Author Topic: My experience using a used KIPASS module to replace a module with no FOBS  (Read 519 times)

Offline LlamaResistance

• Big Wheels
  • AREA: Southwest Area
  • COG#: Forum
  • Membership Level: Forum Subscriber
So one month ago I stupidly let my only FOB get destroyed.  :-[ I had seen advice recommending a used KIPASS module and FOB which thanks to Bill here I was able to get. Now I don't know if this is a lack of experience at the dealership or if this will hold true for anyone trying to use a used module but I had to get both the Ignition module and ECM from Bill because they could not overwrite the codes in the KIPASS module to associate them with the ones on my bike. The dealer explained that those registers come blank on a brand new part and are not overwrite-able once that have been associated with the other two modules.  I'm not gonna complain because I do get a Sefsick tune on the ECM which I have been wanting but I would like to share the experience for others who may be in the same situation. Maybe some others with KDS experience can chime in but I'd recommend to those looking for used KIPASS modules to get the ignition module (easiest way is just to pull the top triple tree and send the whole unit) and ECM as well, at least on '10+ C14's.  At least the dealer didn't rake me over the coals on labor hours for this experience.

Big shout out to Bill for his help. While his '12 may be done, it has given new life to mine and without his help I'd be spending alot more time on four wheels than two.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
  • AREA: North Central Area
  • COG#: 5977
  • Membership Level: Active
Re: My experience using a used KIPASS module to replace a module with no FOBS
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:48:25 pm »
I don't have the most recent book on KDS, mine is for ver 3 revision 1...
not sure if it changed, but I don't know, the version I have says Smart ECU + FOBS can be installed without the steering lock issue, but error messeges may pop up, also there is a very specific order that has to be followed during these process', if they simply missed a step, or jumped the gun and instead of pressing the ignition, tthey pressed and turned on, prior to the KDS being attached, or failed in any way to follow the steps completely as noted, it will fudge it up...

the Ignition and FI ECU's also needs to be "registered" during this process of the main ECU/FOB install,
so the order is;
Smart ECU and fobs
Steering lock re-reg
FI ECU re-reg
Immobilizer chip verification and re-reg if needed.

Plugging in the computer or activating switch out of sequence is likely the suspect...
sequences attached below... the order would be last pages first, then followed by prior pages...

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:58:32 pm by MAN OF BLUES »

30 YEARS OF KAW.....Rich R. (the other one..)  COG 5977  JUSTAMEMBAHNOW
and if you are gonna call me names... it's MR. Analdweeb if you please...

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:53:18 pm »
Yeah MOB that's the process, with this be a mandatory non-step, tho I have not personally done it.

or jumped the gun and instead of pressing the ignition, they pressed and turned on
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:32:11 pm by Freddy »
The best substitute for brains is ..............what?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 01:38:56 am »
like I said, simple misunderstood changes of the process bring the whole thing to a point of "turn it all off, unplug everything, and start over, following the sequences"...
I ran into this on an issue the folks had at a local dealership, and even tho the tech programmed my new TPS units correctly, when he left the place, the new tech hadn't a clue, nor could he follow directions specifically to the way they were written...
Luckily the dealer remembered me, and the head of the Shop, did also, and they caalled me up, and asked me to stop in, and go thru it with the 'new' tech... I did, with no question, and when he shortcutted one step, and I saw it happen, pointed it out... but he said "oh, that won't matter..." then he had a failure to program.. I walked him thru, and amazingly it worked...
oh, I never got paid for my time "teaching the kid"... did get a "thank you " from the owner, but 3 months later they went out of business.. go figure.

Offline Staylo

• Mini Bike
  • AREA: Northeast Area
  • COG#: 12548
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 02:04:48 am »
... but he said "oh, that won't matter..."
This right here is why I don’t trust taking my bike to the dealership. The turnover of ‘techs’ at my local dealer is so high that I don’t think any of the kids have any real ‘experience’. The owner always responds “they’ve attended factory training“. Well, attending school, and being ‘competent’ aren’t the same thing.  The dealer also sells Ducati, so before I have the Concours I took my Ducati in for a chain and sprocket replacement. I figured, virtually every bike they sell has a chain and sprocket on it, so they probably do those all the time. Shortly thereafter I took the bike to a track day, and the tech inspection failed the bike because the chain was too tight(Unfortunately, it never crossed my mind to double check the work). With no rider on the bike, the chain was already tight.  No slack. Luckily, it was a Ducati-sponsored track day, so another Ducati dealer was on hand providing tech-support. I took the bike over to have them re-adjust the chain, and when they went to loosen the pinch bolts on the swingarm eccentric (it was a single-sided swingarm bike), they had to use a breaker bar and a pipe to get those bolts loose. The tech said those bolts were only supposed to take like 22 foot pounds of torque. I’ve never been back to that dealer for service since.
Lancaster County, PA
'11 C14

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
  • AREA: Northwest Area
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 06:54:09 pm »
I’m attempting to register a fob today. Have my KDS on a laptop. Got my adapter. Removed the side cover of the ignition switch out of curiosity and if I press on the solenoid it turns over. Is it supposed to start then?
It didn’t. May be bad gas.
I looked everywhere for the plug for the kipsss ecu on my 2014. Cant find one that matches my extension to my adapter.
Does anyone know where it is?  Pic?
I thought I’d give my KDS a chance before I hailed it to the dealer because I’m poor.
And happy Veterans Day!  I’m army vet and work at the veterans hospital here.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 08:01:33 pm »
What version of the KDS do you have?
Do you have the book that came with it?, My book shows specifically all the connections, on each bike it can be used on, and also the harness' and instructions for each step/stage/process..

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 10:23:47 pm »
Your bike has 2 KDS connectors under the seat towards the rear - one is for KIPASS, the other is for ABS.  Neither of those will plug into the KDS black box (converter) without the 57001-1745 adapter cable, [whereas the series 1 bike (non-K-ACT) will plug directly into it, as the bike's plugs are different.]

Also there is the early and later KDS black box: 57001-1648 early type requires the 57001-1724 'countermeasure cable'  whereas the 57001-1725 later black box does not need that cable, just the -1745 cable.

Not sure why you would need to 'play' with ign switch - leave it alone I'd suggest.

I have the 2016 KDS training package I'll post a link to shortly, and you may need the latest KDS software 57001-1802

Link removed by request.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:00:38 pm by Freddy »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 11:31:24 pm »
thanks for that info Freddy, greatly apreciated, wish I could have attended that class... would help greatly, knowing most dealers techs probably never got that education...

also found great 'humor' in the way they addressed the "k-rock' issues we so creatively brought to light, and found the temporary fix for... and also the work around for disassembling and fixing the actual "problem"... that is priceless.... :great: :great: :great:

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 06:27:04 am »
Yes, whoever put that training package together knew her/his onions.   :)

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2018, 05:11:27 pm »
So. Let me get this straight. For the kipass system with the old KDS system I need 2 new cables?

Countermeasure cable 57001-1724
Post-2010 comm “Y” cable 57001-1745

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• I Need a Life
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2018, 05:50:30 pm »
So. Let me get this straight. For the kipass system with the old KDS system I need 2 new cables?

I don't think you are understanding what Freddy said, and what the linked download book shows....
thats  why I asked what specific KDS system YOU were using... and if you had the book for that specific KDS that you have.....his download, and the stuff about the NEW KDS SYSTEM, applies to that NEW system, not the old original one, which should be fine if used on an older bike. A newer model and New KDS has a different interface and to use the NEW KDS on an older bike, requires the additional cables.

I think.... If I'm reading him right, and after reading the 111 page book he linked to.... maybe reading that book will clarify.....

but I may be wrong again....

Offline Lee

• Tricycle
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2018, 07:40:52 pm »
I have a 2014 concours. I have the pre 2010 KDS. The plugs don’t match. I was confirming the correct plug cables to make it work.

Offline Freddy

• Road Bike
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 11:08:16 pm »

Correct, and maybe newer software too.   

The -1745 cable is needed to connect both the older and newer black box to a 2010 and later model as the bike's plugs were then 'standardised.'
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:20:36 am by Freddy »