Author Topic: maybe an old subject...starting a 2008  (Read 494 times)

Offline lulu

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 9635
  • Membership Level: Active
maybe an old subject...starting a 2008
« on: September 23, 2018, 01:22:17 pm »
After sitting under a cover in the yard for 6 weeks my 2008 seemed dead.  I made sure the battery was charged (it was) and have replaced the batteries in the fobs, even though I new I didn't really need to.  Bike won't react to pushing the key in.  Where do I slap it awake?

Offline MtnRider

• Just when I think I have all my ducks in a row, one of the fluffy f****rs wonders off and gets into some sh*t...
  • Training Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 12840
Re: maybe an old subject...starting a 2008
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 01:28:39 pm »
From what I've seen MoB and others state, the first thing to do is take the frame ground connection (next to the battery) apart, clean the frame, all the terminals and bolt and reassemble. It develops corrosion easily that acts as an insulator.
2015 Black C14
It works ok, I'm going to improve it. It works better, I'm going to improve it. It works great, I'm going to imp.... Sh*t, I broke it!!!

Offline lulu

• Tricycle
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 04:02:11 pm »
Always good to start with the basics, but everything there is splendid.  I cleaned it anyway.......no difference.  Another clue....the last time I took the bike out (600 mile round trip) one of the fobs stopped working.  I always make sure I have both in case of....ya know.  The one that worked functioned normally.  When neither seemed to work today, I just replaced the batteries in both thinking they were now both dead.

Ideas?

Offline Bud

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 04:14:02 pm »
Have the battery load tested somewhere.  One of the auto parts stores will do that for you free.  Just because a battery shows a charge with no load doesn't mean it will provide proper voltage under a load.  It's cheap to try.

Offline lulu

• Tricycle
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 05:52:36 pm »
Another good suggestion.  The battery is less then a year old and is maintained...a gel type.  I'll get it tested, but I can't even get the screen to light up.  A good charger was hooked up to the battery on slow charge with the intention of bringing it back slow, but the charger showed it as topped off after only about a half hour.

I'd love any other suggestions people might have.  Thanks for responding.

Offline BigK

• Scooter
  • COG#: 3642
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 05:53:17 pm »
Try letting the key pop back up after pushing it down. Then try tapping the around the ignition key housing sometimes sticks. Also there is a connection under the left side I believe to disconnect and reconnect. Try searching K-rock. Then check main fuse. Good luck.
Kevin
Indy AAD

Offline ddtmoto

• Road Bike
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 09:45:40 pm »
Odds are, it's a connection between the frame and battery and cable end and/or terminal connection. They ALL to be removed, sanded, greased. Both the cable end and where it grounds to the frame...looking clean isn't sufficient in this case.
04 GSXR1000
97 TLS1000
01 DRZ400E
09 Black on black ZG14...

Offline Freddy

• Scooter
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 04:12:44 am »
It sounds like the KIPASS activation switch under the stove-knob key is stuck.  This was an issue on some early production bikes.  Search K-Rock as Big K said

See reply 11 below. The plug he mentions in point 3 is grey in colour.

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/help-key-will-not-turn/msg606064/#msg606064
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:18:24 am by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline Just Cliff

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 9547
  • Membership Level: Event Host
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 11:06:38 am »
After 6 weeks being parked & covered you could have a mouse that's taken up residency. Check under the seat & tank for a nest & chewed wires
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:11:51 am by Just Cliff »
Cliff
2008 Concours, 200,000 miles & counting. 
2014 1000 V Strom

Offline Pittsburgh_Clem

• Street Cruiser
  • COG#: 11340
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 11:01:52 pm »
After 6 weeks being parked & covered you could have a mouse that's taken up residency. Check under the seat & tank for a nest & chewed wires

:) True   The little Bast%@# got into my Mini
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover – Mark Twain.

Offline TimR

• Global Moderator
  • Iron Butt
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: 9032
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 05:55:22 pm »
Even when parked there is  slight drain on the battery. Clock etc. Six weeks without a charge will kill a battery. If the charger shows the battery as full after short period and the kipass won't even light up with a key pushed, your battery is toast. Time for a new one. Tim
Blue 1975 Z1B 900, Red 09 C14     I might not be perfect but at least I don't ride a Suzuki

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • COG#: 5977
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 12:19:08 am »
Even when parked there is  slight drain on the battery. Clock etc. Six weeks without a charge will kill a battery. If the charger shows the battery as full after short period and the kipass won't even light up with a key pushed, your battery is toast. Time for a new one. Tim

I'm not going to be argumentative about that statement, but a fully charged, and relatively new battery, with clean connections, would never be rendered down to a point of 'no start', even after 2 months.. unless it was incapable of taking, and holding a charge (i.e. it got frozen).
The immobilzer light goes off after 24 hours, and the clock 'time maintenance' iirc  is done by a capacitor..
even if the clock was "running" off battery power, there is no 'draw' on the system resulting in anything more than a milli-amp. The same 'clock' chip runs on a reduced volt/amp just like a digital watch....

but I do agree, that a presumably good battery (presumablyuntil actually load tested) that held a charge, may have a bad connection.. and if it's fully charged (volts), and clean cables, wont even turn the engine, or light the display... then it may be toast, but even a toasted batt, with 10v, will light the display.

I'd be suspicious of the charger at that point.. they do fail... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...