Author Topic: Literally burned my shins  (Read 7461 times)

Offline Juscruizn

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: forum
Literally burned my shins
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 05:17:00 pm »
Sorry to hear you are having heat issues with your Connie.  I rode a Voyager 1700 before the Connie and that bike definately has a problem with heat on the right side.  Enough  so to burn pants and flesh together.  I am somewhat short of inseam and have not noticed any undo heat and I have been riding with jeans.  Get your connie checked out by a local technition.    Good luck, Reed  

Offline Ed King

• Tricycle
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 06:23:00 pm »
I've had the bike a week and just shy of 1,000 miles in a couple days of riding, haven't really thought twice about the heat. During regular riding I feel some heat but not anything I could be concerned with, stop and go traffic it gets warm with riding pants on but I don't have terrible heat on my 09 as of yet anyway.  
COG #8872  2009 C14 and I'm loving it !  Its' all about the ride.......

Offline STJunkie in CO

• Big Wheels
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 10:50:00 pm »
To those who have no problems with the heat generated... groovy.   Your lack of a problem cannot convince those of us that do that nothings amiss with our particular bikes; ain't gonna' happen.  Before the mods, I might have changed my member handle to "crispy critter."     For those of us who DO have a problem, here are the mods I performed:            heat wrapped exhaust, muzzy high-flow fans, inline switch to fans to switch on as needed (fans will turn on auto if reach operating temp and overrides switch, or I can turn them on manually to reduce heat.  BIG help), additional high-heat resistant foil in panels.  These mods help bring the heat down to tolerable levels.      I often wonder if the mapping is too lean.  I suppose it is possible, either a variance in bikes and/or riding at over a mile high (Colorado).    
'09 Connie, '08 KTM 690 SMR

Offline Juscruizn

• Bicycle
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 01:31:00 pm »
Sounds as if you have some good recomedations for those riders that suffer from the heat dillema.  I have not noticed a problem, but I realize that  the opportunity is there in certain situations.  My question, would  a small extension or .5" to .75" mounted to the vents direct the exhaust out at a different angle from the cowlings possibly work?    Just my .02 cents worth.    Reed  

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 02:20:00 pm »
I have expirenced my left lower leg getting pretty warm to to the point of being painful.     In Aug. I went on a 3317 mile ride from WA to CO and KS. (Avg 42.7 MPG at speeds we won't talk about) Knowing there could be a heat issue, I bought Danner boots with insulation and some long mesh riding pants. I ended up coming through UT and ID in what seemed to be the hottest day of the year. The fans would come on the second I pulled from the freeway for gas. I was running with the Kaw tall front shield all the way down.     I was freaking hot all over, temps in the 100's....but my legs and ankles remained OK and was not an issue.    
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline Tom

• Big Wheels
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 09:48:00 pm »
I had a problem with the heat as well. This seems to be the result of all incoming air being forced through the radiator with no cool air mixing with it.  Try this: remove the foam and brackets on both sides of the radiator and remove the small top piece of plastic (mounts the foam in place).  Allowing cool air to mix with the heated air forcing a larger volume of cooler air from the vents.  Engine cooling temperature is the same as it was prior to removing the foam.  This does help, but this bike does radiate a lot of heat.  

Offline UP

• Bicycle
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 03:14:00 pm »
All I can say is that my 08 HD Ultra Classic puked heat and compared to that bike the C-14 is a cold cucumber....    UP