Author Topic: let my warranty expire today...  (Read 2898 times)

Offline sininja

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
let my warranty expire today...
« on: March 16, 2018, 07:42:26 pm »
My 2011 was still qualified for another 3yr warranty extension since it was bought as a carryover but I declined this time...  between the lack of qualified or even adequate Kawi dealers in MN and the general bulletproofness of these bikes I decided to update to Steve's latest flash and a new to me seat I'm picking up tomorrow.  Still have an almost new set of Roadsmart lll's from last summer since I've been off two wheels due to some medical stuff as well.  I'm excited and ready to roll now!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: let my warranty expire today...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 08:25:19 pm »
Bummer....
For the price of another extension, and the protection it provides, for the price of a pair of tires, it would pay for itself when you need new tire pressure sensors...

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/p/kawasaki/21176-0748/sensor-tpms-315mhz

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/kawasaki/21176-0748/b3207696

https://www.amazon.com/SENSOR-315MHZ-Genuine-Kawasaki-Motorcycle/dp/B00SHZY5YC

https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/part-number/21176-0748

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/kawasaki-sensor-tpms-315mhz-21176-0748-part.html

https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/p/kawasaki/21176-0748/sensor-tpms-315mhz

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kawasaki-Concours-14-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-315-MHZ-Sensor-21176-0748-New-OEM/726877069

Wow, Walmart????? :rotflmao:

And even then, its a selling point if you decide to sell the bike... if you changed your mind.
I simply don't get the cost versus the buying farkles thing, when you don't protect the bike the farkles go on.

Best of luck tho, and may you ride long and trouble free. :great:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:52:57 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline sininja

• Moped
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 08:47:28 pm »
there's no Kawi dealers in MN I'd let touch my wheels.  I do however have one of the best private wrenches available that does battery changes in the tpms sensors so that played a big roll in my decision.  There is no other bike out there that has this kind of performance in this price range with this reliability.  I'm keeping it for more than 3 years now.

Online Bud

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 08:54:18 pm »
Bummer....
For the price of another extension, and the protection it provides, for the price of a pair of tires, it would pay for itself when you need new tire pressure sensors...

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/kawasaki-sensor-tpms-315mhz-21176-0748-part.html

And even then, its a selling point if you decide to sell the bike... if you changed your mind.
I simply don't get the cost versus the buying farkles thing, when you don't protect the bike the farkles go on.

Hope your abs pump lives long...as MOB said....wish you luck!  The prices of some of the parts on these scare me to death.....windshield motor assembly is $630! :-\ Don't ask me how I know.

Offline sininja

• Moped
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 08:57:48 pm »
Again...  there isn't a Kawi dealer in MN that I would trust.  My private wrench flushes all my fluid every spring.  If something happens to pop up in the next three years I'm confident he can get me on the road for less than msrp parts at the dealer.  I'm confident in the bike too, these things are great.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 09:30:16 pm »
there's no Kawi dealers in MN I'd let touch my wheels.  I do however have one of the best private wrenches available that does battery changes in the tpms sensors so that played a big roll in my decision.  There is no other bike out there that has this kind of performance in this price range with this reliability.  I'm keeping it for more than 3 years now.

:great:
I understand, and as you have an '11 model, your sensors should be first gen, and have no issue replacing the batteries...
As for my listings in my post, it was just to show others,nthat there is no "low priced"  OEM part, so if one gets damaged, the cost is what it is.
I was sincere in my comment wishing you the best with your bike, and I agree that when maintained, they can be pretty tough to beat as far as reliability goes.
Not sure if you visit the "other" Concours / ZG site, where other folks bring up issues that have occurred requiring warranty replacement of parts that broke, but as that site has been up and running longer, it does provide a bit more history of mechanical foibles..

Also sorry to hear there are no qualified dealerships in your state, that can provide trusted service on warranty issues, that saddens me, as I've been very lucky in both Virginia, and Ohio, to have trustworthy care providers when called upon... even tho I do my own work, when it comes to a warranty issue Kaw needs to be aware, provide service, and add it into the database as issues; when that part of the "system" is missing, it just exascerbates and hides the problems they need to correct, thru the feedback from owners.

Again, ride long and enjoy,
 :motonoises: :motonoises: :beerchug: :great: :great:

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 11:20:37 pm »
Well maybe I'm shortsighted, but I let my warranty expire this year also. It had more to do with the fact that after having the tech strip the rotor threads out of the front wheel when the rotors were replaced under warranty, I figure I'd rather do any fixin' and at least know the work was done right. Steve
C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 12:01:44 am »
Mine is a 2011 and I never wasted my money on a extended ... :nananana:

About 15 - 18 years ago I was on a airplane flight with two executives of one of those insurance company's

They must have been in the bar before the flight because they were quite talkative , they expressed to me that

most of the money goes  to the person SELLING you the contract  , not the Insurance company , because soo

few file a claim , I NEVER buy such  insurance .

PS I don't use a big aftermarket windshield  , if anything I use Copperdawg in the summer for air flow wind

noise does not bother me , I only drive local , till I retire . 

On the other hand I do buy insurance on such things as my Polaris RZR , because it has broad coverage like the

first  $5,000 medical coverage , liability , accident ... cheap also.

I also have a million umbrella policy with my home owners ins. also cheap compared to the amount of

coverage. ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:11:46 am by cuda »
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6662
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 10:48:46 am »
I never used mine either. In fact I've never used one on any vehicle I've purchased.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 04:22:21 pm »
i purchased the extended 3 year on my 09 for 340$.. at 84000 miles the bevel drive gear box shot craps. without the warranty i would have been out over 1000$ i was happy i bought the warranty. i have also purchased the extended on my 2016 for 350$, peace of mind is worth the money,only takes one failure and it will pay for itself, imho.... :)
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline barberman

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 04:54:02 pm »
Interesting hearing about these extended warranties. $350 for a three yr.?  When I bought my 2012 14 it had a warranty that had a year left on it. (the original warranty was $900.00)   When talking w/ the company (RPM) they offered a three yr. extended for $50.00 .  When I received the paperwork it was extended to 5 yrs.  So when I discovered my valve cover seeping I was happy because it enabled me to sneak in a valve check at that time as well. Kinda of a no brainer at 50 bucks.

Offline old n slow

• Moped
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 06:38:57 pm »
A three year FACTORY warranty for about 35 cents a day....I couldn't pass it up, even knowing I was going to sell the bike. I think it is the best "farkle" you can buy. I know it influenced my purchase and it influenced the guy who bought it from me.
Mike D.   

old n slow...it's my way of life☺

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 07:25:06 pm »
My luck has always been this - I never have had to use an extended warranty on anything - EVER.

On top of all that, I trust my own wrenching.

So, I don't know on this one.
My bike warranty ends in June.
I guess I have a little time to mull it over.
I can buy a lot of nice new tools with all the money I have saved by not purchasing extended warranties.

Here it is 2+ years later and my FOB battery is just now complaining about being too low voltage.
My very first C14 repair to date.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
Looking for a Christmas gift idea? Try this => Road Rash Cartoon Book

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 08:58:22 pm »
Interesting hearing about these extended warranties. $350 for a three yr.?  When I bought my 2012 14 it had a warranty that had a year left on it. (the original warranty was $900.00)   When talking w/ the company (RPM) they offered a three yr. extended for $50.00 .  When I received the paperwork it was extended to 5 yrs.  So when I discovered my valve cover seeping I was happy because it enabled me to sneak in a valve check at that time as well. Kinda of a no brainer at 50 bucks.

I don't think the plan you got offered was Kawasaki's KPP, it was another plan, which may not offer any real protection...

KPP is now up to $370 thru our special dealer offering, who has provided this price for many years to our group...

Contact info
http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/gtpp-36-month-extension-for-$339-updated-2232013/msg108056/#msg108056

The thread is many pages, so reading the first couple, and final couple should explain all, and show how many customers felt about his offering...

Best of luck on you bike, ride safe and far...

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • COG#: 9924
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 12:16:08 am »
My luck has always been this - I never have had to use an extended warranty on anything - EVER.

I can buy a lot of nice new tools with all the money I have saved by not purchasing extended warranties.

Here it is 2+ years later and my FOB battery is just now complaining about being too low voltage.
been wrenching on scooters for over 50 years, have built several basket cases, the wrenching part is not the real issue, it's the cost of the very expensive parts that i like the warranties. :)
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline Egodriver71

• Crotch Rocket
  • I'm in here somewhere
  • COG#: 8321
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 10:52:25 am »
Mine expires for good next month.

I'm at the tail end of my 2nd extension.

I guess I need one of these now...

https://teespring.com/i-am-the-warranty?tsmac=store&tsmic=tavarish#pid=211&cid=5288&sid=front

Thomas Mann
Jacksonville, FL

COG #8321

1930 Indian 101 Scout (the first bike)(still in the garage)
1986 Yamaha Radian (the first modern bike)(Sold)
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD (the wife's first bike)
1996 Kawasaki Eliminator (Wife's)
1999 Kawasaki Concours (The Warbird)
2006 Kawasaki Vuclan 900 (Wife's)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Totaled)
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 (Second Chance)

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 11:24:00 am »
I'm in the 7th of 9 years for the warranty.  I haven't come close to needing it yet.  I replaced the TPMS batteries myself since I didn't want the new style that would have been installed with the warranty.  I seldom if ever buy an extended warranty.  As much as I ride, I thought this one would be worth it for the relatively low cost.  But as mentioned, the C-14's are bullet proof. 

If you really think about it, it's actually not such a bad thing to buy it and not use it.  Consider it a tip paid to Kawasaki for making such an awesome defect free bike.  Do I really want to go thought the aggravation of replacing the rear drive and feel good because it's covered?  Not.   :great:
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 11:43:16 am »
Buying a extended warranty is the same as going to Vegas. You're placing a bet that your bike will break. Most likely you'll lose, just like Vegas.

Never extended or needed mine. 

Cliff   :beerchug:
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Guest

• Bicycle
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 12:02:44 pm »
I did the warranty extension game.  I normally skip the warranties because I figure they wouldn’t offer them if they didn’t make money...  but the forums were saying they were a good value on the C14.  Only thing I got covered was the TPMS sensors.  If I had to do it again, I’d skip the warranties.  It doesn’t help that I can’t trust the shops to work on my bike, anyway.

The only time I bring it to a shop, anymore, is when I HAVE to.  North Carolina does annual “safety inspection” and I can’t DIY that.  I had to sit quietly and watch two techs man-handle my C14.  It was painful.  I finally objected to management when they were continuing to rev/redline the engine in the bay and giggling.  Unfortunately I believe this behavior is par for the course.

My wife and I bought new cars, last year.  One of the dealers asked if we had “regularly serviced the trade in?”  Yep.  Then the follow up: “At the dealer?”  Nope, we prefer the services to be done properly.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 11:33:30 pm »

been wrenching on scooters for over 50 years, have built several basket cases, the wrenching part is not the real issue, it's the cost of the very expensive parts that i like the warranties. :)

And that Sir, was my point. :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:
I've always serviced my own bikes, I don't put anyone down for not having someone else touch them, its just the price of the part that drives it... and if a tech at a Kaw dealer can't change a tire, to install said replacement sensor (speaking primarily to those owning '13 and up models), and program it, well not much can be done. I lucked out and got new old style sensors when mine went titzup. I change my own tires, have for 9 years now, so no big issue for me to re do my batteries...

In the coming years, the painful fee of the sensor replacements and tech KDS programming of same, for '13 and up bikes, will again create animosity about this bike. Nuff said, BTDT.. got the Tee Shirt.
 :rotflmao: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Has anyone "excercised" their rear shock preload knob recently on a '13 and up bike? Just curious, as that issue was never rectified as far as I know...  now I opened the "I just bought a Penske shock..." and it doesn't apply.. can o worms...

I wish I was rich, or wealthy, I know, I'm  Rich by name, not by nature... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 02:31:25 am »
Buying a extended warranty is the same as going to Vegas. You're placing a bet that your bike will break. Most likely you'll lose, just like Vegas.

Never extended or needed mine. 

Cliff   :beerchug:

That's cuz ya don't ride nuff. :motonoises:  garage queen.

Oh wait that's mine, 200,000 really?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:35:39 am by cuda »
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 04:23:35 am »
Bummer....

https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/oemparts/p/kawasaki/21176-0748/sensor-tpms-315mhz

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kawasaki-Concours-14-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-315-MHZ-Sensor-21176-0748-New-OEM/726877069

Wow, Walmart????? :rotflmao:

Looking at them prices...that is just highway robbery. K has us over a barrel.
I can go to Sam's Club and replace all 4 car tire TPMS sensors for less than the cost of one C14 TPMS sensor.
I believe in making a profit, but does it have to kill the customer?

This is why I would rather look for an alternative such as the Garmin Zumo and install the $70 TPMS.  :(
Still mulling it over.

Offline 4Bikes

• Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 11:20:49 am »
I run the Zumo TPS sensors.  They work great, have decimal place accuracy for the pressure.  The battery is simple to change and you don't even need to unscrew the sensor from the valve stem to change it.  They also alarm for low pressures and track each tire with graphs.  It's interesting to see how the pressure changes with tire temperature.  I still run the C-14 TPMS and they track together, the Garmin is just more granular, 

Front

Rear

Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline KevinRLI

• Street Cruiser
  • I avoid normal people.
  • COG#: 11153
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 12:29:13 pm »
I broke a tooth off 3rd gear on my 2012. The bike was in the shop for 3 weeks ( Thanksgiving holiday delayed things too ) and they had to remove the engine entirely. Then split the case to fix the gear. It would have cost 2K+. Something to think about.
1980 Honda CB650 RIP....
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 Sold....
2012 Concours 14 Traded In
2015 Concours 14 Traded In
2018 H2 SX SE

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 02:50:44 pm »
I broke a tooth off 3rd gear on my 2012. The bike was in the shop for 3 weeks ( Thanksgiving holiday delayed things too ) and they had to remove the engine entirely. Then split the case to fix the gear. It would have cost 2K+. Something to think about.

That is a LOT of something to think about.