Author Topic: Linked brakes,,  (Read 869 times)

Offline ddialogue

• Boise, Idaho
  • Training Wheels
  • I have C14 perma grin!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Linked brakes,,
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 02:49:32 pm »
I avoid linked brake issues by never using the rear brake.

This!  When I bought my 2010, the first thing I noticed was the rear brake pedal and the front lever fighting each other when both were pressed/pulled at the same time.  Since then, I only use the front brake lever and set the aggressiveness based on solo or two up riding.
Dave

2010 ABS Neptune Blue
2003 FZ1 Silver
2008 KTM 530EXC

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 04:25:40 pm »
I was thinking on a ride yesterday, after proving that the rear brake does become unlinked at slow speeds.  I'm wondering if anybody ever took a look at the input that is used to detect that the speed is below 20 MPH and unlinks the brakes?  If that input could be simulated, the braking system could be fooled into being unlinked.  Better yet a switch could enable or disable the linking function.  Just thinking out loud, and spit balling here with no research....... ::) 
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 05:06:04 pm »
I was thinking on a ride yesterday, after proving that the rear brake does become unlinked at slow speeds.  I'm wondering if anybody ever took a look at the input that is used to detect that the speed is below 20 MPH and unlinks the brakes?  If that input could be simulated, the braking system could be fooled into being unlinked.  Better yet a switch could enable or disable the linking function.  Just thinking out loud, and spit balling here with no research....... ::)

Its controlled by "pulse count per second", and with a comparison of pulses being sent by both front and rear hall effect sensors relelative to wheel rotation...
Cracking the programming on the logic circuit would require extra lines of code, not just a modification of some single values used to control it.. so in a nutshell, not probable....

I base this on the difference in part numbers for the hall effect sensors, and sensing signal rings, at both wheel hubs, but ive not physically compared the two (pre / post) linked systems,.i assume the rings and sensors on post models have more "slots" to emulate a "redundant spedometer" comparison linked to the bikes logic, and compared to the pulse count of the transmission output speedo sensor, which iirc is the same on both pre and post models.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:19:23 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW