Author Topic: Lost a saddle bag  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 4090
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Lost a saddle bag
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2017, 12:06:13 am »
When it comes to the bags assume nothing. I visually make sure the orange hook is in fact hooked when locking the bags on.

I assume my bags will fall off.  :(
That's why I pin them.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2017, 12:22:49 am »
I haven't lost one since I started visually checking the hook engagement.

Oh I guess I need to take that back. Somebody knocked one off that was properly hooked.   >:D
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline jbswear

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2017, 11:45:46 am »
When it comes to the bags assume nothing. I visually make sure the orange hook is in fact hooked when locking the bags on.

That the orange hook is engaged means nothing; mine were engaged and the bag still came off.

Offline scooter trash

• Tricycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12112
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2017, 01:46:16 pm »
Well, it happened to me this last weekend up in Wisconsin. I had heard by word of mouth that people were pinning their bags to avoid this issue but didn't give it much thought after 2 years and 33K miles since I bought it new. My take on it was the same as others, someone forgot to latch, left a key in the bag or something. My bags hadn't been off for several months, hit a bump and off she went (only a few articles of clothing inside). Three riders behind me and one person saw it happen. When we all turned around and went back, one guy had my bag...it was in tact, still latched and closed. If that's not a piss poor design, I don't know what is. Lesson learned, listen to others  :truce:

Offline JD

• Moped
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 03:02:03 pm »
Agree on listening to others! I didn't lose mines, but why risk it? So I went ahead and bought the brackets from eBay (don't feel like drilling on the bags, call me conservative) and voila! I don't quite understand how the brackets will prevent them from flying off, but they do stay on way more snuggly than without them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-14-GTR-1400-All-Years-Saddlebag-Retaining-Brackets-/282573550525?hash=item41cab233bd:m:mdGKJ3leZzehEG9NroLGOSw&vxp=mtr
Best,

JD

--Harley Davidson is king when it comes to turning gas into smoke, without the outcome of power--

Offline Deepsea

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 07:59:48 pm »
++1 on zteve's little wire hooks. I've been using them for 3 years and no problem even with the bags heavily overloaded. They are simple, no drilling, and they work. Just don't lose one. >:(
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2017, 08:14:52 pm »
I put a piece's of brightly colored electrical tape on mine. {with a piece sticking out like a flag}
Red on Left, yellow on right.
Makes it easier to remember which goes on which side,
and,,, If / when I drop them, they are easy to find.

I keep planning to drill / pin the bags, but have not done so,, "yet".

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Pending Proc
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2017, 08:13:59 pm »
one of my first earliest Mods was Zteve's Pins.  :great:
17k later, no bag loss.

Just being Devil's Advocate, but how DO these prevent the bag from coming off the bike???

Pinning is a Physical security device....the pins dont seem to do THAT.

Someone esplain it to me!!

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline COGnosticator

• SE AAD
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG 4478
  • COG#: 4478
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2017, 08:45:29 pm »

gr

If nobody else does, when I get mine in I will let you know   ;D   Thanks JD for posting that link.

On my 2009 I did the drill and pin technique but I "thought" mama kaw fixed it by 2013 but I guess not.  That is why I will try the other way and see, for $26, I have wasted that on who know what.  Maybe these   :rotflmao:
Jerry Holland  COG  4478
2005 BMW R1200GS (1986, 2000, 2001 C10 and 2009 C14 gone but not forgotten)
Man, you were hauling a** the other day when I passed you

Offline scooter trash

• Tricycle
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2017, 09:23:55 pm »
Anyone know if the spring clips are still available? Ebay doesn't have them listed any longer. If not, its pins!

Offline gPink

• Sport Tourer
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2017, 09:35:26 pm »
reach out to zteve...he was on the forum a couple of days ago.
All evil is accomplished by the imposition of will.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2017, 10:18:15 pm »
17k later, no bag loss.

Just being Devil's Advocate, but how DO these prevent the bag from coming off the bike???

gr

I'm not getting what you are asking...
You are calling zteves "clip brackets" pins.... they are not pins...
And if the lock is not actuated, or a key is left in place, they can allow the handle to lift from bumps and such, and they will dislodge. So they do require that you correctly latch the bag, and make sure the lock is actuated, and keys removed...

The "PIN" method is completely different, and will NOT allow vertical movement of the bag at any point, when done correctly. The vertical movement is what causes the latch to open, thus releasing, and with no other "fixed" retaining point, it can be ejected... so,
Pins ain't brackets, and brackets ain't pins... what was your question again???

I find it a bit silly for people to say "I won't drill a hole" and install a pin that costs $2, and spend 10x that because of it.
Then they drill holes and mount lights, switches, farkles, cut their fairings up to install all sorts of farkles.
10 minutes of work, and $4, for a virtually invisible hole, which is not a hole when a pin is installed... is kinda.....silly considering the cost of a bag.
When I came up with this "solution" to kaws bad bag latch, I never tried to sell it... I just shared it... almost 10 years ago,

2 things in life I can wager you will never see:
A dead cat skeletin up in a tree, because it couldn't get down....
And a correctly "pinned bag" bouncing down the road.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Deepsea

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 10376
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2017, 10:41:17 pm »
MOB,
It looks like he's asking how zteves wires work. I have a set and they just lay there unless you do the work of installing them. Then the work just fine. :))
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1, Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline scooter trash

• Tricycle
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2017, 07:00:49 pm »
Thanks for the link. I had to ping zsteve on eBay and got a nasty reply from them (eBay) saying I'm not supposed to try to circumvent eBay (item was no longer listed). Well, my bad but was simply trying to get a set no matter what! Steve relisted them today and I have a set on the way. Thanks all! :beerchug:

Offline connie_rider

• OtP Co-ordinator (USA) (ie: Slave Labor)
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2017, 06:08:06 pm »
MOB,
It looks like he's asking how zteves wires work. I have a set and they just lay there unless you do the work of installing them. Then the work just fine. :))

I agree.

They won't fit if the bag is not attached correctly.
Taking the time to install them helps "make" you take the time to do a proper install of the bags...
Once they are Properly installed, they keep the bag from moving..

NOTE: If you don't lock the bag, they don't accomplish anything!

They are not as good as pinning the bags,,

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II)
03 Connie (Buddy)

To contribute to "OtP", (Chg. Card or paypal)  Click Here
(For Paypal) send to treasurer@cog-online.org

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2017, 06:45:03 pm »
I put a piece's of brightly colored electrical tape on mine. {with a piece sticking out like a flag}
Red on Left, yellow on right.
Makes it easier to remember which goes on which side,
and,,, If / when I drop them, they are easy to find.

I keep planning to drill / pin the bags, but have not done so,, "yet".

Ride safe, Ted

<*SNICKER*> Definitely not a Navy guy. :85:
Everyone knows {except for ted} port side red, starboard side green.

I'm sending you back to school mate.
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"

Offline ghostrider990

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Pending Proc
« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2017, 02:13:08 pm »
17k later, no bag loss.

gr

I'm not getting what you are asking...
You are calling zteves "clip brackets" pins.... they are not pins...
And if the lock is not actuated, or a key is left in place, they can allow the handle to lift from bumps and such, and they will dislodge. So they do require that you correctly latch the bag, and make sure the lock is actuated, and keys removed...

The "PIN" method is completely different, and will NOT allow vertical movement of the bag at any point, when done correctly. The vertical movement is what causes the latch to open, thus releasing, and with no other "fixed" retaining point, it can be ejected... so,
Pins ain't brackets, and brackets ain't pins... what was your question again???

I find it a bit silly for people to say "I won't drill a hole" and install a pin that costs $2, and spend 10x that because of it.
Then they drill holes and mount lights, switches, farkles, cut their fairings up to install all sorts of farkles.
10 minutes of work, and $4, for a virtually invisible hole, which is not a hole when a pin is installed... is kinda.....silly considering the cost of a bag.
When I came up with this "solution" to kaws bad bag latch, I never tried to sell it... I just shared it... almost 10 years ago,

2 things in life I can wager you will never see:
A dead cat skeletin up in a tree, because it couldn't get down....
And a correctly "pinned bag" bouncing down the road.

Holy Jeebus MOB!!
Calm your teets!!  :truce:

You're right, I referred to Zteves as "pins" and that was incorrect.
What I meant, was exactly how do Zteves BRACKETS work...but I think I answered my own question.  ;D

Honestly, I think i'm going to actually PIN my bags, and use Zteve's brackets as well.
I don't see the harm, and it's a cheap but of insurance that truly ensures the bags won't just FALL off.

On another note: does anybody see any adverse effects of laying DOWN a bike and not having the bags actually break-away from the chassis???  Is this perhaps part of the engineering of the mounting system???

gr
..."I like to keep this handy -- for Close Encounters"...

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2017, 07:53:41 pm »
On another note: does anybody see any adverse effects of laying DOWN a bike and not having the bags actually break-away from the chassis???  Is this perhaps part of the engineering of the mounting system???

If that were to happen to me, I'd be more worried about my surviving the incident.
One could argue that keeping the bags on the bike are a way for the bike to absorb impact energy reducing damage to rider.

Let's compare it to hang gliding, a sport I like to participate in even at my advanced age.
I fly with a parachute. If two gliders collide mid air (it happens), the wings can fold in half, resulting in an unpleasant free-fall situation.

What would you do? Bail out and free fall away from the glider, or stay hooked in with the whole mess coming down under canopy?
The correct answer is stay with the whole mess. Turns out the damaged glider will significantly increase your odds of walking away from the crash. The extra drag slows the decent and the aluminum hardware will help absorb the impact energy. After the canopy inflates, you can pull yourself into the center of mass and hope for the best as the sail and aluminum will help protect you.

Back to the bags. I see them as air bags that will act in a similar fashion. If I'm going to slide with the bike, I'm hoping that they will hit something first and reduce the impact.

I sure hope I never find myself in a slide.

Offline 4Bikes

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 9715
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2017, 08:20:24 pm »
I rode with a C-14 owner recently. I asked him if he knew about pinning the bags, since it's possible they can come off. His answer was he drilled the holes and has the pins, but he only uses them when he is going to ride on rough roads. But we were two states from home, and no possible idea what the roads are like.  :-[ :-[
Silver 2011 C-14. Previous rides: KZ-400, KZ-750, KZ-1000.  Keep the rubber side down.  Ride Fast......Live Slow......

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2017, 08:51:06 pm »

If that were to happen to me, I'd be more worried about my surviving the incident.
One could argue that keeping the bags on the bike are a way for the bike to absorb impact energy reducing damage to rider.

Let's compare it to hang gliding, a sport I like to participate in even at my advanced age.
I fly with a parachute. If two gliders collide mid air (it happens), the wings can fold in half, resulting in an unpleasant free-fall situation.

What would you do? Bail out and free fall away from the glider, or stay hooked in with the whole mess coming down under canopy?
The correct answer is stay with the whole mess. Turns out the damaged glider will significantly increase your odds of walking away from the crash. The extra drag slows the decent and the aluminum hardware will help absorb the impact energy. After the canopy inflates, you can pull yourself into the center of mass and hope for the best as the sail and aluminum will help protect you.

Back to the bags. I see them as air bags that will act in a similar fashion. If I'm going to slide with the bike, I'm hoping that they will hit something first and reduce the impact.

I sure hope I never find myself in a slide.

Harry, I hope you never have to test that scenario on a hang glider...
Have you ever trained and jumped with a parachute?
After what seems like a lifetime of grilling during your training sessions, you are ingrained with the:
" step off the step, arch, look, reach, pulll...... 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, ....5000...... look over your shoulder and ascertain why the chute has not opened, it should have...."
If the chute actually deployed, and was a "streamer", where the chute is still in the sock all stretched out, and tangled, or if you have a "Mae West", a twisted partially inflated, or inflated but the lines went over the canopy, and created a pair of breast shaped mini chutes, which will soon fain as the lines chew thru the canopy.....
Its "cutaway time", you reach over and find the reserve chute handle... then reach up, and release both chute harness clips... and free all again while pulling and punching the reserve to deploy it... if the original chute deploys, but the lines are all twisted, you hold the reserve chute closed, pull the ring, unfold the flaps, while keeping the chute against the body, and with both hands, grab the reserve, and "throw it out away from you FORCFULLY".. so it catches air.

Opening a chute, under another one is really iffy, it won't catch air, and won't inflate, because air is being forced downward from the upper chute...
Its not for the timid....

I bgan jumping on modified T-10 chutes, prior to the real popularity of "wings", last qualifying jump I had with a "dummy ripchord pull" static line rig, to get my free all stamp, I had a "sock streamer", because I rolled during the first 50' of the jump, everyone does it sooner or later.. just happens...

So..... I look up, over my shoulder, and see plane, streamer, static line, and jump master... who is tapping his helmet furiously,nwhile holding a knife to cut the chord.... I was being towed along at speed... and he wanted me "off"..
I grudgingly returned the "helmet tap", and felt the accleration downwards as I released the main harness and deployed my reserve... plenty of time to spare, but a pucker moment for sure.
Got my certification that day, and made 2 freefalls that afternoon...

So, cutaway from the wreckage, and deploy the chute... please....a chute only works when it ain't tangled up in a mess of tubes and nylon fabric...
Sokeone asked me a few months ago, if id be interested in doing some jumps... I thought about it, and thought about what Guy Young and I were joking about a few years ago, and when we both looked at each other and said "naaahhhhh been there..." I turned down the invite.

As for bags or no bags, in a laid down bike, or crashed gently bike, I vote bags on... simply because without them, its a real p.I.t.a. to get this bike upright, and bagless, the bike is like, almost upside down, with tires off the ground a foot...
Hernia time.

Ride safe y'all,

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2017, 01:58:15 am »
So, cutaway from the wreckage, and deploy the chute... please....a chute only works when it ain't tangled up in a mess of tubes and nylon fabric...
Sokeone asked me a few months ago, if id be interested in doing some jumps... I thought about it, and thought about what Guy Young and I were joking about a few years ago, and when we both looked at each other and said "naaahhhhh been there..." I turned down the invite.

MOB,

Hang gliders, harnesses, and chutes don't work that way. Our conical chutes are much different and how they attach. We been doing it this way for the last 40 years and it's a proven system. Our bodies are packed into padded pod harnesses with no way to quick release. You IS strapped in for the ride at a single attachment point, a carabiner, that connects you to the glider. Even when the chutes fail to completely deploy, there is still enough drag from the wreckage to have a survivable crash. I watched a friend's glider fail once where his leading edge snapped from the g-forces (early badly designed wing). He threw his chute and it got tangled in the wing. However, his wing was spinning so badly, there was no way to cut loose even if he wanted to. He pulled his chute back in and tried again. This time it fully deployed. It opened just as he went passing thru power lines and started a fire. He walked away after climbing out from under the glider. These wings only weigh about 60 pounds. There was another incident where the chute would not open, but the glider was spinning so badly, it just floated down like a dead leaf. Pilot only suffered scratches. There was a time we experimented with ballistic chutes. Only problem there was the rocket would bore a hole thru the wing and cause other problems.

I know of only one pilot who successfully cut free from his glider with a hook knife cause he was sucked into a cloud and that was his only means of escape. He free fell until he got below the clouds and knew he was safe from the vertical rising air.

Anyway, I like the bags staying on. I like to think of them as air bags.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2017, 02:41:10 am »
 :great: :great:

That's why I never tried hang gliding.... ;)