Author Topic: Linked brakes,,  (Read 1685 times)

Offline ddialogue

• Boise, Idaho
  • Training Wheels
  • I have C14 perma grin!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Linked brakes,,
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 02:49:32 pm »
I avoid linked brake issues by never using the rear brake.

This!  When I bought my 2010, the first thing I noticed was the rear brake pedal and the front lever fighting each other when both were pressed/pulled at the same time.  Since then, I only use the front brake lever and set the aggressiveness based on solo or two up riding.
Dave

2010 ABS Neptune Blue
2003 FZ1 Silver
2008 KTM 530EXC

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9715
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 04:25:40 pm »
I was thinking on a ride yesterday, after proving that the rear brake does become unlinked at slow speeds.  I'm wondering if anybody ever took a look at the input that is used to detect that the speed is below 20 MPH and unlinks the brakes?  If that input could be simulated, the braking system could be fooled into being unlinked.  Better yet a switch could enable or disable the linking function.  Just thinking out loud, and spit balling here with no research....... ::) 
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Online MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 05:06:04 pm »
I was thinking on a ride yesterday, after proving that the rear brake does become unlinked at slow speeds.  I'm wondering if anybody ever took a look at the input that is used to detect that the speed is below 20 MPH and unlinks the brakes?  If that input could be simulated, the braking system could be fooled into being unlinked.  Better yet a switch could enable or disable the linking function.  Just thinking out loud, and spit balling here with no research....... ::)

Its controlled by "pulse count per second", and with a comparison of pulses being sent by both front and rear hall effect sensors relelative to wheel rotation...
Cracking the programming on the logic circuit would require extra lines of code, not just a modification of some single values used to control it.. so in a nutshell, not probable....

I base this on the difference in part numbers for the hall effect sensors, and sensing signal rings, at both wheel hubs, but ive not physically compared the two (pre / post) linked systems,.i assume the rings and sensors on post models have more "slots" to emulate a "redundant spedometer" comparison linked to the bikes logic, and compared to the pulse count of the transmission output speedo sensor, which iirc is the same on both pre and post models.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 05:19:23 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 06:20:28 pm »
Ok after 3 weeks, my appointment was yesterday,, Both front rotors where warped, the right very badly. The stealership seams to think the right side was hit or something.
I have never hit any thing or has any thing hit the bike. The bike was a demo when i bought it, and this problem has gotten progressively worse over time.
Well at any rate, New rotors, seems to have fixed the very grabby linked brakes.
But now im in shock,, the warranty, is all good,
But my bill for an oil change and inspection is $157,, WTH!
I was being nice and having them do the oil change,,, but for now on,, only warranty work will the dealer see!

No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 06:27:34 pm »
Ok after 3 weeks, my appointment was yesterday,, Both front rotors where warped, the right very badly. The stealership seams to think the right side was hit or something.
I have never hit any thing or has any thing hit the bike. The bike was a demo when i bought it, and this problem has gotten progressively worse over time.
Well at any rate, New rotors, seems to have fixed the very grabby linked brakes.
I was being nice and having them do the oil change,,, but for now on,, only warranty work will the dealer see!

Hi,
      Roger that! :great:

My wife has a Honda Element and she is going to the Dealer for work tomorrow!

I can't do it and my regular mechanic can't do it. :-[

It's electrical work and they have the parts and scanners you need to fix the problem! :truce:

Honda does not make the Element any more and she wants to keep it, but.... ;D

I got that, "old feeling"!!! :(
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline JDSCO

• Bicycle
  • 2016 C14
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12593
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2017, 08:52:21 pm »
I don't like "linked brakes"

I talked to the Kaw Mechanic at my fav dealership about my dislike of Kaw Linked brakes.
He's been around since Jesus rode a Hodaka.
As an example, I described the sometimes, abrupt front end dive and a dead pedal feel.
He suggested increasing preload and comp dampening.
And then I think he told me, in so many words, that I'm just being a baby.
"It's not bragging if you can back it up"
Muhammad Ali

Offline Freddy

• Moped
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2017, 10:19:52 pm »
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Gixerhp

• Industry Member
  • Road Bike
  • The Lighting Guy!
  • COG#: 12189
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 06:21:27 am »
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=13655.0
We will see today when i get the bike back. If the warped rotors where making it worse ill know this morning.
If im still not happy i will disable the linked brakes
No Replacement for Displacement
Bikes are my passion and my hobbie,,
If you need help, and are close,, PM me

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2017, 05:13:20 pm »
I hate the brake action when using the foot pedal, so VERY RARELY use it. 99% of the time I use just the hand brake. I've got a 2012 with ABS. The ABS is wonderful and has saved me from a few cager caused close calls. I forget the braking ratio when using the hand lever only, but it's always very smooth, whether a slowdown stop or more emergent.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • COG#: 10410
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2017, 05:15:51 pm »

Hi,
      Roger that! :great:

My wife has a Honda Element and she is going to the Dealer for work tomorrow!

I can't do it and my regular mechanic can't do it. :-[

It's electrical work and they have the parts and scanners you need to fix the problem! :truce:

Honda does not make the Element any more and she wants to keep it, but.... ;D

I got that, "old feeling"!!! :(

Giant, I saw a license plate on an Element one time that said "IMINMY". Say it out loud and it will crack you up!
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12654
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2017, 11:39:43 pm »
I thought I'd join in.
I've only put 1000 miles on the C14, but I describe the brakes a "grabby".
I am hoping that, with time, I will learn the nuances of the C14's braking system.

My braking sequence has always been, start with a little rear brake, then begin applying front brakes.  I've found with the C14 brakes, that if you don't apply the front brakes very carefully, the bike takes a nosedive. :-\

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2017, 12:11:20 am »
Hi,
      Bruiser, the Honda Element, gets labled as the Mini H2! (HUMMER!)

I don't think it is that tough, but it is a well built vehicle, and my wife loves it!

Tim,
         That is not normal on my bike...(catchy front brake!)

I have to force myself to use the back brake as just a small pull on the front only, stops me fine, at MOST times!

You might want to look into that or get another opinion?

Going to a Meet?

Try another Connie and see how it compares with yours?

I think you will find most owners are fine with the stopping power...

Some just don't like the linked part! ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:14:42 am by seagiant1 »
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2017, 01:02:24 pm »

Tim,

I have to force myself to use the back brake as just a small pull on the front only, stops me fine, at MOST times!

Going to a Meet?

Thanks seagiant1,

I'll try initiating stopping with the front brake lever and see how that feels.
I don't think there's a "problem" with the brakes, I think that it's more an issue of learning the bike.
My last two bikes were low sitting, foot forward controls cruisers.  The last one being a 750lb, 1900cc beast, with a fairly long rake, putting the front brakes way ahead of me.

If it continues to be an issue, I'll have to seek out another member close by and try their brakes.

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2017, 01:46:35 pm »

Tim,

Going to a Meet?

Thanks seagiant1,

I'll try initiating stopping with the front brake lever and see how that feels.
I don't think there's a "problem" with the brakes, I think that it's more an issue of learning the bike.
My last two bikes were low sitting, foot forward controls cruisers.  The last one being a 750lb, 1900cc beast, with a fairly long rake, putting the front brakes way ahead of me.

If it continues to be an issue, I'll have to seek out another member close by and try their brakes.

Hi,
       Tim, something else I forgot to mention, after rereading your post, (nosediving!)

Is of course, the suspension settings!

Admittedly, I was not overly impressed with the suspension on the C14 (for me!)....

That I spent the coin for a used set of Ohlin's Suspension!

Just sayin, another thing to look at and maybe check out.

Once again going to a Meet or a "Wrench-In" and talking to others, helps a lot! :great:

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2017, 07:06:40 pm »
Thanks again seagiant1!
I never considered the suspension.

Offline Tim

• Tricycle
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2017, 12:12:48 am »

seagiant1,

I tried leading with the front brake...much better!

Thanks for the advice! :)