Author Topic: let my warranty expire today...  (Read 1641 times)

Offline sininja

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: let my warranty expire today...
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 04:16:04 pm »
I would consider that a very rare problem.  I'm confident my mechanic can fix with used parts for much less if it gets to that point.

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11153
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 04:46:52 pm »
I would consider that a very rare problem.  I'm confident my mechanic can fix with used parts for much less if it gets to that point.

Yeah? Well someone just posted on the COG FaceBook page the same thing happened to them on a 2015. Broke a tooth off a gear.  Maybe not as rare as you think?
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sold....
2012 Concours 14 Traded In
2015 Concours 14 Traded In
2018 H2 SX SE

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • 200,000 or Bust!
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 05:09:49 pm »

Yeah? Well someone just posted on the COG FaceBook page the same thing happened to them on a 2015. Broke a tooth off a gear.  Maybe not as rare as you think?

There have been quite a few that broke 3rd or 4th gear. I agree that there are times when ext. warranty is a good thing. More often than not it's never needed. Just comes a point where you have quit buying extended warranty's & insurance.

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 05:39:38 pm »
I broke a tooth off 3rd gear on my 2012. The bike was in the shop for 3 weeks ( Thanksgiving holiday delayed things too ) and they had to remove the engine entirely. Then split the case to fix the gear. It would have cost 2K+. Something to think about.

Exactly the same friggin issue on my 2012!! Thank god covered under warranty, did the exact same job. I'm gonna extend my warranty come september. I was under hard accel and all of a sudden the gear came loose, rev's sky high, I was like WTF??!?!?!?

Then crawled home avoid that gear. Dangerous though!
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline sininja

• Mini Bike
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 08:36:45 pm »

lmao whatever.  a few failures in thousands of bikes??? 

Offline Roger B

• Bicycle
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 09:17:57 pm »

There have been quite a few that broke 3rd or 4th gear. I agree that there are times when ext. warranty is a good thing. More often than not it's never needed. Just comes a point where you have quit buying extended warranty's & insurance.

I'm not doubting some people have had 3rd or 4th gear breaking, and it sounds like it is more prevalent than I thought before.   I'm just wondering why it wouldn't be more of a problem with the ZX14 / ZX14r, being how they are ridden.  Should be the same transmission, correct ?

Cliff   :beerchug:

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 09:19:36 pm »
Just got a letter today from Mother K...

Kawasaki Protection Plus...choose your plan:

3 years $704
2 Years $627
1 Year  $517

Sincerely,

Kawasaki Motors Corp, USA
800-357-8540

Where do i sell my soul?  :(
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 09:38:08 am »
My 2012 went in for warranty service 3 times. 1st time was to fix an oil leak from the top of the motor. While it was in I had them do the valve check and that saved me a ton of money. 2nd issue with the broken gear as I said above. 3rd time was a short in the wiring harness. Riding along and the ignition fuse blew. Bike just died. So yeah it was well worth it to me. The cost however was not as high as someone just wrote. I paid $360 when I bought the bike to have the 3 extra years. 6 years total.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2018 H2 SX SE

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 12:40:59 pm »
I wonder what they dropped in your motor to make the gear chip, did they adjust your valves or check them.
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 03:40:45 pm »
I wonder what they dropped in your motor to make the gear chip, did they adjust your valves or check them.

It's a known issue... 3a valves were out of tolerance and adjusted.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2018 H2 SX SE

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 07:31:41 pm »

3 years $704
2 Years $627
1 Year  $517

Sincerely,

800-357-8540

:rotflmao: ;)

Right here Harry...

Post 380?
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/gtpp-36-month-extension-for-$339-updated-2232013/

$359 for 36 months.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:36:42 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 08:19:56 pm »

3 years $704
2 Years $627
1 Year  $517

Sincerely,

800-357-8540

Right here Harry...

Post 380?
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/gtpp-36-month-extension-for-$339-updated-2232013/

$359 for 36 months.

Yea...looking at it with a magnifying glass right now...
Is this the exact same plan? If so...I'm selling my soul.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 08:28:55 pm »

3 years $704
2 Years $627
1 Year  $517

Sincerely,

800-357-8540

Right here Harry...

Post 380?

$359 for 36 months.

Yea...looking at it with a magnifying glass right now...
Is this the exact same plan? If so...I'm selling my soul.

Yes Harry, this is the lowered price structure I worked with Pete to get, for the true Kawasaki KPP plan, the one you got the Kaw letter about, for $700+
Jump on in, the water is fine....
https://youtu.be/SBjWHBHlvAs

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:32:50 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 08:37:48 pm »
Oh, and I'll give you my permission to create a cartoon image of me saying that, and printing it on a tee shirt, if you send me some of them... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :)) :))
https://youtu.be/SBjWHBHlvAs

Lemme know, I'll send a good photo... :rotflmao:

Offline sininja

• Mini Bike
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 01:06:16 am »

Not to be argumentative, but your "few failures" aren't a viable ratio to the thousand(s) of bikes you compare it to..
In reality, this forums C14 reports, and owner totals, pretty much represent much less than 10% of the bikes out there, so 5 reports of a similar or exact same failure, here, on this forum, does equate to a larger issue than it appears. Also, others on the "other forum" have had a similar total, doubling this. I'm not trying to say the bike is prone to this failure, but there are enough of them with this issue, and the linked brake valve body issue, that go unseen.
With that said, would you consider 5 instances, on merely a couple hundred(and that's actually stretching the figure... let's use 250 bikes as a working number)  an issue?
 :??:
As for the question asked by someone else, about the transmission being the same as a zx1400 model, yes, its similar, and shares parts, but those bikes are lighter weight, seldom loaded down with extra weight for travel, chain drive bikes.. not shaft drive which is heavier, and places more decelleration loading, and accelration load thru resistance, which can be the reason it surfaces in the ZG model more frequently than the ZX... the tranny in both is robust, but whacking a 2 gear downshift on the ZG will always result in more stress on those gears, than the chain driven ZX does.  Back in time, around the second year of production, Kaw actually did some "inspection and trade off services" so they could examine the wear characteristics of the bevel drive output units, some of our members were lucky to be part of that program, and I think the change over in that bevel drive gearing in 2015, was the result of that testing and analysys done back in '09-'10...  that ratio change was kind of misunderstood by folks, thinking it "assisted in easier take offs" from a stop, when in my mind, after seeing a few transmissions grenade when being worked hard on earlier models, it was clear to me the bevel gear change was done to reduce the stress on the tranny during "spirited downshifts"...
Food for thought. ;)

nope.  a handful of people on the internet having an issue with no true measure of maintenance history or use does not mean a damn thing. 

Offline Upstate Pete

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2018, 02:54:29 am »
I let mine expire after the initial 3 year. Haven't had a problem to date (6 years on). Haven't had a leak of any kind. Only thing is replacing the battery's in the tire sensors. modified the front to accept a replaceable battery, and will probably do the back this year. only problem is the new replaceable battery disconnects at over 80 mph. starts working again under that though. Other than that I don't know what to say... run it till it don't run no more. These things are tanks. tranny problems haven't cropped up on mine to date. Running full synthetic everywhere. Motul 7100 in engine and mobile 1 for gear oil. She's been as smooth as silk. I guess you have to abuse them.

bite me if you don't like what I said.

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 01:15:13 pm »

Not to be argumentative, but your "few failures" aren't a viable ratio to the thousand(s) of bikes you compare it to..
In reality, this forums C14 reports, and owner totals, pretty much represent much less than 10% of the bikes out there, so 5 reports of a similar or exact same failure, here, on this forum, does equate to a larger issue than it appears. Also, others on the "other forum" have had a similar total, doubling this. I'm not trying to say the bike is prone to this failure, but there are enough of them with this issue, and the linked brake valve body issue, that go unseen.
With that said, would you consider 5 instances, on merely a couple hundred(and that's actually stretching the figure... let's use 250 bikes as a working number)  an issue?
 :??:
As for the question asked by someone else, about the transmission being the same as a zx1400 model, yes, its similar, and shares parts, but those bikes are lighter weight, seldom loaded down with extra weight for travel, chain drive bikes.. not shaft drive which is heavier, and places more decelleration loading, and accelration load thru resistance, which can be the reason it surfaces in the ZG model more frequently than the ZX... the tranny in both is robust, but whacking a 2 gear downshift on the ZG will always result in more stress on those gears, than the chain driven ZX does.  Back in time, around the second year of production, Kaw actually did some "inspection and trade off services" so they could examine the wear characteristics of the bevel drive output units, some of our members were lucky to be part of that program, and I think the change over in that bevel drive gearing in 2015, was the result of that testing and analysys done back in '09-'10...  that ratio change was kind of misunderstood by folks, thinking it "assisted in easier take offs" from a stop, when in my mind, after seeing a few transmissions grenade when being worked hard on earlier models, it was clear to me the bevel gear change was done to reduce the stress on the tranny during "spirited downshifts"...
Food for thought. ;)

nope.  a handful of people on the internet having an issue with no true measure of maintenance history or use does not mean a damn thing.

Full synthetic every 3000 miles and never abused. Whatever. I've already wasted 3 minutes of my life I'll never get back on this nonsense. Cancel your warranty and may Murphy be with you.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2018 H2 SX SE

Offline Gitbox

• Scooter
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 01:26:55 pm »
There is no other bike out there that has this kind of performance in this price range with this reliability.

<cough>FJR<cough>  :great:
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 05:44:12 pm »
I am quite jealous of those who never use or buy an extended warranty.  I was able to buy 2 3 year extensions through MOB's buddy. I ended up with a final drive leak which I'm sure paid for the purchase of the extended warranties.  And unlike many others I still have the original front rotors. But for the low cost that MOB was able to get for us the extended warranty for me was piece of mind knowing if something major happened my wallet was not going to be completely depleted.

There is a retired mama K tech near by who claims he was one of the guys the techs called if they could not figure something out. His opinion of K parts quality was less than stellar.  -talking clamps and bearings. Keep in mind it's been about 10 years since I last spoke to him and might even be no longer with us.     
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 06:06:42 pm »
There is no other bike out there that has this kind of performance in this price range with this reliability.

<Cough> H2 SX SE <Cough>
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2018 H2 SX SE

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2018, 06:58:39 pm »

<Cough> H2 SX SE <Cough>

$22,000.00 +
And only a 12 month factory warranty....    . Extended 12, 24, 36, & 48 month optional...

:hum:

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2018, 12:40:43 pm »

<Cough> H2 SX SE <Cough>

$22,000.00 +
And only a 12 month factory warranty....    . Extended 12, 24, 36, & 48 month optional...

:hum:

And out performs anything else in the Sport Touring class. You get what you pay for.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2018 H2 SX SE

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 03:48:08 am »
I better sell my bike soon , I know i'm doomed  :truce: :truce: :truce:
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2018, 12:34:39 am »

[/quote

Yeah if was on f g book it must be true ::)
You know this reminds me when I first got my 2011 (new) I grew up on dirt bikes then only street bikes BUT it was 25  some years since I last had a bike, so  to be honest with you it took me a few thousand miles to get the feel back like I use to have , one day leaving a stop light making a left turn  I flubed  a shift I remember It was ME not the bikes fault and it made a noise only in that gear 3rd I believe , had the original factory warranty so was not worried , the noise slowly went away, what happen god knows , but what I do know It was MY fault , I really believe many of these PROBLEMS are REALLY the driver's fault , I'm very honest so I admit it was me, well  If it had continued to make noise I would have used the warranty as it was the bikes fault ,
Just a true story .      :pokestick: I change my Royal Purple oil every 9 to 10,000 miles 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 01:42:55 am by cuda »

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 02:36:42 pm »
Never had a warranty. When I purchased my 09 in 12 it was already expired. Since I do all of my own maintenance / repairs it's not a worry.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver