Author Topic: LED headlights - Yes or No?  (Read 953 times)

Offline Gerry

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
LED headlights - Yes or No?
« on: June 10, 2018, 11:14:36 pm »
I'm getting ready to replace my headlamps.  I've seen one post here that deals with upgrading to LED from conventional bulbs, but I can't find it now.  The big question for those of you who have them is: Are LED headlights worth the money?  The last time I looked into it was for my old Chevy.  That was more than a year ago and the technology was still lagging.  What is your experience with them?

Thanks in advance,

Gerry
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 03:55:11 am by Gerry »

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 11944
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: LED headlights - Yes of No?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 01:56:56 am »
I went with the Lasfit LED lights and am very satisfied with these.  See my previous post which describes more about the Lasfit.  Read all the way down to get the whole story, since I started the thread asking about a different brand.

http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/led-lights-for-c14-hikari-or-others/
2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA

Offline Diz

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12056
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:44:31 am »
my choice was an industry member; Gixerhp Switchback lighting. Easy to connect and I thought affordable. After installation, yes the switch to LEDs was worth it!

Online NukeWorker

• Bicycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 11420
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 08:09:36 pm »
I really like my headlights.  And with the aux lights, the road is lit up like daylight, even at 2 in the am.  Nobody's going to be able to say "I just didn't see him". 

When I did the vavlve inspection, I also added the LED City lights so the color matched.

copypasted from another post:

Installed Canyon Cages

Installed LED Headlights- Evitek LED Headlight Bulbs for Cars Motorcycles- Hi/Lo Beam H4 9003- Plug n Play, 40W 6500K Pure White OSRAM Chip LED Bulbs
Installed Auxiliary Lights - Auxbeam 2Pcs 4" LED Light Bar 18W LED Pod CREE Driving Lamp
Installed Wiring Harness - MICTUNING MIC-B1002 LED Light Bar Wiring Harness
Used these Mounting Brackets - House Tuning-2pcs 1.0" Tube Clamp Mount Bracket

Mounting brackets are attached to Canyon Cages.
Installed a  RadioShack 8-Position Dual-Row Barrier Strips to handle the extra connections

Also have a Deltran Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Charger Quick Disconnect that I modified and added into the setup
Added https://www.amazon.com/TechSpec-62-2500-SS-Snake-Skin-Tank/dp/B00DVOVNW6]TechSpec 62-2500-SS Snake Skin Tank Grip[/url]

2013 Concours 14 Black
Previous Bikes:
2002 V-Star 1100 Classic Silverado
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Offline Gerry

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:51:11 am »
I appreciate the quick and informative replies, everyone.  After reading all of the linked posts, I think I'm convinced that LED is the way to go.  Everyone seems to be pretty happy with their respective choices.  Now I only have to decide which product to buy.  I really like the idea of converting the headlamps and position bulbs at the same time.  One post linked to the Pathfinder kit that included both.  So I'll look further into those and make a decision.

I'll be sure to post after I've made a choice and installed them.

Thanks again, everyone.

Gerry

Online NukeWorker

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 10:43:22 am »
Just my $0.02, I went with the inexpensive Amazon lights, just to try them out. They've been working flawlessly for 2+ years.  the city lights were a couple bucks at superbrightled.com  .  Same for the Aux lights.  They were like $15 for the set. So you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot.
2013 Concours 14 Black
Previous Bikes:
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Offline Gerry

• Big Wheels
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 05:39:54 pm »
Just my $0.02, I went with the inexpensive Amazon lights, just to try them out. They've been working flawlessly for 2+ years.  the city lights were a couple bucks at superbrightled.com  .  Same for the Aux lights.  They were like $15 for the set. So you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot.

NukeWorker, do you have a link, or brand name to check out?  I'm willing to spend a little more if I get quality and a good fit for the money, but I'm also willing to save a buck if it's as good as the higher priced item.

Thanks,

Gerry

Offline Fred_Wa2gzw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 10400
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 06:05:09 pm »
I like the LED Head Lights, especially for day time riding but with that said, even the better ones have a lot of spill into areas that are not real good for night time driving.  Yes they brighten the road, Yes they make you more visible in the daylight hours,  Yes they consume less power, Yes they shine in areas that can be blinding to other drivers!!  Yes, I have tried several.

Fred
Wa2gzw

Offline P07r0457

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 09:13:53 pm »
I went with AdvMonster H4 R3 LED and really like them.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Candy Diamond Red
1986 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S - Candy Aleutian Blue and Shasta White

Online NukeWorker

• Bicycle
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 08:04:13 pm »
Gerry, Links are in the post (the blue text) click on the the text should take you to the site.

Edit: Looks like the headlights are no longer available, however everything else is. I will see if I can find a suitable substitute
Edit 2: This one looks like it'll work: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QZS4K2/ref=psdc_15736451_t1_B017M566T4
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:09:21 pm by NukeWorker »
2013 Concours 14 Black
Previous Bikes:
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 08:36:30 pm »
I would read the Q&A section in comments about these, and also the actual specs... the lights don't seem all that "electrically" efficient, and a lot of power is wasted by the fan and heat generated..

but..

no matter which ones you settle on, make sure that they are specific, and explain if the fan/heatsink/rear part of the assmbled lamp, is removable, many are, but a few aren't... and if not, getting them to work with your OEM rubber sealing boot becomes a problem... which may shorten their life...
 do some legwork and find reviews, or install instructions, on youtube even, on the specific ones you intend on purchasing
The ADV Monster model with the braided heatsink tail does have a mechanism to remove it for install IIRC. I know those are bright like the sun.. I have a freind with them, and man, when he's behind me my eyes hurt.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:43:17 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline freebird6

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 11012
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:07:34 am »
Been running the Cyclops with a Kisan Modulator since 2015  http://www.advpulse.com/adv-products/led-headlight-bulbs/

You can search ADV for the Cyclops and get a ton of feedback. The manufacturer is usually around to answer questions if you post in the threads. http://advrider.com/index.php?search/71169911/&q=cyclops&o=relevance&c[node]=34

I like the light at night but now that they have offered a 7K Lumen as opposed to the 4K lumens I bought 4 years back should see a difference. https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-100-H4-LED-headlight-bulb_p_192.html

Offline Gerry

• Big Wheels
Re: LED headlights - Yes or No?
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 04:24:37 am »
Thanks for all the additional replies, everyone.  More good information.  I appreciate it.

Gerry

Offline gilbysan

• Training Wheels
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 07:08:31 pm »
I upgraded from stock to LEDs last year and was happy with the higher quality light output being in the 5000K range or a whiter light.  The cut line on low was better than some other LEDs.  What I did not like was the high pitched fan noise.  I am partially deaf at the higher frequencies and I could hear them at intersections, etc.

Recently I changed the LEDs out for Morimoto HIDs, the 55W ballasts.  I like these even more than the LEDs, and they do not have fans on them.  The cut lines are very good and they fill in the dark spaces in front of the bike very well. 

I also run Denali DMs for visibility in the front mounted to the fork/fender mounts.  They are set to turn 5 seconds after the ignition is on and I believe that they really help oncoming drivers and those I am approaching notice me without annoying them unduly.
Of course switchback LEDs in the turn signals also help with both front and rear visibility.
Cheers!
Gilbysan

gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• How hard can it be? 。◕‿◕。
  • Road Bike
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 08:54:02 am »
Ever since I put DRL LED flood lights beneath the mirrors, I nave no need for LED head lights.
I lean towards upgrading OE bulbs with Silversatrs, but I hesitate as life span is a quarter of OE or equivalent bulb.
I have LED in my car and HI beam is not as powerful as some OE LED headlight out there. Also, beam pattern is not as defined as projector headlight in many modern cars. If C14 had projector headlights, I'd install LED cartridges.
Properly adjusted C14 headlights throw enough light down the road.   
I've been scolded by many members of this forum when I mentioned I run HI beams at night at all times. Running OFF-ROAD only LED headlight bulbs is much worse than running HI beams of an incandescent bulb. Glare is unbearable. 
But what do I know!?   

Offline Gerry

• Big Wheels
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 05:17:52 pm »
I'm receiving so many interesting points of view and observations on this post that I'm glad that I've been too busy to rush into a decision on what to buy.  I hope that others besides me who are interested in switching to LED's will see this thread and it will help with their decision making, too.

Great stuff, everyone, keep it coming.

Gerry

Offline rmills944

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 06:25:10 pm »
Here's what I found. I installed the Hikari 9600 Lumen H4 off Amazon. Great reviews and really nice hardware. I did cut the dust boot - I'll buy another if I go back, not a big deal to me.

Light - Really good, much brighter low beams compared to my silver stars. They're a nice cut off as well and show the whole road really well. The color is nice and they REALLY make signs glow.  ON the high beams I haven't used them too much yet so I can't tell you much. I think they looked fine, but there was ambient light when testing them out.

I'll take these out to the country to test against my friend's connie with an HID conversion and report back when I can do this.
If it ain't fast and won't corner... Crome it.

Offline gilbysan

• Training Wheels
  • Ride Like the Wind!
  • COG#: 12764
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 12:34:56 pm »
Gerry,

Ditto what Mr. Mills said except for the Morimoto HIDs I installed.  My son has a C14 as well with the HID Projector conversion but since it stays light until after 10PM here in NW it is hard to get out together to see how they compare.  I do prefer the HIDs over the LEDs I had before, again largely due to the fan noise on the LEDs and the light delivered by the HIDs is better on low.  Same for high beam hard to tell since I don't run them much.  They do put out a lot of light though...
Cheers!
Gilbysan
gilbysan

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.” – Yogi Berra

Online Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 04:35:45 pm »
I love the idea of the efficiency of LEDs but I have reservations about putting them in a headlight housing whose reflectors were designed to work with halogen bulbs.

I had the unpleasant experience of meeting a motorcycle on a 2 lane road that had headlights so searing bright they actually made my eyes hurt. I've never seen such an intense white light before and I'm assuming they were LEDs on hi-beam since they were so extremely bright in broad daylight conditions.

I'd like to argue that the imposition of discomfort on oncoming riders/drivers needs to factored into the decision on how many lumens to install. OEM reflectors on most motorcycles in the USA put out a light pattern that balances the needs of all parties when using standard halogen bulbs.

Hella made high quality car headlight lenses that created a pattern allowing high power lighting to increase vision/safety without blinding oncoming traffic. While we can aim motorcycle headlights I contend that the reflectors still allow too much dispersion (light going where it's not needed) and adversely affect oncoming traffic when too many lumens worth of lighting is installed. I should add that this dispersion is useful when leaned over in corners.

So...how's that for bitching??? Not bad, eh?  :great:

I'm not busting on anybody here, just sharing an idea that I think merits thought.

Sorry if this is too much hi-jacking.
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 11:46:10 pm »
In this post. http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/pesky-high-beam-indicator/ I got blasted for running HI beams.
How is running LED or HID headlight conversions that ARE NOT lawful for on-road use in many US jurisdictions different from using HI beams when you need to see the road?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:49:30 pm by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline turbojoe78_MA

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 8645
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2018, 11:36:02 am »
In this post. http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/pesky-high-beam-indicator/ I got blasted for running HI beams.
How is running LED or HID headlight conversions that ARE NOT lawful for on-road use in many US jurisdictions different from using HI beams when you need to see the road?

My guess would be that although some LED or HID conversions ARE NOT lawful, they would still be aimed for normal low beam use, which should keep most of the light out of peoples mirrors when your behind them, and out of their eyes when your coming toward them.

When running high beams, all the time, they are aimed in a way that your putting the most possible light in someone's mirror, or right in their eyes.

Apples and Oranges.
1968 Honda 160 Scrambler,  Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one,  1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo Sold / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours / 2014 Kawasaki Concours 1400  COG memb# 8645

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 12:22:54 pm »

Have you ever thought that you might blind someone with your bright lights and they may end up in your lane? As I am getting older my vision at night is not as good as it used to be, I wouldn’t want to meet you on a dark road! And you would also get my high beams back,
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:26:14 pm by FTB530 »

Offline RoadKillHeaven

• Road Bike
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 10:25:16 am »
Have ever seen a motorcycle with maladjusted HID or LED headlight ? If you have, you should understand, maybe not, how painful the glare is.
Perhaps those who willfully use off-road only LED or HID cartridges in headlights will read you plea and change their minds.  But like someone stated, in a different post, thanking god for freedom of choice to do what he pleases, I doubt anyone would show empathy.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:32:32 am by RoadKillHeaven »

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:58:18 pm »
In another discussion, m in sc posted these LED's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-HB2-9003-980W-147000LM-CREE-COB-LED-Headlight-Kit-High-Low-6000K-Bulbs-Power-/263588030843?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Price is considerably lower than others I have seen. {Have to wonder why?}
May answer your question LED headlights - Yes or No?

NOTE: These are 6000K 147000LM {$12.95} and others seem to be 6500K 18,456LM {approx. $89.95}..
So maybe? They are better than stock, but not as glaring as RoadKillHeaven brings up?

How about the lighting experts answer if 6000K vs 6500K is too much difference, and is it the correct spectrum?

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Online Brooke_Benfield_OR

• Moped
  • COG#: 2185
« Reply #24 on: Today at 04:49:10 pm »
A quick search yielded:

Lumens = a unit of brightness

Color Temperature = a way to describe the appearance of the light, expressed in degrees Kelvin on a 1000 to 10000 scale

As you move up the color temperature scale the color composition of the light moves from reddish to blueish. Right around 6000K is supposed to be the most pure white.

The bulbs in the link Ted posted are rated at 147000 lumens which is an insane amount of light. They also consume nearly 1000W of power......

For purposes of perspective, standard halogen bulbs draw ~ 45W/65W Low/High beam and put out 700/1200 lumens Low/High beam.
Brooke Benfield  2013 FJR1300  COG #2185