Author Topic: Melting Tach and speedo needles  (Read 1566 times)

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
  • AREA: Southeast Area
  • COG#: 12307
  • Membership Level: Active
Melting Tach and speedo needles
« on: June 02, 2019, 07:47:08 pm »
 When I got the bike the cluster had some warping from sun. I knew this is an issue and always cover my gauges when stopped. I have noticed my needed are melting on the little short end. I have watched them get worse over time.  Yes its  V stream . Yes I also run the stock .  Yes I cover the gauges when stopped.
 I have been riding in some very hot bright days lately and I think its happening while riding . Ive read many posts on this known problem and its always recommended
getting them changed under warranty.   I have no warranty on and '08. so what to do?
 I mean at this point its just cosmetic but I need to stop the damage from worsening. Anyone figured out what to do here?
 I can buy gauges on ebay but then my odometer will be off so  to me thats a last resort. Im assuming the needles are not replaceable.  Or live with it

2016 C-14

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
Re: Melting Tach and speedo needles
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:21:27 pm »
On my 08 the center of the dash and the round pieces of the needles melted and warped. I took the dash apart and replaced it with a spare I had. I attempted to pull the needles off of their shafts and replace them too but they would not come off using the maximum force I dared, so I gave up on that. THe situation as I recall from many years back is that the edge of the shield is acting like a magnifying glass and focu :osing hot sun rays and cooking the plastic. The solution was to roughen up the glossy edge of the windscreen with some sandpaper. I did this and have since had no worsening of the situation.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 12:07:40 pm by lather, Reason: corrected spelling »

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 11:34:14 pm »
Thanks lather.  Ill do the edges. I guess I wast thinking.  I could swap the gauges if they get too bad. I had it on my mind it would effect the odometer. But I forgot they are separate.
2016 C-14

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Northwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 02:25:03 pm »
We had a similar issue on another bike thread, it turned out some aftermarket windscreens were focusing the sun onto the gauges when either parked, or on a ride. Personally, I've been in 109 temps for hours on end and even parked and never had this happen. On either the ZX14 or the C14.

Hope you get yours fixed.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Hosspower

• Bicycle
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12782
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 04:27:50 pm »
After reading this, I went out to check the edges of my V-Stream. The edges on my V-Stream are not polished at all. In fact they look a little rough. It was bought new last summer. I wonder if a change was made in production as a result of melting gauges. When I had a Cee-Bailey shield (before the V-Stream), I remember being in awe of how beautifully polished the edges were.
Rob
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 ABS - Kong

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 07:14:25 pm »
Looked at mine too . The edges, while not rough are not polished either.
 I think the gauges need a hood over them . I saw a thread where some one had made one out of a tinted visor. Mine are not too bad yet but I do need to stop the damage.
2016 C-14

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 12:06:52 pm »
Interesting ... not heard of this issue; I need to go check mine, but maybe with my stock windshield it's fine. Sorry to hear/find you have/had the problem
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline smithr1

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 6197
  • Membership Level: Asst. Area Director
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 05:47:36 pm »
I do remember this being an issue in the first couple years, 08-09.  The one guy I knew always tossed a towel over his gauges when parking outside in hot weather.   I had it happen on an old Honda I had.  I ended up cutting the tips of the speedo needle because it rubbed on the lens and would not read correct.
---
Bob Smith (smithr)
Austin, Texas baby!
2010 Kawasaki Concours, Midnight Blue
COG 6197, CDA 107

Offline Road Runner

• Street Cruiser
  • Beep! Beep! ... YeeHa!
    • 2 Hearts for Integrity Ministries
  • COG#: 12399
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 08:04:11 pm »
I do remember this being an issue in the first couple years, 08-09.  The one guy I knew always tossed a towel over his gauges when parking outside in hot weather.   I had it happen on an old Honda I had.  I ended up cutting the tips of the speedo needle because it rubbed on the lens and would not read correct.

Good to know ... be aware of on the really hot days! Thx
David L. Hamil
Athens/Decatur/Huntsvile, AL area
'13 ZG1400 "Metallic Spark Black"

Offline gpd323

• Crotch Rocket
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 02:39:21 pm »
I looked at my 2006 ZX14 and 2013 C14 gauges, no issues, look new.
Greg Downing
Beautiful Downtown Spanaway
Washington State

Ride while you can.

Offline Baggerjohn

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 06:30:53 pm »
I think the gauges need a hood over them . I saw a thread where some one had made one out of a tinted visor.
Several years ago, someone was offering a black textured ABS dash visor. I bought one in 2010 when I got my first C14. It works very well at keeping the dash protected from glare.

A couple years later I bought a 2012. Alas, whomever was selling the visors had closed up shop. I made a template of cardboard by using the 2008's visor as a reference, transferred the curve to a bunch of 1/2" plywood squares and cut them out on my band saw. They were glued together and sanded smooth, then a piece of 1/4" wrinkled black ABS was cut and shaped to match the edge curves of the original visor. It was placed over the form with a couple of tie-downs then the whole thing was placed in a 200-degree oven to allow it to soften and bend to shape.

This was about 99% successful...as I'm a perfectionist. I can see a little unevenness in the thing though most people can't. If I build another I'll make a matching plywood form die and compress the ABS sheet between them while heating. then allow everything to cool overnight before removing from the oven.

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 06:45:20 pm »
 Baggerjohn that visor is what I was looking for . I guess its no longer available? well darn.  Im thinking If I can come up with a tinted helmet visor I can cut it to shape and use Velcro or two sided tape to hold it in place. I always cover the gauges when parked but as i said I think its happening while riding.
2016 C-14

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 01:51:20 am »
Rather than start a new thread Ill stay with this on.  I sold the 08' and today I purchased a 2016.  It has the same V-stream windshield so The first thing I looked at at was the needles and sure nuff the speedo needle has a tiny bit of melt. Tach looks good.  This is a real issue and makes me want to pull the V stream.
 Sux because its a great shield otherwise. I may contact V stream just to see what they say .
2016 C-14

Offline 2andBlue

• Tricycle
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 03:42:27 pm »
Has anyone attempted a small amount of breaking / buffing the edge of shield?  This, I would expect, should  eliminate the honing to a near laser the edge of the shield is performing to the sunlight.

Dremel or similar with a thick cotton abrasive applied parallel along edge...?

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 09:55:39 pm »
Here is  the reply I got from National Cycle this morn.

Hi Stanley,

What has happened to the gauges is a rare occurrence that can happen with any curved windshield on a motorcycle. It's from the sun's reflection hitting the inside of the windshield at multiple points, and reflecting into one focal point on or near the dash where the plastic material is smooth and prone to melting. It is not refraction (magnifying glass effect), but rather reflection (mirror effect).

This can happen on any motorcycle, with any windshield (aftermarket and OEM). There is no way to 100% remove the possibility of this on any curved windshield. Here are some examples of members of forums experiencing the same problem on a R1200GS:
http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/2-general-chatter/1335-instrument-cluster-melted.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674326

Best ways to avoid this is to park FACING the sun (again, it's not acting as a magnifying glass - it's a mirror), or throw a rag or t-shirt over the dash when parking. We haven't ever seen one melt while riding, the airflow and natural vibration of the windshield doesn't allow a focal point stay long enough to cause any melting.

Thanks,
2016 C-14

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
  • COG#: 4090
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 10:38:35 pm »
Sounds like it's time to keep a cloth handy to thow over my dash for this rare problem
Harry in Wild and Windy Casper, WY - 2015 "Greendammit"
https://harrymartincartoons.com

Offline strum

• Street Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 11:15:00 pm »
Yeah The term "Rare"   gave me a chuckle.
2016 C-14

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 11:22:26 pm »
I'd like to know what angle the sun would need to be at to cause this problem and what the outdoor temperature would have to be.
I park in the shade or throw my riding jacket over my dash when I'm parked cause I know it gets hot on that dash.

Offline Old Man on a Connie

• South West Area Director (Past)
  • I Need a Life
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: 9932
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2019, 02:09:43 am »
This was from a SW member now a SC member. Take an old (or buy a new) tinted drop down inner visor. The curvature fits pretty well. Attach velcro on the top of the gauge cluster and on the inner tinted shield and apply. I'll search for a pic. Clean install and look's like it works.
"I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do, It's a Concours. A C14 '11 silver to be precise." OTP 2017 Traveler. It was a Blast Baby. Still in it to Win it.

Offline Harry Martin

• ☺ Cartoonist ☺
  • Industry Member
  • Crotch Rocket
  • Fear is not boring
    • Harry Martin Cartoons
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 04:19:45 am »
I'm sorry to hear about all the melted indicators, really.

Reminds me of a friend who rode his Ducati to work everyday in the searing LA heat.
He used a twin bedsheet to cover his bike. The corners were knotted with simple bungee cords and strapped to whatever. Cheap and effective. Kept the sun off.

I always just used my full cover even tho it was more work.

I guess a simpler solution is to slip a pillow case over the windshield and use a single bungee cord to tie it down over the dash. I'll try that and see how it works.

Offline Phil

• Mini Bike
  • COG#: forum
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 04:03:21 pm »
As for aftermarket windshields are concerned, one of my needles melted shortly after I got my 2009, new in 2010, with the stock windshield. I already had a CalSci windshield on order, and have had no more issues with melting needles since installing it.

Offline flashback50

• Road Bike
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 04:33:00 pm »
I have A Vstream on my 13 and had it on my 08 and have no issues so far with either. When parked in sun I cover gauges with a micro fibre cloth