Author Topic: LEDs  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
LEDs
« on: February 19, 2018, 02:04:57 pm »
I've got all the body work off of my Concours for my valve adjustment (inspection performed, and shims on order).  My bulbs are all original (2009) and I know one will burn out as soon as I put the bike back together. >:(  So I'm going to replace them all while the access is good.  I'd like to go with LEDs.

Amazon is a crapshoot with how many different brands they sell.

I was strongly considering Pathfinder for the headlights / city lights...  But a blurb on their site about how they reserve the right to send out different parts than what are pictured...  Well, it doesn't sit well with me.  The Pathfinders are already at a premium pricepoint, and I'd be willing to spend the money if I got a great product that was an easy install into my Concours...  But I'd hate to spend the money for the same Chinese product that Amazon sells for less.

I've seen www.superbrightleds.com mentioned on COG, a few times.  Do they make their own bulbs?  Or resale others?  Any complaints with their products?

Any other vendors I should consider?

Also, do I need any resistors or a new flasher relay?  I want the turn signals to maintain a "normal" cadence.  No fast-flashing!

I'd like to replace everything...

Front Turn Signals
Headlights
City Lights
License Plate
Rear Turn Signals

Thanks!

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
Re: LEDs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 02:50:04 pm »
I replaced all mine from Superbrite LED's. however the headlights are the Evitec's from Amazon in the H4 flavor. At less than 60 bucks, a hell of a deal. And they work perfectly! Bright, intact low/high beam pattern.

Be cautions on using an LED in the license plate housing, they burn out quickly and will even melt the clear plastic lens cover. Must be the tight enclosed space and they get hot and burn out. I went back to incandescent.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:46:44 pm »

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:02:24 pm »
Okay, did some more searching, and the H4 R3 LEDs from AdvMonster seem to get overwhelmingly positive reviews.  I'm going to try them!

Any ideas on the need for a new relay to prevent fast-flashing on the turn signals?

Offline KnoxSwift

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11037
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 04:05:46 pm »
 :popcorn:

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:06:58 pm »

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 04:33:25 pm »
Okay, did some more searching, and the H4 R3 LEDs from AdvMonster seem to get overwhelmingly positive reviews.  I'm going to try them!

Any ideas on the need for a new relay to prevent fast-flashing on the turn signals?

I tried the ADV ones, they are in a box now. The color temp was very dim, not the 5K that was on the box. ADV at the time said I had low voltage to the LED's, but LEDS have a huge voltage range. I took them out and put in the Evitec's. Much better. Plus the EVI's are 1/2 the cost and don't have those huge heat sinks to deal with.

I do have H7 ADV's in the my KLR and they are right color 5K+ and work fine. Not the H4's in the connie

Flasher relay from Superbright, they have one called the "flat" and is plug and play
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline KnoxSwift

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11037
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 04:55:57 pm »
Popcorn just means I'm waiting to hear your resluts...LOL!

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 05:12:05 pm »
Okay, well I ordered these...  I'll let you know how it goes:

2x AdvMonster H4 R3 LED Headlight
2x 194-NW5-CBT: 194 CAN Bus LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Retrofit - Natural White
4x BAU15S-A18-T: 7507 (PY21W) LED Bulb - 18 SMD LED Tower - BAU15S Retrofit - Amber
1x 67-W15: 67 LED Bulb - 15 LED Forward Firing Cluster - BA15S Retrofit - Natural White
1x LF1-S-FLAT: Electronic LED Flasher Relays for Motorcycle - Universal Flat Motorcycle Flasher

gpd323: I saw that you didn't have a good experience with the AdvMonster headlights.  I tried to find the Evitek's but they seem to be $109.99, now.  As frustrating as it must be, for you, I'm hoping that you just got a bad set.  There seem to be a lot of positive reviews about the H4 R3's, and they're only $90 so I decided to take a risk ordering them.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 05:37:39 pm »
thats the complete LED list for sure. Same I think that I used. Just keep an eye on the plate light, mine burned out fairly fast and melted the lens.

Here is one interesting tidbit. If you leave a turn signal on when you shut the bike off using the stove top key, the LED's will continue to flash and cycle the dash at about 1 second intervals. I discovered this and have had it happen a few times when I forgot to turn the signals off. No damage but the cycling of the IG and signals is not normal.
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 05:00:34 am »
I got my LEDs installed, today.  I think they look great.  If I could change anything, I wish the 194s in the city light position were a slightly higher color temperature to better match the headlights...  But that is me nitpicking.  I rode over to my parents house, tonight, and the LED headlamps are fantastic.  They're not as bright as the LEDs in my Acura MDX...  But they are a definite improvement over the Philips halogens that I had, before.

I installed some aluminum HVAC tape in the rear license plate housing to hopefully insulate it, a bit.  The LED felt cooler than the incandescent bulb, when on.  Even so, I'll keep an eye on it.

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 04:34:14 pm »
Good to hear.

I also used the reflective in the housing to reflect the light a bit more toward the plate
Greg Downing
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline NinjaBreadMan

• Moped
  • COG#: 11944
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 07:21:31 pm »
I went with the Lasfit, and am very happy with these.  Link below has more detail about the Lasfit, if you scroll all the way to the bottom:
http://forum.cog-online.org/accessories-c14/led-lights-for-c14-hikari-or-others/

2016 Gray C14
previous bikes 2006 C10, 1977 Z1000
Jet Ski Ultra 300X & ST-15F
Lake Stevens, WA