Author Topic: Lost a saddle bag  (Read 5405 times)

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12267
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Lost a saddle bag
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 02:49:08 am »
The bag was extremely under packed.  This was an overnight.  It had underwear, one pair of shorts, a pair of shoes, one shirt and my bag of toiletries. Maybe 10 lbs at the most.   I have to disagree with the theory that because I take them off all the time that I was gambling.  They are specifically designed to be conveniently taken off and on the bike. Bottom line is it should not fall off and Kawasaki should rectify the problem.  I will reserve judgement on Kawasaki after my dealer gets back to me.  Unfortunately I just happened to read a couple things about the pins and thought it was crazy to have to drill holes in a brand new bike.  I did not know the scope of the problem until after I lost a bag and did a search with a few different key words.  I guess only time will tell, but I am already planning that they will have some lame lawyer written response as to why I have to pay for there faulty design.  I would just be nice if people took responsibility for mistakes and after doing searches and reading about all the problems people have had, it is guaranteed that this is a design mistake.  I do take responsibility for myself and it has cost me in the past, but I sure do sleep good at night.  I guess at this point I can only hope that this post will maybe keep some new person that purchases a connie from losing their bags.  Just glad I didn't have anything very valuable in there. 

Offline JS_racer

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 11:06:18 am »
sorry for the loss, i use the retainer, not pinned.

say, wasn't there something posted about how to tighten the bags up on the mounts ?? mine seem to be very loose, and lift up on the rear quite easily.

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 12:18:30 pm »
I have an extra left bag from a 2008 silver. Can be painted.
If I don't get any type of compensation from the dealer, I would definitely be interested in your bag.  Let me know how much you would want, thanks.

Offline Jeff

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11971
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 12:22:05 pm »
You are most likely screwed.  I did a past post about my bag coming off my 2009.  Contacted Kawasaki long story short they are not going to cover it.  I started posting complaints EVERY week.....two complaints a week for almost 3 months.  First one was for the bag coming off second one was that the first one was not properly resolved.  No response after the original complaint was closed.  You can get an exact replacement bag with a different key for around $400 plus shipping I believe. But your original key may still fit the bag....again sloppy tolerances just like the kind that caused the bag to come off in the first place.  I recently traded my bike for a Triumph but I had the pins that hook under the handrail and I warned the new owner not to use the bags without them. :??:

Offline Jeff

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11971
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 12:29:51 pm »
More about my incident.  It was on Interstate I77 North around Charlotte, NC.  I started hearing a racket and looked back just in time to see the bag come off completely.  Within 10 to 15 seconds 3 or 4 cars had hit it.  One pulled over to the middle cement barrier as did I but he was at least 100 yards ahead of me.  His was the one that demolished it completely....right in the front grill on his car.  Nothing but pieces of the bag left which were subsequently hit and reduced to smaller pieces.  No way I could get up to where he was safely, he pulled off and so did I.

Offline harrykaw

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 9067
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 01:32:46 pm »
Did it do much damage to his car?
COG # 9067
01 Sonic Blue C10, 08 Pearl White Gold Wing
12 Candy Arabian Red C14, 13 Metallic Nocturne Blue C14

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Offline old n slow

• Moped
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2016, 11:15:10 pm »
As I have said before, write your name and some kind of contact info on the bottom OUTSIDE of the side cases, so when they fall off, you can be contacted with out the good samaritan breaking the lock mechanism whilst he tries to find contact info. Maybe write " Reward if returned unopened" also.
Mike D.   

old n slow...it's my way of life☺

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2016, 01:27:46 am »
As I have said before, write your name and some kind of contact info on the bottom OUTSIDE of the side cases, so when they fall off, you can be contacted with out the good samaritan breaking the lock mechanism whilst he tries to find contact info. Maybe write " Reward if returned unopened" also.

$2 for prevention versus repairs + reward if unopened. :(
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2016, 01:58:26 am »

Yup, A no Brainer  :beerchug:
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline old n slow

• Moped
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2016, 02:19:44 am »

Yup, A no Brainer  :beerchug:

Im all for the prevention....I'm just adding a little more icing to the cake.
Mike D.   

old n slow...it's my way of life☺

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11328
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2016, 03:42:11 am »
Which side was it you lost?I will check the one I have,what color is 2012?   Jerry
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later Velorex sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98+88,90+99 Concours for resurrection           CDA#540

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2016, 04:08:54 pm »
It was the gear shifter side (left when sitting on the bike) color is black. Appreciate you looking into this.  The story about the bag coming off on the freeway fits in nicely into what I was trying to say earlier that it is only a matter of time before someone actually gets badly hurt or killed.  In response to all the people that say ,"it's just a couple bucks and a few minutes to make sure the don't fall off" It is not about how easy or cheap it is to remedy the problem, it's mostly the principle and the next problem is there are new people buying these bikes all the time and I guarantee many do not know about this flaw.  If it is so easy and cheap to fix Kawasaki should do it and they should let everyone know about the potential problem.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2016, 07:34:39 pm »
We get the picture....

Please write your letter, and stop the whine....

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline sininja

• Mini Bike
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2016, 08:44:06 pm »
:D

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2016, 08:59:11 pm »
My bad,  Your an ornery old fart aren't you. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2016, 09:14:31 pm »
My bad,  Your an ornery old fart aren't you.

Yep.
I was onery when I was the Tech Editor also, back when the first occurances happened...
And I pushed hard on Kaw, documenting the cases I knew firsthand about, in order to force a recall.... so, yeah, I'm a bit onery...

Peace out...

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2016, 10:45:22 pm »
It was the gear shifter side (left when sitting on the bike) color is black. Appreciate you looking into this.  The story about the bag coming off on the freeway fits in nicely into what I was trying to say earlier that it is only a matter of time before someone actually gets badly hurt or killed.  In response to all the people that say ,"it's just a couple bucks and a few minutes to make sure the don't fall off" It is not about how easy or cheap it is to remedy the problem, it's mostly the principle and the next problem is there are new people buying these bikes all the time and I guarantee many do not know about this flaw.  If it is so easy and cheap to fix Kawasaki should do it and they should let everyone know about the potential problem.
Jeff, We all hear what your saying & agree but the battle has been fought before & more than once. Write your letter so you can at least say you did your part in the grand scheme of things. When you replace your bag take the advice given by everyone here & either pin your bags or buy the aftermarket hold down brackets " I use both" . You will then never have to worry about it happening again.  :beerchug:
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2016, 11:41:56 pm »
Hi,
         I think,"Pope" turned me on to these, pins! :great:

Bought mine at Amazon, and they almost look OEM!!! ;D

Once done, never worry again! :-[
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline jbswear

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 11:45:55 am »
I suppose it's easy to place the blame on Kawasaki for not making the bag retention foolproof but, overall it's my opinion that it works as designed.  A properly installed bag will NOT fall off.  But it's all too easy to not get it latched on properly, either at the top or the bottom and in that case the bag may fall off.  I've done it myself and caught it before getting underway.  It's "operator error".  Yes, losing a bag sucks big-time!  For an investment of about $2.00 and 15 minutes I pinned mine and don't worry about it any longer.

Your opinion, sadly, does not reflect reality.

You're welcome to your opinion, but you aren't welcome to your own facts.

The design is poorly executed.

I lost my bag two days ago when I hit a pothole on the highway.  The only reason I know it fell off was because I saw a guy on his bike, parked by the road.  I gave him the thumbs up/thumbs down sign to see whether he was okay.  He waved his arms and pointed behind me--my bag was sliding down the road.

Sadly, the retaining hook was ground down severely in its slide.  I'll be pinning them, but this bag needs to be replaced.

Now I need to look into that recall and report this issue.

Offline Ronnie

• Training Wheels
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2017, 02:31:40 pm »
I've never had my bags fall off(knock on wood).  I used to take them off every time I stopped at a hotel or somewhere and used them like luggage, but then I bought these and the hard bags haven't been off since.  https://www.amazon.com/Bestem-LGKA-CON14-SDL-R-Saddlebag-Kawasaki-Concours/dp/B001OBVAUI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1497021866&sr=8-3&keywords=kawasaki+concours+14+bags
These liners are awesome and very well made, and so much lighter and easier than lugging the hard cases around.  Just my $.02  ;)

Ronnie

"I swear, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of  stupidity."

Offline TJ

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2017, 05:36:59 pm »
Hi,

Do you happen to know the vendor or item number?  Thanks

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life

Offline Jerdurr

• Road Bike
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2017, 06:45:43 pm »
Hi,

TJ, the brand (Bestem), is sold by different vendors. just look up the brand :)
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2017, 10:13:38 pm »
Hi,

TJ, the brand (Bestem), is sold by different vendors. just look up the brand :)

He was asking about pins, not bag liners... :beerchug: :beerchug:

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2017, 11:41:10 pm »
When it comes to the bags assume nothing. I visually make sure the orange hook is in fact hooked when locking the bags on.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki