Author Topic: Mirror grommet  (Read 623 times)

Offline hawksbe

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
Mirror grommet
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:14:06 am »
I had the top fill panels off today and noticed that the grommet that is part of the mirror was broken on each side.  This is the plastic grommet that protrudes into the fairing and contains the nut that the middle bolt of the fill panels goes into.  So on both sides, I can’t secure the middle bolts of the fill panels.  Has anyone run into this before and what did you do (other than replace the mirrors? Thanks, Ben

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: Mirror grommet
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 03:16:33 am »
Happened on 5 of my 08 mirrors. Replaced one mirror, tried to epoxy the others, no success. Better luck so far with 09 mirrors.

Offline lather

• Street Cruiser
    • West Florida Republic Riders Club
  • AREA: South Central Area
  • COG#: 10690
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 03:19:51 am »
Epoxy is too brittle and breaks. Try a plastic welder with the appropriate plastic rods.

Offline Deepsea

• Living large in the land of Hansel & Gretel
  • Crotch Rocket
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 06:53:21 am »

I'm going to a**-U-ME  :-[  you're talking about the small tab where the wellnut is inserted.

I've successfully use thermo plastic as a backing held in place by Plastic Weld Epoxy. One other way if you're not averse to strong/toxic chemicals is to melt some Legos (PVC) with Butanone, also called MEK (MethylEthylKetone) or Acetone. You don't want to make them liquid just a paste. Lightly sand the area you're going to repair and wipe it with an MEK or Acetone dampened rag then use a popsicle stick (or whatever works for you) to spread the Lego goo in place. After all the MEK evaporates file/ground to finished shape. Or buy a PVC repair kit, but it's pretty much the same thing in a box. Wear some good Nitrile gloves and try not to breathe the fumes.
BSA Gold Star, Norton Commando, Moto Guzzi V-7 Sport, Norton Commando, John Player Norton, BMW R90S, Kawasaki Z-1 and Z-1R , Honda CB-650, C-14
El Mirage Record Holder A-BG 3000cc 11/83 184.049 mph  CDA#0438
(twin engine, twin turbo, Z-1)
Retired Navy Saturation Diver

Offline hawksbe

• Big Wheels
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 09:29:21 am »
Thanks guys.   I decided to just order two mirrors.   Sounds like this is kind of an ordinary occurrence.

Offline Irreverend Joe

• Bicycle
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 12367
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:42:58 pm »
I've got this exact issue on both sides.  :(  Fortunately the bike still runs fine with two out of three bolts holding those pieces on.   
2009 C14 non-ABS, Metallic Diablo Black, Area P full system, Canyon Cages (front and back), Murph's risers and wedges, Givi ES450 Monolock trunk, Phil's rack, Sargent low seat, Steve's flash, Top Block swing arm and axle sliders
2011 Honda CBR250R, not farkled much yet but I'm working on it

Offline old n slow

• Moped
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: Forum
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 04:08:04 pm »
Thanks guys.   I decided to just order two mirrors.   Sounds like this is kind of an ordinary occurrence.

Holy cow! Thats alot of bucks to fix two non structural fasteners that will break again!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:13:20 pm by old n slow »
Mike D.   

old n slow...it's my way of life☺

Offline hawksbe

• Big Wheels
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 09:23:18 am »
Yeah, I know.  It was about $250 all together.   Really not necessary, it's just that I can't stand to have something broken on the bike.   It's more in my head than a real issue.