Author Topic: Madstad brackets  (Read 5456 times)

Offline MikeB_CA

• Road Bike
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Re: Madstad brackets
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2015, 03:56:37 pm »
So, the 2 center "rubber nuts" spun and pulled completey out of my brackets...both of them

I emailed Madstad and they responded with "by the looks of the nut in the picture you used a power driver on the screws which destroyed them. We will send new screws to you.". A "power driver" on the screws for my windscreen...REALLY? I responded with, "if using my hand and a phillips screwdriver are a power driver then, "yes", I used a power driver". I proceeded to tell him, as nicely as I could, that I would NEVER use a power driver on my windscreen fasteners! Never have and never will, on any screw or bolt on my bike...sheesh ::)

Offline Waxbean

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 11759
  • Membership Level: Active
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2015, 06:56:00 pm »
And so a need for a new and improved kit....Mike I could tell those rubber plugs wouldn't hold so since I have access to a lathe I made up spacers( out of delrin) to fit inside the windshield holes(top and bottom 4) to create a solid stop between the top of the rubber and the back of the top trim piece. Works like a charm and holds everything snug and in place. Shouldn't be to hard to fabricate even with out a lathe and really should be included with the install kit.
2014 Concours 14 Red
1991 Connie sold
1996 KLR sold
2006 Ninja 650 sold
Dang I'm down to one bike...but its a good one!

Offline Jeff

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 11971
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2015, 07:23:12 pm »
Looks like Madstad still has quite a ways to go to provide a reliable product? ???

Offline Capo

• Street Cruiser
  • Greasy Side Down
  • COG#: 10810
  • Membership Level: Expired - Expired Term
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 09:02:48 pm »
The instruction manual and the hardware provided is correct it has been revised. As far as the well nuts that were destroyed of the above user he is the only customer that has ever complained of such an issue with one of the Madstad systems,  and you must have been using that number two Phillips screwdriver with some serious wrist action man,  there is no need to tighten anything like a gorilla on anything on your motorcycle except maybe your head bolts with a torque wrench.  your instruction manual strictly States snug and not overtighten, simply follow the instructions provided.  we are always improving our designs however,  but what Madstad offers is nothing less than stellar craftsmanship there is no reason to over torque a screw to the point of destruction  of anything.  I have tens of thousands of miles, a high-side, and a head on collision with my Madstad system folks,  never an issue never a complaint not even about a well nut.   Sorry if I sound harsh, but I have been a Cogger long before I was employed by Madstad and this product had me  long before my employment started.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 01:27:10 am by Capo »
James in Tampa. Currently being enjoyed are...04 C10,  86 C10 "Cooper" , 04 Honda vt750 "Christine" . The  only previously owned needing mention would be 74 gt750, I cant believe how many of us had a "water buffalo" !!!

Offline Rev.Brian

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12692
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2017, 05:10:00 pm »
I installed Madstad brackets on my 2017 last night. The bag of screws, washers, etc. was a mess. At least 10 leftover parts. I am a huge Madstad fan. Have used them on other bikes but... I'm really concerned. Some of these rubber stoppers have pulled out. Washers don't precisely align. Does anyone have any advice for better screws, wingnuts, etc ? The bracket is great. I'm just not sure the windshield will stay on.

Offline Motor Psycho

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12190
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2017, 12:38:27 am »
I put those brackets on my 2015. Madstad apparently does know that the windshields are different on 2015 and newer. I ended up at the local hardware store for longer screws and new rubber grommets. Once installed it's great. One of the best mods I've done.

Offline Rock

• Road Bike
  • Ride it if you got it!
  • COG#: 5879
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2017, 08:18:25 pm »
All:

I just received an MRA X screen and mounted on my 2013 C14 w/stock shield. The parts seem to be of a very good quality but I had issue with the instructions. However, I called them and the customer service guy was very helpful. After two hours it was on and looks good. Two short rides and I like. There are so many position possible with the stock screen. I'm 5'10" and have found about two different positions that work well for me around town and on the freeway.

I got this system after a "ride" to Boston from GA; two days each way of 11-12 hrs and tons of turbulence! I'd say at 70 mph turbulence and noise reduced at least 70%.

Phil

Phil
COG5879
2013 C14 "SR71"