Author Topic: Lowering the foot pegs  (Read 285 times)

Offline Tector

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Pending Proc
  • Membership Level: Active
Lowering the foot pegs
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:51:50 am »
I'm a little boggled at all the options for lowering the foot pegs on a Concours 1400.  Can anyone tell me:  which lowering kit lowers the foot pegs the most, and do any of them move your feet forward as well?  Failing that, can anyone give me feedback on which brand (or brands) they have tried, and how they worked out?  Thanks.

Offline ron203

• Officer
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 9847
  • Membership Level: Area Director
Re: Lowering the foot pegs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 12:40:50 pm »
I had the Murph's peg lowering kit on my C-10 and liked it, so I tried the C-14 version. I didn't like it because while it lowered a lot, I (for some reason) never could quite get the brake pedal adjusted to my liking.

I tried the AST lowering BRACKETS which lower the whole assembly and like it a lot. I did however, have to dremel out the heat shield so the clearance was right. Mixed results posted from folks about buying from AST, but I emailed about 4 pm EST and asked if the product was  in stock and would it ship right away if I ordered immediately?. Ryan answered right away and shipped the next day. There's also a member on here with an AST lowering kit listed for sale, too.
2014 C-14
2008 Goldwing

Offline OP

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 02:57:52 pm »
I'm a little boggled at all the options for lowering the foot pegs on a Concours 1400.  Can anyone tell me:  which lowering kit lowers the foot pegs the most, and do any of them move your feet forward as well?  Failing that, can anyone give me feedback on which brand (or brands) they have tried, and how they worked out?  Thanks.

All of them will lower about the same, the difference is how it is done.
A lot of people here have Murphs; this is just a peg replacement that requires a few adjustments for the brake and gear change.
You can also install Buell pegs that do almost the same.
Then there's the AST set, which installs a plate to lower your original pegs... some people with aftermarket exhaust (my case with a full system) can not use this since it does require to cut a little piece of the heat shield.

Hope it helps!

Offline Dirtwiz

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12372
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 04:59:46 pm »
On the AST peg lowing setup you will have to cut the heat shield out a bit even on the stock exhaust. I cut out an area about the size of a silver dollar but kind of oblong to fit my stock exhaust. I bought my kit from AST and it came with the wrong hardware shims and bushings so had to make my own which was a hassle. Once fitted this kit works great though and brake and shifter adjust easily. I recommend buying Murphs Bearinged up shifter kit to go with this since it really smooths our the shifter with good ball bearings. Best $21 you will ever spend and really helps since the kit changes the angle of the shifter a bit and you will feel the difference for sure. Most aftermarket slip-ons won't fit the AST kit without some fairly serious mods to the pipe so know for sure if you are ever going to put a different pipe on it. A Delkevic slip-on is one that won't work without lots of work, and Two Brothers slip-on didn't work for some people either. I think an Area P slip-on will work but check with others here to be sure.
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't. Without data you are just another guy with an opinion.

Offline gsun

• Sport Tourer
  • CDA #560
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9127
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 09:20:24 pm »
Murphs work great. I didn’t even adjust the shifter or brake. Just got used to it. My boot fits under and is comfortable.