Author Topic: Lost a saddle bag  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12267
  • Membership Level: Active
Lost a saddle bag
« on: August 18, 2016, 03:32:39 am »
Was in Minneapolis this weekend, got home and somewhere in that 35 miles lost my saddle bag. I have read many threads about pinning bags, but most were all about just piece of mind.  My thinking was I purchased this bike 2 years ago brand new and I really shouldn't have to drill holes in it to perform how it's suppose to.  Well, I was wrong.  I am in talks with the dealer now about warranty, as this bike has never been abused and really a person should not have to worry about a saddle bag coming off a brand new bike that has never been laid down or even a scratch. I have just a couple questions. Has anyone else had their side bag fall off? If this a common problem, has Kawasaki made any attempts to make the side bags on the newer models more secure for normal driving? My bike is a 2012, do the newer bikes have the same latching system? Can't wait to find out what the dealer and Kawasaki will do.  Dreading the price of a new side bag if they refuse to do anything.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
Re: Lost a saddle bag
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 03:48:31 am »
Well, long story shortened.... yep, when they started popping off way back in 07-08, and I and others reported it to Kaw, a latch retrofit recall came out.. and somewhere in late 09 all bags complied... but as they compliance also had multiple stickers applied to the bag, showing its correct attachement, and how to make sure it was firmly in place, all liability becoam something to rest upon the owners shoulders.... soooo.
In the end, you either pinned the bag, or hoped it didn't hop off... I will say the recall did address some of the issue, but the only sure cure was the small simple drill and pin... and forget about anything further...
Sorry, but that's a way of life, and I wish you the best of luck getting a new one from Kaw.
When you do, maybe do a search here for the pin procedure, because I doubt they will gjve you a second one...

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 03:53:30 am »
Sorry to beat a dead horse....My original search was "side bag" and really didn't find what I was looking for.  Just spent a fair amount of time reading after searching "saddlebag" and found most of my answers.  Would still love to hear how many people have actually lost a saddlebag.  Unfortunately those numbers will not represent how many saddlebags would have been lost since it sounds like most have bags pinned.  Just looking for more ammo as I go to war with Kawasaki and dealer.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 03:56:53 am »
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=27049.msg108065#msg108065

Sorry, when they started popping free, most people followed my suggestions, and imply never had an issue...
Since the bike came out, id have to say I've seen about  a dozen reported cases, but that's a small cross section of people as the only people reporting them here, totals about 10% of bikes sold total.

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW

Offline The Wizard

• Been riding since I was 9 yrs.old.getting to be old fart.
  • Crotch Rocket
  • 'match need with source(used parts)'
    • have a need find a source/parts are parts
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11328
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 10:03:00 am »
I don't have a C14 but I know without a doubt one fell off a C14 about 20 miles from here.Ad here and on Craigslist and nobody claimed it.Have no idea the year but it is silver,if that might help you?   The Wizard
1964 Honda 55,1971 Honda CL 100,numerous Honda 350 twins,1971 Honda CL 450,1974 Honda CB 750(stolen),1971 Moto Guzzi Ambasador/Velorex sidecar,1975 Kawasaki Z1B
1976 Honda Goldwing (fully dressed)1973 Honda CB 450,1982 Yamaha Virago 750
1977 BMW R100/7(full dress) later velorex      sidecar mounted,1978 Yamaha XS750,1987 BMW K100RS
1996 Honda shadow 1100 ace,2000 Kawasaki Concours,1998,99,98,98 Concours for ressurection + a '98 coming               CDA#540

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 10:20:42 am »
No drilling required with Zteve's bag retention brackets.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=473.0

۾

The video is pretty long so advancing the progress bar to 4.40 will get you to the actual bag loss.
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
  • COG#: 9403
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 10:46:23 am »
I lost one of the retention brackets.  :(
All evil is accomplished by the imposition of will.

Offline EZ

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11785
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 10:54:50 am »

+1^^^  Very simple and effective.

As long as you don' lose them.  :-X
Thank God you're alive every time you arrive!

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 11:13:08 am »

+1^^^  Very simple and effective.

As long as you don' lose them.  :-X
:-[

Offline jwh20

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 11:24:31 am »
I suppose it's easy to place the blame on Kawasaki for not making the bag retention foolproof but, overall it's my opinion that it works as designed.  A properly installed bag will NOT fall off.  But it's all too easy to not get it latched on properly, either at the top or the bottom and in that case the bag may fall off.  I've done it myself and caught it before getting underway.  It's "operator error".  Yes, losing a bag sucks big-time!  For an investment of about $2.00 and 15 minutes I pinned mine and don't worry about it any longer.
2012 Concours 14 Arabian Red
"Debbie Downer" according to some...

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 11:56:24 am »
I do NOT believe that the bag was improperly installed "operator error", but that goes about as far as you stating that every bag that has fallen off is operator error. At any rate this is officially being reported to the NHTSA.  Their site has no reports on it yet. Only reports of the main 30 amp fuse blowing when over farkled (especially police version of bike).  This bag issue is definitely a safety problem.  How would like to be riding behind someone that hasn't heard of this bag problem at one of our COG events.  That would be a fun object to try to avoid.  Also, I think of my bag bouncing down a 4 lane highway with cars everywhere. Wouldn't be to hard to bounce up and go through someones windshield.  I would recommend anyone that has had a bag fall off after the improved version of the latch to report it also.  I am waiting to hear from dealer.  I definitely will be writing Kawi and let them know that most of the time, doing the right thing is the hardest thing, but still the right thing. I know it would be a cost, but a letter and supplying safety pines would be the right thing. Supplying bags or at least reduced price bags to people that have lost them would be the right thing.  Love my bike, but lost some respect for Kawi.

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 12:38:08 pm »

<snip  Their site has no reports on it yet. Only reports of the main 30 amp fuse blowing when over farkled (especially police version of bike).  <snip>

should be some faulty ABS unit reports?

Online seagiant1

• Sport Tourer
  • COG#: 11323
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 03:02:26 pm »
I suppose it's easy to place the blame on Kawasaki for not making the bag retention foolproof but, overall it's my opinion that it works as designed.  A properly installed bag will NOT fall off.  But it's all too easy to not get it latched on properly, either at the top or the bottom and in that case the bag may fall off.  I've done it myself and caught it before getting underway.  It's "operator error".  Yes, losing a bag sucks big-time!  For an investment of about $2.00 and 15 minutes I pinned mine and don't worry about it any longer.

Hi,
        Yep, never a problem but ordered 2 pins and it's a 10 minute job! (if you take your time!) ;D

If you pin it you are done, never going to lose the pin, or the bag, and you can't hardly see it if your not looking! (the pin!) :great:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it"
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 03:25:45 pm »
gPink, Yes, there are a handful of faulty abs claims.

Offline SilverConnieRider

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11953
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 04:39:22 pm »
Sorry I can't help you with a report of losing a saddlebag - OK I'm not really sorry.  ;D

I wasn't keen on drilling holes either.

I think it was Fred (not to sure) that suggested using Velcro to tighten up the fit and reduce the wiggle room.

I did that and it seems to have been an improvement.  I may add another set of Velcro to the set there to tighten it up even a little more.

The way they come form the factory there seems to be too much wiggle room and I can see how they might come off after a big bump or bumps.

Offline Conrad

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 04:54:35 pm »
I lost one of the retention brackets.  :(

At least one of your bags is safe.  ;D

Hi,
        Yep, never a problem but ordered 2 pins and it's a 10 minute job! (if you take your time!) ;D

If you pin it you are done, never going to lose the pin, or the bag, and you can't hardly see it if your not looking! (the pin!) :great:

If GP can lose one of his retention brackets then someone can certainly lose one of their pins.

An added benefit of the retention brackets is that the bags are just a touch more secure from theft than with the pins. I did say just a touch. If someone wants one of your bags they are going to have it regardless.
2008 C-14 ABS
Northern Illinois

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

Offline gPink

• Iron Butt
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 05:21:01 pm »
gPink, Yes, there are a handful of faulty abs claims.
Thanks Jeff

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 05:38:43 pm »
When I bought my '08, it came equipped with the retention brackets so the PO knew about the issue. I've ridden over some rough railroad tracks and in general some pot hole roads and have not lost a bag, so I can attest that the brackets work tremendously!! The fact that it's also simple when I do need to remove the bags is another plus. But beware like gPink noted, you can lose these after they're off. :)

2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Online TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 05:50:15 pm »
Having lost bags before, I visually inspect to make sure the locking tab is in fact properly engaged. I assume nothing. I rattle the bag to make sure it is secure. When the bags have come flying off, the bag was empty or with less than a couple of ponds in it.
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline CW

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 10:10:01 pm »
To OP: wonder how long before the loss was the last time you had your bag off? Have you ever had it off? If youve ridden two years and 12,000 miles since last having the bag off, for example, it would be very hard to attribute the loss to operator error. OTOH, if you had R&R'd the bag the previous evening, well, then, that's food for thought.

As for me, I've had my C-14 for 5 years, and 30,ooo miles, and bet the bags haven't been off in over 2 years. I pinned them anyway.
2010 Neptune blue C-14
2009 KLR
2103 DR-Z400S

Offline Jeff

• Training Wheels
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 10:26:58 pm »
In my case I had them off that morning.  I take them off all the time when we stay in hotels.  Very convenient.  They really are slick....if they would stay on the fricking bike.  When ever I put them on I give them a couple tugs to make sure they are secure. It didn't matter one lick in my situation.  I contacted the Minnesota state patrol, St. Croix County Sheriffs department, and Hudson police in case someone turns it in or they spot it on there rounds.  Also the MN dot.  Also put an ad on craigslist.  Not looking good for me, almost been a week.  Oh well, its only money, I will make more.  I have been watching ebay and craigslist.  Anyone purchase the aftermarket (Mutazu) replacement bags?  Any feedback on those would be great.  $400 is a little easier to swallow.

Offline robertv

• Street Cruiser
  • Go Hawks!
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 10:40:18 pm »
Out of curiosity, was the bag overpacked and over the weight limit? I'm only asking as I don't know the exact spec limits are, but have been careful not to go over 20-25lbs.
2008 C14, silver [current]
2000 C10, red [sold]

Offline n3nman

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 12142
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2016, 01:03:57 am »
I have an extra left bag from a 2008 silver. Can be painted.

Offline Zarticus

• Crotch Rocket
  • Fanboy, Sludge wearer, Proud Rotella user !
  • COG#: 10785
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 01:22:25 am »
I also have a 2012 I bought new. I read on this forum & other places about the "possibility" of a bag coming off since before I even bought my bike 3 1/3 years ago. I rolled the dice for almost 2 years & never pinned them. I finally decided that why gamble & take the chance so I pinned them 1 1/2 years ago. I will now never have to worry about it. So Should they fall off as attached by the factory ? No, But why take the chance. Especially if you take them off all the time the odds start to add up as is what happened to you. If you are now just finding out about the potential problem & about pinning them then that sucks but if you knew about or read about people recommending pinning them in the past then you took the gamble.
2012 Kawasaki Concours, Arabian Red
1986 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna, Black
1983 Honda V45 Sabre, Red

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Street Cruiser
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 02:33:40 am »
Sorry to hear about your loss. Here's how I pinned my bags.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=65227.msg528722#msg528722
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 1986 Vintage "Silverdammit" - 2015 "Greendammit"