Author Topic: Lowering pegs /slip on exhaust  (Read 1550 times)

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12127
  • Membership Level: Active
Lowering pegs /slip on exhaust
« on: March 04, 2018, 07:07:49 pm »
I put AST lowering pegs on the 14, ( yes I am aware of the risk buying with AST) ,I plan on buying a after market slip on soon, the website says some midpipes on the after market pipes may pose a problem with the lowering peg brackets clearing the pipe,

My question is if you have the AST brackets and a slip on which do you have and did it pose a problem with installation or which do you have that did not pose a problem with installation!

Thanks

Offline d04011

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Lowering pegs /slip on exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 08:31:51 pm »
I have the AST lowering pegs kit and a 2 Brothers carbon fiber can.  No problems with installation or fitting of either. 
2016 ZX-14R SE
2015 C-14 Concours
2014 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
2012 H-D Fat Bob
2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:16:52 pm »
I have the AST lowering pegs kit and a 2 Brothers carbon fiber can.  No problems with installation or fitting of either.

Thank you, that is my second choice of a pipe ,but if it is not a problem I might bump it up to top spot!

Offline d04011

• Bicycle
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:35:46 pm »
I liked the 2 Brothers CF so much I bought 2 for my ZX-14R. I really like the looks and sound.  When I had the OEM muffler, I got tired of my friends waiting to start their bikes so I could start my C-14 and hear it running.  Otherwise I sometimes had to look at the tach... ::)  Big bonus was that it eliminated lots of ugly weight as well! :great:
2016 ZX-14R SE
2015 C-14 Concours
2012 H-D Fat Bob

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12697
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:09:17 pm »
Have you considered the Area-P slip-on?  Looks and sounds fantastic and the customer service is outstanding!

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
Peg lower and slip on
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 11:46:10 pm »
 I put a set of AST peg lowering kit on my Connie and now I want to put a aftermarket slip on ,does anybody have the AST lowering peg kit and an aftermarket slip on already?what slip on did you use?on the website it says that they may cause problems with mounting slip on pipe what’s your experience with this.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: Forum
Re: Peg lower and slip on
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 07:17:04 pm »
I had the pegs lowered and ran a 2 Brothers pipe. The only problem was the wife's toes got warm so I wrapped the pipe in front of the peg.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline connie_rider

• "OtP" {retired/assistant} Slave Labor
  • I Need a Life
  • Help us make "OtP" possible! "AGAIN"
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 4154
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 01:31:02 am »
FTB, are you referring to lowering the rider's pegs or the passenger's?
My passenger pegs are {AST} lowered. Work fine with a Area P Slip on.

Ride safe, Ted
14 Connie (Traveler II) / 03 Connie (Buddy)
Gone but not forgotten; 87 and 00 Connies..

If your not already a COGger, "consider becoming one".
Help us make "OtP" possible again, DO IT NOW!!

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 03:11:40 am »
FTB, are you referring to lowering the rider's pegs or the passenger's?
My passenger pegs are {AST} lowered. Work fine with a Area P Slip on.

Ride safe, Ted

Referring to the riders pegs, no passenger allowed !

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 03:13:13 am »
I had the pegs lowered and ran a 2 Brothers pipe. The only problem was the wife's toes got warm so I wrapped the pipe in front of the peg.
You are the second person I have read o use the Two Brothers, might get that one since it seems to work, thanks.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 03:34:42 am »
That was the passenger pegs. I’m now using Murph’s lowered rider pegs with a full Area P system. No problems.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 12:35:24 am »
You are the second person I have read o use the Two Brothers, might get that one since it seems to work, thanks.
FTB530, I also have the AST lowered pegs. I was hoping to use a Delkevic slip on but after messaging a guy here that had the Delkevic without the AST pegs, he measured the distance between the pivot point of the brake linkage (which is the lowest point that would contact the pipe) and the stock pegs and his did not have the 1 3/8" of clearance that was needed. I didn't want to get into having the pipe tube mashed down 1/2" so it would have proper clearance. Please let us know how this works out for you.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 01:55:06 am »
FTB530, I also have the AST lowered pegs. I was hoping to use a Delkevic slip on but after messaging a guy here that had the Delkevic without the AST pegs, he measured the distance between the pivot point of the brake linkage (which is the lowest point that would contact the pipe) and the stock pegs and his did not have the 1 3/8" of clearance that was needed. I didn't want to get into having the pipe tube mashed down 1/2" so it would have proper clearance. Please let us know how this works out for you.

I haven’t ordered a pipe yet, sent a email to Delkavic today. And trying to find out if the CS 1 will work, so far one person told me they have the lowering brackets and a Two Brothers slip on, May end up with that pipe!

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 05:11:56 am »
Have you considered the Area-P slip-on?  Looks and sounds fantastic and the customer service is outstanding!

Yes I have looked at them too, there are three or four slip ones I looked at  , I am not set on a specific one. I am just trying to find information if anyone has installed a slip on with the AST lowering brackets before I make a purchase! I will keep the stock can if I can’t find one that will work with the lower pegs in place,

Offline Speedy

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 04:52:21 pm »
I have a Delk and contacted AST regarding their lowering bracket and AST recommended against it with the Delk.  It's too bad because I like their solution best.  Ended up going with Murph's lower pegs and they work fine with the Delk exhaust.
2012 Connie - Black is Beautiful! - Current (EVO Flashed)
2015 FZ09 - Matte Grey - Current
2001 CBR 929 RR - Sold
1995 CBR 600 F3 - Sold
1984 VF 700 F - Sold

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 05:10:13 pm »
I have a Delk and contacted AST regarding their lowering bracket and AST recommended against it with the Delk.  It's too bad because I like their solution best.  Ended up going with Murph's lower pegs and they work fine with the Delk exhaust.
I have a set of Murph’s pegs too, may end up swapping them out when I decide which pipe I want or which pipe will work with either lowering parts!

Offline Doc

• Training Wheels
  • COG#: 12697
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 01:38:46 pm »

Yes I have looked at them too, there are three or four slip ones I looked at  , I am not set on a specific one. I am just trying to find information if anyone has installed a slip on with the AST lowering brackets before I make a purchase! I will keep the stock can if I can’t find one that will work with the lower pegs in place,

Sorry can’t help with AST.  Plenty of room with Murph’s pegs and Area-P slip-on.

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 03:53:05 pm »

I have the Two Brothers on the way already and the AST brackets mounted, BUT I also have a set of Murph’s lowering pegs in waiting if I need to change them around!

Sorry can’t help with AST.  Plenty of room with Murph’s pegs and Area-P slip-on.

Offline Road Runner

• Moped
  • Beep! Beep! ... yeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 11:46:40 pm »
I put AST lowering pegs on the 14, ( yes I am aware of the risk buying with AST) ,I plan on buying a after market slip on soon, the website says some midpipes on the after market pipes may pose a problem with the lowering peg brackets clearing the pipe,

My question is if you have the AST brackets and a slip on which do you have and did it pose a problem with installation or which do you have that did not pose a problem with installation!

Thanks

Sorry, don't have AST lowering pegs, but I have the ProjectD lowering bracket w/ a Two Brothers slip-on. That setup worked for me. Sorry, can't help with yours.
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 03:40:40 pm »
Didn't we already have the same conversation in another thread? Why the need for another??

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 05:54:51 pm »
Didn't we already have the same conversation in another thread? Why the need for another??

I Merged the two so now there is one. Now back to the regularly scheduled program. (topic) 
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline flashback50

• Scooter
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2018, 09:46:15 pm »

I Merged the two so now there is one. Now back to the regularly scheduled program. (topic)

Thanks TimR.  I wasn't trying to be rude. It was just hard to follow what is going on in two simultaneous threads.  :beerchug:

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 01:04:46 am »

Thanks TimR.  I wasn't trying to be rude. It was just hard to follow what is going on in two simultaneous threads.  :beerchug:

Sorry I didn’t know I made two different post!

Offline FTB530

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 01:19:11 am »
Well it didn’t work out for me today, the brake cable contacts the pipe, I’m going to loosen it all up tomorrow and see if I can twist the midpipe and get any where, if not off come the AST parts!

Offline d04011

• Bicycle
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 07:28:23 am »
It fits really close on mine but it works.  No problems over the last 2+ years.  Maybe put a washer or two inside the lowered peg to offset it out a bit?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:32:20 am by d04011 »
2016 ZX-14R SE
2015 C-14 Concours
2012 H-D Fat Bob