Author Topic: M1 10W-40 full synthetic high mileage oil  (Read 390 times)

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
M1 10W-40 full synthetic high mileage oil
« on: April 14, 2019, 10:11:04 pm »
Hi Guys, so I was just reading the thread on the 15W-50 oil? one guy said just don't use the M1 advanced fuel economy oil? I used the M1 10W-40 advanced full synthetic high mileage oil (for engines with over 75000 miles) it was a good price. can this mess my clutch up? Jim

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Sport Tourer
  • AREA: Southeast Area
Re: M1 10W-40 full synthetic high mileage oil
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 11:58:21 pm »
Does it have a picture of a motorcycle on the front?   No?   Do not use that in your bike ( there are oils that will not have a pic of a bike but only  if the next specification is present will be safe to use it in your bike))
Does the specifications on the back of the bottle say JASO-MA approved or JASO-MA2 approved? No?  Do not use that in your bike.
 Will you ruin the clutch.? Absolutely with out a doubt guaranteed. . Nothing will fix it either.
 You have to replace the clutch pack. No matter how many subsequent oil changes you do ....it will not stop the clutch from slipping.

Sorry about your bike. You put friction modifiers into the friction plates (super slippery stuff) which embeds itself into  the friction pads
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:04:48 am by Daytona_Mike »
Normally aspirated engines have perpetual turbo lag
2000 Red C10 1052 kit
2008  C14 Silver Dammit Full AreaP- Flies are put back in SISF_Flash
2011  KLR650   688 piston ported and polished
2011  KTM 530    This thing is FUN!!

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:55:11 am »
Ive put 1000 miles on this oil. It's not slipping. If I change to good oil now maybe it will pull through? IDK what to do now. Warm it up and change to the spectral 10w40 and hope for the best

Offline oldnslo_MO

• Scooter
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 9924
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 11:26:44 am »
Does it have a picture of a motorcycle on the front?   No?   Do not use that in your bike ( there are oils that will not have a pic of a bike but only  if the next specification is present will be safe to use it in your bike))
Does the specifications on the back of the bottle say JASO-MA approved or JASO-MA2 approved? No?  Do not use that in your bike.
 Will you ruin the clutch.? Absolutely with out a doubt guaranteed. . Nothing will fix it either.
 You have to replace the clutch pack. No matter how many subsequent oil changes you do ....it will not stop the clutch from slipping.

Sorry about your bike. You put friction modifiers into the friction plates (super slippery stuff) which embeds itself into  the friction pads
:iagree:
happy trails  2016 concours14,2010 bmw k1300ggt, 2015 bmw r1200rt, 09 concours14, 75 kawasaki H1   500cc*79 triumph bonneville750* 2 each  82su zuki gs1100e* 05 yamaha fz1 1100* 03 yamaha fz1 1100*01 goldwing 1800*97 goldwing 1500* 93 goldwing 1500* 80 kawasaki vulcan 1500*76 kawasaki kz650* 66 triumph Bonneville 650* 68 triumph tr 650* 72 norton commando750* 70 bsa rocket III 750*  68 hon cb350* 66 hon cb305*1960 BSA golden flash 500cc*1950 cushman

Offline ghostrider990

• Crotch Rocket
  • COG#: 12649
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 12:19:18 pm »
Yeah, dump it fast before the additives bond with your friction plates.

You might be okay, but I guarantee you won't be if you leave that stuff in there.

Hurry!

The WORST case scenario is, that you'd have to replace your Clutch Pack - and honestly, that's NOT the worst thing in the world.  Your engine will be fine.

gr
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:35:55 pm by ghostrider990 »
My Horns have Horns.

Offline Jim

• Tricycle
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:14:50 pm »
Dumping it tonight. Gonna put in mogul 10w40 syn. Oil

Offline flashback50

• Road Bike
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:28:16 pm »
The 10w40 oil will have NO effect on your clutch. 10w40 oils do not have the additives that could affect your clutch. You are good to go. If the circle seal on the container does not say "energy conserving" you are safe. None of the 10w40 weight oils has this. So do not dump good oil. The guys who say only use motorcycle oil are misinformed. You have done no damage and will do none running this oil.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:32:43 pm by flashback50 »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 11:03:04 pm »
I wouldn't pour it in a wet clutch motorcycle, that's for sure...
if it says "High Mileage".. it's a no go in my book...  show me it's actual rating for motorcycle use... please.....
Applications
Mobil 1 High Mileage oils are recommended for vehicles with over 75,000 miles including passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

•  Mobil 1 High Mileage oils are suitable for many types of severe driving applications including high speed highway and stop and go city driving.

•  Mobil 1 High Mileage is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/NAXXMobil-1-High-Mileage-Oils

if it is not stated on the container

JASO MA2 certified,

then simply don't pour it in.

further reading, as that specific oil did NOT have a ACEA "Cx" rating, ,eaning OK for Cat installed engines,
and I still can't find a JASO on it...

ACEA A3/B3 is car and truck, not wet clutch bike oil...

https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

I really need to ride over, and talk to some of my industry friends at this place, and pick the brains so to speak, I haven't in a longtime, and its like 2 miles from my house...
Maybe they can give me some interesting info, about suitable safe lubricants.

https://www.lubrizol.com/Lubricant-and-Fuel-Additives/Engine-Oil-Additives/ACEA/Sequences/ACEA-A3B3-10

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:42:19 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline flashback50

• Road Bike
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 12:17:29 am »
Just because oils don't say JASO certified does not make them dangerous in a wet clutch. It only means the mfg. didn't spend the money to have them certified. That Mobil1 10w40 will be no more dangerous to a wet clutch than the Mobil1 15w50 that Steve ok'd in another thread. I have owned about 15 motorcycles over the last 45 years and have never put motorcycle specific oil in any of them and never had an issue with the wet clutches. Oil is basically Oil and the only major difference between most oils is really just the additive package. The Mobil1 10w40  will have sufficient Phosphorous and Zinc to protect the engine and does not have friction modifiers that would cause wet clutch slippage. Using the proper viscosity is the more important concern.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 12:38:58 am by flashback50 »

Offline Clip67

• Training Wheels
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 06:04:27 am »
If the circle seal on the container does not say "energy conserving" you are safe.

This was my understanding as well. It's the "energy conserving" additives that can harm the clutch.

With that said, I think the motorcycle specific oil is worth the few extra bucks...

Offline Phil

• Bicycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 03:42:26 pm »

•  Mobil 1 High Mileage is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Though I agree to not use the oil. I mean, why use it when there are plenty of oils actually made for the application? I'm curious why you highlighted this particular line in bold? The C-14 engine isn't 2-cycle or an aviation engine the last time I checked?  :))

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 06:30:26 pm »
seeing as the O/P posted, that he used Mobile 1 "ADVANCED FORMULA HIGH MILEAGE" full synthetic product..

I made my comments..

I realize everyone uses "Mobil 1 Synthetic".... which IS in fact, a different product...

so, I guess reading comprehension on my part, about "additives" and "seal conditioner stuff", in the link I gave about the HIGH MILEAGE oil... is lacking... ::) ::)  and doesn't apply... ::) ::) ::)

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/NAXXMobil-1-High-Mileage-Oils

I read it, and it's pretty clear...
It's sold as a Synthetic for use on OLDER car/truck engines...at a higher price ..
and even tho it doesn't say "it doesn't contain friction modifiers"on the jug, who's to say say "it doesn't"..
meh... :truce:
it's not my bike, so I don't care.

Offline RC

• Tricycle
  • COG#: 8008
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 07:00:23 pm »
I'm guessing the high mileage M1 oil has a higher TBN to deal with extra blow-by, along with more detergent. The warning to change frequently for 2-3 changes if the motor is sludged at least points to more detergent. But sludge? Hasn't motor oil that meets standards for the last 10-20 years been sludge resistant?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 08:14:27 pm »
some valid points there;
Blowby is the big concern, that was in effect why the JASO ratings began actually... (not specifically the MA/MA2) as many "vehicles" suffered from oil burning, and thus needed some stricter guidelines that API and ACEA hadn't really addressed) also why that oil isn't recommended for 2 Cycle, or Airplane use...
The whole diatribe about "not wanting to pay for a JASO rating", simply makes no sense..
they paid for it to sell their 4t Motorcycle specific oil... so what gives? $$$ is the factor, and if you ask them, they will probably tell you you need the Motorcycle oil...as it's the most expensive oil they have.. of course they don't want to say the simple Mobil 1 Synthetic (not the high mile stuff) is ok..  I digress, because I will use an SAE 7/16" wrench on an 11mm hex head, to remove the bolt...  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
The notations about "sludge", and repeated changes to remove same,(and in my mind, a total b/s way of backing out of any liability) using that oil, pretty much exemplify that "older" vehicles may have been running sub-par oils in the past, and may have had periods of inactivity... 50's, 60's, and even 70's oils, all tho fine at the time, did propagate internal sludge... sometimes it was extraordinary like up under the valve covers, and return drain holes..and under the timing chain covers, etc.

I'm sure in 20 years, we will see the effects, in some manner, maybe good or bad, of how the newest synthetic oil formats, that have been engineered to actually "thicken" when heated (and also to return to it's 'cold pour" quality), rather than thin and break down, will be seen. Also the effects of the longer oil change intervals in combo. With oils that safely can go 10k miles, but filters that were never designed for that longevity (and even completely rust out externally in 2 years) it makes it all interesting.

So, a synthetic oil that has been engineered to "safely" run and protect an "old" engine, isn't my first choice for use in a NEW modern engine,with a wet clutch, that has an RPM range almost triple that of the old cars..

Offline Bruiser

• Bruiser
  • Sport Tourer
  • kiss philosophy gets it done quicker and simpler
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 08:45:43 pm »
I use Amsoil Metric Motorcycle Oil in 10-40 wt. I’m not sure of the difference between the Metric and Non metric, but have used this on my ‘12, since it’s first oil change at the recommendation of the Amsoil manufacturer. I do use the OEM filter though, also at their recommendation. I also use Amsoil in both of my cars. All 3 vehicles get a full oil/filter change once a year. Each car accumulates approx 12,000 miles a year, my Concours about 6000. The drained oil in each vehicle looks almost brand new after all those miles. I also have a K+N air filter on each.
Bruiser

2012 Kawasaki C14
93 Kawasaki C10
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
1978 Honda CB750F
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1976 Honda 750K
1973 Honda CB500K
1973 Honda SL175
1972 Honda SL125