that fanless units are available.

Could explain the lower price.
Stan Visser - COG#: 6830 - - C10 Stuff For Sale - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 10:26:26 pm »
Pretty much any chart out there will show that 4300k offers the highest lumens (light output) and the lumens start to drop as you increase kelvins. Obviously, most don’t like the yellow looking headlights, so they sacrifice some lumens (light output) to get the nicer loooking (higher kelvins) whiter/blue-ish lights.

:hum:

DING  Ding ding  ding we have a WINNER
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline JDSCO

• Road Bike
  • 2016 C14
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 10:32:40 pm »
I do have a set of Pathfinders sitting on my work bench, just arrived in the mail two days ago.

I don't do much night riding but the increased daytime visibility should be worth the cost.       

Pathfinders in my C14, H4SFS 4000L 6000k, Low beam
Pic's from my iPhone7, into the sun, don't do the actual lights justice due to exposure
LED's are quite white/bright in daylight, as is my need
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:36:31 pm by JDSCO »
"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"
Mike Tyson

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 10:43:36 pm »
Interstate 10:30 last night, I'm driving slow 73 in a 70   I see this BRIGHT light coming up behind me

As it came closer I became overwhelmed with white light, I moved over two lanes to get away from it,

Turnes out to be a new Ford pick up jacked sky stupid HIGH, LED lights upon LED bright lights, even under it.

As I looked in front of it the highway did not look very well lit up?   

I have always been a night driver a lot of race weekends 12 or more hours there and 12 hours back always night, nobody is on the road I can not stand traffic

So why do people think to blind the other drivers on the road is OK >:(

We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline gilbysan

• Bicycle
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #40 on: Today at 05:02:38 pm »
Cuda,
Good question.  Up here in the NW, Seattle specifically; we get many lifted FWD trucks that upgrade to cheap and poorly installed really bright and glaring headlights and accessory lights that blind you whichever direction they are going in.  Those done professionally (or at the least with some care by the installer) don't seem to be so hard to deal with.

I have taken to always riding with Oakley's with Transition lenses in order to blunt some of the Blue light spectrum that according to what I am told cause the blinding glare from the LEDs.  Of course mis-aiming their lights and buying the cheap headlights that do not offer a good cut line on low beam seem to be the largest cause of these operators dangerous and offensive vehicles.
Of course, then we get to the people who have too much loaded into the rear of their trucks or cars, causing their lights to point up and again cause glare, etc.
Don't know what the solution might be.  Maybe if we started enforcing the light alignment rules again?
Cheers!
Gilbysan

gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra