Author Topic: Looking to buy my first Concours  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Lemon

• Tricycle
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Looking to buy my first Concours
« on: March 27, 2017, 06:21:21 am »
Hey all, looking at buying a 2009 Concours, 25k and powder coated Kawi green rims. It's got an electronic cruise control on it, as well as Zteve saddlebag brackets and some fancy foam inserts that keep your shins protected from the exhaust.

I'm wondering what the main preference is for aftermarket air filters, oil, exhaust, extra accessories, and if anybody has installed projector headlights or Angel rings, as that's something I have been looking at.

Also, how much does Steve charge for his ECU flash? Would definitely be looking at that after changing the air filter and exhaust.

Keep the shiny side up,
LemonRX  :beerchug:

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Looking to buy my first Concours
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:46:50 am »
There are basically two choices for the air and oil filters, OEM and K&N.  I like the Kawasaki OEM air filter but the K&N K-303A oil filter.  You can get all the details on Steve's flash from his web site at:

https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/concours1400

There are some threads here on the board regarding headlamps.  It seems LED replacements are becoming more popular.

Lots of options on the exhaust.  Vance & Hines CS-One, Two Brothers Racing, Area P, and Delkevic all make nice slip-ons and systems.  Akropovic also makes a system that looks great but it's very expensive. Some owners also like to get a ZX-14 dual header and install a ZX-14 system instead.

Does the bike have maintenance records?  At 25K miles (???) the valves should have been checked/adjusted by now.  Also there are some maintenance procedures which are time-based vs. mileage so you may want to check into those things.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Lemon

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 12:56:04 am »
Well I got it!! He's actually a member here, although I didn't get his screen name. I put 100 miles on it as soon as I got it, and I have no idea why he got rid of it. It rides so smooth and quiet, it's the first bike I haven't bought and seen how fast it will go. I'm thinking about painting the engine vents in the fairings green, and the fins on the saddlebags as well to match and give some accent color. Contemplating green accent lighting too. I'm afraid the headlights and halos will have to wait for a while, but the tiny middle lights might be getting changed rather quickly. How hard is it to do?

Also looking for recommendations on cleaning supplies. The bike is so nice I'd love to keep it that way. I won't be able to keep it in a garage yet, so it'll be under a cover with a tarp over that as an extra precaution. I've heard about people putting RainX on their rims and windshield to make it easier to clean. Good idea, or not?

Offline C. Moore

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 6662
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:02:08 am »
Hi Lemon, congrats on the new to you bike. I wax my windscreen to keep it clean. Not sure about rain X on plexiglass. It might work. I don't see how it could hurt the wheels. I use a cleaner solution that I mix with water to break up the road grit and any oily mess on the motor. I keep the water spray on the lower half of the bike and away from any electronics.
'10 C14  Dallas, Texas
CDA #523
COG# 6662

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11887
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 10:32:04 am »
The powdercoated wheel will be much easier to clean, those little lights are called the "city lights"- put some LEDs in there and it'll will contrast against the yellow headlights and drive you mad until you change them to LED or HID too, lol...but it's all easy to access by way of a little panel that's held in place by 4 plastic push rivets- just poke-in the centers to release them.

And:

:TPIWWP:
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline SRT6

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 05:18:15 am »
Last year RainX came out with a new product that is safe for plastic. I use this on my windshield now.

Offline Lemon

• Tricycle
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 01:53:12 pm »
 :TPIWWP:
[/quote]

I'll do what I can! Gonna have to figure out how to do that. City lights huh, might just wait and save the money for the full conversion then. I've gotta run to the store today (maybe tomorrow) and pick up some protective things. I don't currently have a shelter for it and I feel bad leaving this beautiful machine outside. Especially since it's rained the past couple of days overnight. Wax, soap, microfiber cloths, chamois, anything I'm forgetting?

My plan for protection is a motorcycle cover on the bike, while it's parked between the house and fence, and strapping a heavy duty tarp from the garage to the top of the fence.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 08:11:05 pm »
Very nice! I've seen pics of peoples bikes that have done/highlighted the ribs and fins with green, I like it very much and one of my favorite "looks" of the C14. I wonder how it would look if someone powercoated Canyon cages in the same green...never seen that done before and not very subtle I suppose...?
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Online DarenLine

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 04:35:28 am »
Congrats! Looks beautiful. As a fairly new owner myself I won't be able to provide much help with your questions, however I'd suggest you stay away from tarp! It traps the moisture and the bike will start rusting itself out.

Offline NYbiomed

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 11:17:17 am »
Lemon: There's a recent  thread already regarding LED headlights that look real good and with LED city lights, only gonna cost a bit over $100 bucks and it's an under 30minutes install....Easy and cheap upgrade.
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
1983 Honda CB1000 Custom
1990 Kawasaki EX500

Offline Irreverend Joe

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12367
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 10:12:57 pm »
I went with LED city lights in amber, just so I wouldn't have to deal with the color/Kelvin difference.  :)  An easy changeout, regardless.

My 2009 is black, and I've been toying with the idea of some red vinyl film for the vent fins...
2009 C14 non-ABS, Metallic Diablo Black, Area P full system, Canyon Cages (front and back), Murph's risers and wedges, Givi ES450 Monolock trunk, Phil's rack, Sargent low seat, Steve's flash, Top Block swing arm and axle sliders
2011 Honda CBR250R, not farkled much yet but I'm working on it

Offline Upstate Pete

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 02:40:48 am »
Kawa Green rims on a concourse 14. I think someone had little dick issues. this is a big boys bike. Please treat it as such.

Offline Jim M.

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 7951
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 12:32:16 pm »
Since your bike will be living outside (like mine), a good cover is very important. Get a Dowco cover with the lifetime warranty. I bought one 12 years and 3 bikes ago and they stand by it. I'm on my 3rd replacement from normal wear. Once the cover starts to wear and gets a hole in it somewhere( never had it get a hole in the top, always around the bottom where it is pulled tight), you just contact them, get a RMA # and cut the bad spot out and send it to them. They'll get a new free replacement right out to you no problem.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:36:14 pm by Jim M. »