Author Topic: Looks like I’m keeping the c14  (Read 548 times)

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Bicycle
  • No matter where you go, there you are...
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12503
  • Membership Level: Active
Looks like I’m keeping the c14
« on: October 29, 2018, 01:47:32 am »
Stopped by the local dealer on Saturday. They have a new H2 SeSx on the floor... hummmm on sale for $18.6k.  With bags and centerstand, out the door for $22 and change... man it looks great, the green is way better in person.

Ok, I get home and look up my Progressive policy, plug in the VIN, and get a quote...wtf? $1400 a year?  I mean my new Corvette, and the c14 are less than that combined...lol I thought it’s supposed to be a sport touring bike...

Offline Ryder123

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 12720
Re: Looks like I’m keeping the c14
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 05:18:46 am »
Its the curb weight to horsepower that drives the insrance rates up and the replacement cost for the H2. Its a great option to change the horsepower on the C-14 by getting your ECU flashed without affecting your insurance rates The C-14 is better on the Highway because of its weight. You dont feel the effects of wind, & rain like you would on a smaller bike.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
Mahatma Gandhi

Offline SteveJ.

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 5603
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:44:34 am »
This is old info as I dropped them twelve years ago when I moved to FLA, but it could still be in effect.

State Farm used to go strictly by the number of cc's, no super bike blacklist. A simple phone call to check it out may be enlightening.

I had good service for about 30 years with them in my previous life of living in the Minnesnowta tundra.

Their rates in FLA were not competitive for homeowners so I moved on. I like to keep all of my insurance through one agent.
Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SiSF)
Tick Tock, baby (Ironbuttal)
Steve J  Tavares, FL, one of the Floriduh Steves
'15 Versys650LT, '98 KLR650, (back home), '99 C-10, 234k miles sold

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 11:19:14 am »
I get that but really That bike is more than my new $74,000, 460Hp Corvette?... My 130Hp Aprilia is $210 a year, and the C14 is $300. All with the same agent, and the same limits of coverage... And it's not like I'm getting rid of anything...

I'll call my agent and make sure that quote was accurate, but DAMMMM, I don't need a $1,400 a year bike.

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Bicycle
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 02:03:06 pm »
I ran into something similar on the C14 this summer. I called the national State Farm number to add it our policy as it was after hours for our agent's office. They set it up at $1400/1500 a year. I called the agents office a couple of weeks later for something else and mentioned this to the very helpful lady and she looked at the fees. Turns out the national folks automatically added uninsured motorist coverage to the bike. In Colorado only one vehicle needs to have this coverage and all others are covered. As the Accord already had this she pulled the uninsured motorist coverage off the bike for a $1200 a year reduction. She said that they have seen this in the past and recommended I call the agent's office as they look at that sort of thing as a normal part of adding a new vehicle. She also refunded the over payment amount. I don't know if the uninsured motorist coverage works the same (single vehicle) nation wide or not.
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 12127
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 11:22:47 pm »
I ran into something similar on the C14 this summer. I called the national State Farm number to add it our policy as it was after hours for our agent's office. They set it up at $1400/1500 a year. I called the agents office a couple of weeks later for something else and mentioned this to the very helpful lady and she looked at the fees. Turns out the national folks automatically added uninsured motorist coverage to the bike. In Colorado only one vehicle needs to have this coverage and all others are covered. As the Accord already had this she pulled the uninsured motorist coverage off the bike for a $1200 a year reduction. She said that they have seen this in the past and recommended I call the agent's office as they look at that sort of thing as a normal part of adding a new vehicle. She also refunded the over payment amount. I don't know if the uninsured motorist coverage works the same (single vehicle) nation wide or not.

Tell me if I read this right!
Some one slams you on your bike and injures you and has no or little insurance, your Honda car insurance will cover your damages by the underinsured motorist!

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 11:39:33 pm »
Washington state doesn’t require motorcycle insurance.

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 01:06:46 am »
That doesn't mean you shouldn't have it.

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 01:09:26 am »

Some one slams you on your bike and injures you and has no or little insurance, your Honda car insurance will cover your damages by the underinsured motorist!

Yes. That's what underinsured protection is. Bad to not have it because of the idiots running around with little or no insurance.

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Bicycle
  • COG#: 12840
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 01:57:45 am »

Correct. And uninsured motorist insurance is required in Colorado.
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline DarenLine

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 04:54:25 am »
My c14 was $250/yr, full coverage in CA, however I was looking for a 2017 ninja 1000 ABS to have a more daily commutable bike in LA traffic and the same coverage cost me $1700/yr, about $500 more than my 2017 BMW s1000rr! Still don’t understand why, but probably insurance folks do since they have more money than I do! Been a few months since I sold my C14, wouldn’t say I regret selling it as had to manage other priorities in life, but among many things I missed about the bike is the low insurance cost... feel free to call me cheap!

Offline rrsperry

• Senior Moment Member
  • Bicycle
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 10:21:58 am »
Washington state doesn’t require motorcycle insurance.

Unfortunately, that isn't an option. My personal liability policy requires that every vehicle is covered.... (at max liability limits no less..) But liability insurance is pretty cheap.. It's the comp and collision that kills you...

Offline jackcarls0n

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 04:03:38 pm »
I am paying 1000+ a year for full coverage on my 18' C14. This was the cheapest I could get. Next year it will drop down to 700 and then goes lower. New bikes have replacement cost included. That means for first 2-3 years you will be able to get MSRP back to buy same bike and not the market value. Thus, the insurance is more expensive. As the bike gets older and no accident, risk is lower. But CC does add to the cost. Comparing the Suzuki 750 to C14, the insurance was 750 for the suzuki.