Author Topic: Madstad brackets  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Skiee

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 11459
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Madstad brackets
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 09:40:12 am »
I ordered a set and received them in about a month. After reading the instructions, the hardware kit seemed wrong.  Nothing matched on the parts list.  I emailed Madstad and sent pictures.  I got no reply, but about 5 days later I received an envelope in the mail with more nuts and bolts and stuff.  There was no further explanation or instruction.  The new hardware also did not match with the list on the instructions.  Mixing the old hardware with the new stuff also did not match what I was supposed to have.  I emailed again with no response.  I called with no answer on their end.  I emailed for a return authorization if they can't help me with the hardware. They promptly issued a return number, without any question or offer of help.  They also promptly refunded my money.  I am so disappointed.  The brackets themselves seemed very well made, and I was looking forward to the improvement on the bike.
Pretty much the same experience I had. I chose not to contact them and find the bolts myself.

Norm
2009 Concours 14 (Francis)
AMA# 3044870
CDA# 510

Offline pechorin75

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12135
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 03:09:04 pm »
I think I saw in another thread that they were moving or something last month, so that probably explains the difficulty with contact. My brackets shipped the day after I ordered them....only problem I had was the hardware.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 03:28:19 pm »
I ordered a set and received them in about a month. After reading the instructions, the hardware kit seemed wrong.  Nothing matched on the parts list.  I emailed Madstad and sent pictures.  I got no reply, but about 5 days later I received an envelope in the mail with more nuts and bolts and stuff.  There was no further explanation or instruction.  The new hardware also did not match with the list on the instructions.  Mixing the old hardware with the new stuff also did not match what I was supposed to have.  I emailed again with no response.  I called with no answer on their end.  I emailed for a return authorization if they can't help me with the hardware. They promptly issued a return number, without any question or offer of help.  They also promptly refunded my money.  I am so disappointed.  The brackets themselves seemed very well made, and I was looking forward to the improvement on the bike.
Pretty much the same experience I had. I chose not to contact them and find the bolts myself.

Norm

MY hardware also did not match the instructions but I was able to install with what they included. By the way my left adjusting knob vibrated loose and was lost. A new knob is only a  3 or 4 bucks but shipping was $24! I just put a suitable allen head bolt on since I never adjust it.

Offline Gibby

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12136
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 04:37:47 pm »
This is very disappointing to hear.  I was hesitant to pay so much for mere brackets but really close to pulling the trigger.  For that kind of money though I refuse to buy sub par products even if it's just the hardware.   Really too bad, guess I'll just wait until they get their act together.

Offline Old Steve

• Moped
  • COG#: 10537
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 12:28:25 am »
I'm having a very similar experience with the non-matching hardware.  I chalked it up to having kits for umpteen different bikes and only umpteen/2 bins to keep hardware in.  Now I'm getting nervous.  I sent an email to support@madstad describing the situation.  I'll update when I hear back from them.

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 10810
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 09:28:31 pm »
As a Concours owner end an employee of Madstad I will make it my personal issue to get to the bottom of the  C14 dissatisfaction.  there is nothing manufactured by Madstad that is not of the finest craftsmanship,  it's possible that errors can be made between the printing of an instruction manual and the list of required hardware for an installation,  so if you could please feel free to PM  with any further issues and I will do my best to PM anyone who has made a complaint thus far,  I have tens of thousands of miles on my Madstad products,  and I really don't see any legitimate complaint about craftsmanship or performance happening with one of these systems.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:25:50 pm by Capo »
James in Tampa. Currently being enjoyed are...04 C10,  86 C10 "Cooper" , 04 Honda vt750 "Christine" . The  only previously owned needing mention would be 74 gt750, I cant believe how many of us had a "water buffalo" !!!

Offline Old Steve

• Moped
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 01:29:56 am »
As a Concours owner end an employee of Madstad I will make it my personal issue to get to the bottom of the  C14 dissatisfaction.  there is nothing manufactured by Madstad that is not of the finest craftsmanship,  what mistakes can be made between the printing of an instruction manual and the required hardware for an installation,  so if you could please feel free to PM  with any further issues and I will do my best to PM anyone who has made a complaint thus far,  I have tens of thousands of miles on my Madstad products,  and I really don't see any legitimate complaint about craftsmanship or performance happening with one of these systems.

Hi James,
Thanks - PM sent.  The brackets look badass.  I think I just got the wrong bag of screws.

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 02:41:21 pm »
Ok folks there was a discrepancy in the list of hardware on the instruction manual in the list of hardware that we provide for that installation. As we're doing an installation on a Concours 1400 tomorrow morning there will be a revised and corrected list of hardware that is provided with  your purchase. thank you very much for your patience in allowing us to deal with this issue.

James in Tampa. Currently being enjoyed are...04 C10,  86 C10 "Cooper" , 04 Honda vt750 "Christine" . The  only previously owned needing mention would be 74 gt750, I cant believe how many of us had a "water buffalo" !!!

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10583
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2015, 05:16:07 pm »
As a Concours owner end an employee of Madstad I will make it my personal issue to get to the bottom of the  C14 dissatisfaction.  there is nothing manufactured by Madstad that is not of the finest craftsmanship,  it's possible that errors can be made between the printing of an instruction manual and the list of required hardware for an installation,  so if you could please feel free to PM  with any further issues and I will do my best to PM anyone who has made a complaint thus far,  I have tens of thousands of miles on my Madstad products,  and I really don't see any legitimate complaint about craftsmanship or performance happening with one of these systems.

James,   After you get the HARDWARE ISSUE straightened out, what are the chances of doing a GROUP BUY RATE   for COG MEMBERS??  I would be more interested if the price was say, 20% less.  Maybe sales would double on the brackets!!   Pass it along to upper management.
                           Thanks   ALAN in S. Fl    ;)

Offline Gibby

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12136
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2015, 05:48:13 pm »

James,   After you get the HARDWARE ISSUE straightened out, what are the chances of doing a GROUP BUY RATE   for COG MEMBERS??  I would be more interested if the price was say, 20% less.  Maybe sales would double on the brackets!!   Pass it along to upper management.
                           Thanks   ALAN in S. Fl    ;)

+1 and Roger that. 

If the hardware issue is resolved and group buy were a go you could count me in.   :beerchug:

Offline Jeff

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11971
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 07:05:24 pm »
+1 on the count me in if the hardware issue is resolved as well as a group discount for COG members. ;)

Offline Alan_Yucius_FL

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 10583
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 08:44:24 pm »
+1 on the count me in if the hardware issue is resolved as well as a group discount for COG members. ;)

:great:

Offline pechorin75

• Training Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12135
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 04:55:04 am »
Helluva lot of good that does those of us who bought at full price AND got the wrong hardware  ::)

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 11:14:37 am »
As of yet it only appears that EXTRA HARDWARE has been included. I will know more after today's c14 install. Thanks for standing by.

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2015, 11:36:51 am »
Okay guys this is how you attach the brackets to your bikes with the hardware that you were provided,  which is the correct hardware you just received too many pieces.
 first in the center hole is an m6x16 button head socket screw with a metal  flat washer and a lock washer on top of it.  and then in the center holes are in 5 X 16 Phillips head truss screws with a metal flat washer and lock washer on top of it.

as far as attaching the shield to the bracket now you use the m5 X25  Phillips head screws with a rubber washer below the shield on the top and bottom holes a plastic washer above the shield and in the center hole you're going to use the large shoulder washer with a metal washer above it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 11:43:12 am by Capo »

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Industry Member
  • I Need a Life
  • COG#: 6977
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 12:51:29 pm »
I can personally assure y'all that Madstad is addressing the issue. Capo is personally attending to it, and they are using my bike as the prototype bike for a new shield system! I think y'all will be impressed with what they come up with. Stay tuned - Steve

C-14 ECU flashing for performance and rideability enhancement
C-10 Carb work , cams, & performance enhancements
 " Modifications for sport-tourers, BY a sport-tourer"
https://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/home

Offline cuda

• Crotch Rocket
  • Ignorance Is Bliss.
  • COG#: 11405
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2015, 10:28:13 pm »
Well I hope they send me the new design :o
Two weeks ago I ordered a set and have not received them yet , not in any hurry, but would sure like to get the new design.

Has anyone tried them with that small Copperdawg sport shield , I love that shield around town but not at 70+mph :(
We have invented the world WE see .
It takes 20 years  to build a reputation and 5 minutes to lose it...   - Cog 11405

Offline Old Steve

• Moped
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2015, 07:17:56 pm »
Okay guys this is how you attach the brackets to your bikes with the hardware that you were provided,  which is the correct hardware you just received too many pieces.
 first in the center hole is an m6x16 button head socket screw with a metal  flat washer and a lock washer on top of it.  and then in the center holes are in 5 X 16 Phillips head truss screws with a metal flat washer and lock washer on top of it.

as far as attaching the shield to the bracket now you use the m5 X25  Phillips head screws with a rubber washer below the shield on the top and bottom holes a plastic washer above the shield and in the center hole you're going to use the large shoulder washer with a metal washer above it.

Capo,
I don't think we're quite there yet.
I used the two m6X16 socket screws in the center holes of the brackets connecting to the bike.
Then I used two of the four m5X16 Phillips head screws on each side.  So far, so good.
Each of the above six screws got a lock washer and a flat metal washer.  Now I'm out of flat metal washers.

I mean no offense, but I cannot be certain how to parse your sentence about attaching the shield to the bracket.  One thing I'm sure of is that I will need at least two more metal washers than were included with the kit.
The heads of the six m5X25 Phillips head screws and the plastic washers slip right through the screen.  The large plastic shoulder washers seem like they would help, but I only have four of them.  The small plastic shoulder washers are just barely bigger than the holes in the screen, and I don't trust them to hold at speed.
As far as I can tell, I'm going to need two more large shoulder washers and six more metal washers, but that last sentence is a doozy, so I'm not sure.
Can I ask you to take another look at the picture I sent and verify that the parts I have correspond to your instructions?

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2015, 03:54:37 pm »
Old Steve, I believe that you are correct in that you are 2 m5 metal washers short. Pm your addy please.
The large shoulder washers will be used in the center holes of your screen, sandwiched between a metal washer above and a rubber washer below, using an m5x25 screw. This will be tightened loosely at first leaving room to place a rubber washer between your screen and brackets for the top and bottom holes, tighten screws, place stock trim piece in place use m5x25 with plastic washer in the remaining 4 holes.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:06:13 pm by Capo »

Offline Old Steve

• Moped
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2015, 11:41:00 pm »
Capo,
Thanks for the clarification.  I picked up a couple of m5 washers from the local Ace, and got it done.  I took a quick zip on a nearby highway so I could get up to moderate speed  >:D
I noticed a definite reduction in wind noise, and the backdraft "suck-in" effect is completely gone.  It did seem like I was getting a bit more breeze on my elbows, but I don't expect that to be a problem.  I'm looking forward to getting on the freeway for a proper shakedown, but so far, so good!

Thanks again.

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 11:38:17 am »
Great Old Steve! We got that sorted! Ride safe, and enjoy!

Offline CalculatedRisk

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 12:45:21 am »
Please let us know when the new & improved design is out.

I'm getting quite a farkle list for when I have some $$$.

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 12:06:47 pm »
I'm not at all sure what you are referring to.

Offline Jeff

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: 11971
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 12:50:07 pm »
Capo,

I believe Calculated Risk when referring to the "new and improved design" simply means that the correct hardware and ONLY the correct hardware be included with the brackets.....no extra pieces and only the pieces required.  I personally am mechanically challenged so having incorrect pieces or extra pieces in a project boggles my mind.  A manufacture should provide clear, simple, precise installation instructions. 

Offline Bakerman

• Tricycle
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 02:16:47 pm »
I would think that as a manufacturer, Madstad would want to keep their costs as low as possible by only including what is required.  Adding additional pieces only increases production costs and customer confusion.  This could also help reduce the price of the kit.